What's new
i thought the 2a/b/c system used sensors around the screen and a camera in the gun??
no sir, Model 2 still used traditional CRT guns though it did have an exteral Gun IO board to process the position and report it back over a serial connection. Jurassic Park the Lost world on Model 3 was the first game to use the IR gun setup, it was the only Model 3 game to do so, and it ALSO supported the Model 2 style guns and IO board. After that Hikaru NAOMI and on were all IR guns for Sega.

about jitter, not sure.
i'v not tried mine on 25khz yet.
mostly i'm re-syncing 60hz stuff in weird ways - best not to ask about that but it's ps3 related.

i'm in the middle of doing that mod though - so should be interesting when my clock generator gets delivered :)

Always get the GBS8220....the 8200 is not so good...
But the jitter is still there on my Air Inferno pcb.
Could be because of my hv sync.combiner circuit in there though.....

how did you do it?
you should use a 74ls86 or a 74hct86
xor them together

Only a 74ls86 with some resistors and caps...
Im pretty sure the jitters com from the gonbes

Doing some digging, I've been looking for the most optimal monitor I could use with the Model 2 light gun games on original h/w. I didn't want to try going after an arcade monitor for these. Unfortunately, as I did my research I discovered that most PC CRTs do NOT do 25khz medium res, even if they say "multi-sync" in them. Seems like the majority of them made from 1991 onward do 31khz or higher for the horizontal sync. :unsure:

So I took a risk and found a (partially tested; powers on) vintage chunk'o'treasure - Eizo/Nanao FlexScan 8060S, built in 1987, but I heard via other folks that used Amigas and other older computers that it supports 15-35khz RGB. While I know how to work my way around the schematics of the game and parts, I wonder if anybody actually has used this particular monitor, or a similar one. Theoretically I would need to make a breakout adapter with a DB9 cable as it does not have a standard 15-pin DSUB connector. If it arrives in working order and I get a game out to test, I'll posts pics and an update. More than likely I feel like it will display bleached colors due to the Model2's impedance levels; I have a transducer board that fixes that but still displays "natively" across my compatible LCDs.

As for light guns, I'll start tinkering with Virtua Cop 2 on Model 2A, as it's a much easier game to find the ROM Board for than HOD and they're quite cheap. It's my 2nd favorite light gun game, anyway.
Back in the day I had a late '90s Sony VAIO monitor I used with the first HOD game via emulation and the Act-Labs gun. It had a pretty stellar audio system, but the current sound emulation isn't great in its one supported emulator that is closed source.

Attachments

• MASSIVE-139420-829.jpg
    MASSIVE-139420-829.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
look into old apple or apple-compatable monitors.
some macs ran 24KHz
Thank you. I'll look at those if all else fails. I know where I can get the gun parts but it's just a matter of piecing it all. The Lost World: Jurassic Park in M3 Step 1.5 actually supports the Type 1 guns using old code from a location test build, though the final product came with the IR Type 2 gun technology used in Naomi and later. Those were a technician's complete nightmare!

So as I got the adapters I needed to test my Nanao FlexScan 8060S monitor, I was able to successfully get it working on Model 2/3, and I popped out Fighting Vipers 2 to test. Now, the one issue I'm having is that the image is slightly off center, and doesn't fill the screen the whole way. I wired my DB9 connector to the Nanao as:
Pin 1. Red
Pin 2. Green
Pin 3. Blue.
Pin 4. Composite (analog) sync
Pin 9. GND

Do I need to run pin 5 (vertical) to sync as well? I would like to have a more fuller screen for my gun games but I may have to just live with it for the time being. I'm amazed it works though.
Edit: I found out the monitor has V and H-positional knobs... oh I'm so dumb... it's been a good monitor though. Very small but fingers crossed I can get her working with the gun & IO.

Attachments

• received_691269495342426.jpeg
    received_691269495342426.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
@Woodpross3r (ConversusWV) i wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the first time that monitor has seen a 24khz signal. You may simply need to calibrate the image size using the monitors dials or on-screen-display. HSize, HPos, Vsize, VPos… settings like that. Anyway… Hooray FV2!

Yeah, I messed around with the dials and it stretches up to a certain amount. Definitely a non-standard resolution.
And yes, FV2 is fantastic!!
I have no doubt that VC2 and HOD will work with the gun IO hooked. Just more worried about the screen size when aiming for Justice Shots and headshots.

Back