What's new

Mrhide

Enlightened
Reaction score
I find myself in a weird position:
I have always mocked ugly diy arcade cabinets and now I want to build some to host nanao 33 inch MS8-33K monitors... and I don't want it to suck!

the MVS-Ux/33 series are what I want. The manual also has all the measurements:

mvs-33.jpg

I have friends who love projects and we have
- one evening a night where we meet and ...need projects to keep us occupied this winter.
- a friend who can do autocad
- a waterjet shop
- a machinist and a shop.
- a powdercoat place
- me who wants to throw money at it, doing 2 cabs: one horizontal and one vertical ... wait no: rotating will be possible instead!

Doing it in wood would obviously be cheaper, quicker and ...uglier :( even if we would use nice wood (like oak?).
Do you think we can do it in metal? apart from @hursit , anybody else built metal cabs that don't suck?

good and bad comments welcome !

Last edited:
Do you have access to a CNC press brake? I feel like that would be pretty helpful for your goal of making this project not look crappy.

the bottom half is made out of wood and vinyl wrapped with a metal frame holding it together. Maybe you could take this approach?
ah ! a mix of both ... hadn't thought of that. Interesting! thanks!

@gigasturtz I don't ... but a manual one, yes. (you can see it in this thread). I agree that a cnc one would indeed make it not suck!
@jermz1 I can't seem to find yinchun_sun on IG

thanks all ! keep 'em coming

I have what I assume is an original OK Baby cabinet where the bottom half is made out of wood and vinyl wrapped with a metal frame holding it together. Maybe you could take this approach?

I think this particular cab had some major body repair done to it. An OK Baby didn't mix wood and plastic construction afaik, although it's been several years since I last saw one in person.

Oddly enough, the OK Baby is most likely a clone of the Tecmo Kyotaro Excellent, but the regular Kyotaro (non deluxe non Excellent) did feature wood in the construction of the body.

1668561740729.png

I think this particular cab had some major body repair done to it. An OK Baby didn't mix wood and plastic construction afaik, although it's been several years since I last saw one in person.

Oddly enough, the OK Baby is most likely a clone of the Tecmo Kyotaro Excellent, but the regular Kyotaro (non deluxe non Excellent) did feature wood in the construction of the body.

1668561740729.png
I've thought the same as I've never seen another one like it but there's no way someone made this by hand, it has too many details in the construction.

So more talk and financial details about this tonight:
With just the cost of Metal, metal folding and powdercoat, we are at close to 3000$ canadian.

Lets say that’s double my initial estimates.
And we have done nothing yet.

Going to sleep on it 😑

So more talk and financial details about this tonight:
With just the cost of Metal, metal folding and powdercoat, we are at close to 3000$ canadian.

Lets say that’s double my initial estimates.
And we have done nothing yet.

Going to sleep on it 😑
hey buddy
sorry i could not reply this, im extemely busy nowadays because of the production of CPS2-3 cases.

To create a metal cabinet only 1 pc is not good idea. Metal is good for the mass production. I suggest wood working.

And please pm to me or discord to talk about details. I always want to help you ;)

@Mrhide - Hursit's right.

I worked for one of the Arcade cardless system companies, and was privy to what the kiosks cost, as they were vetting new partnerships for manufacturing.

Just an empty kiosk, powdercoated, with door hinges and hardware trays, mount brackets etc, was close to 5k, and that's without any of the computers/monitors/printers inside, and us committing to like 400-800 a year.

It was a bit more complex than the candy you've designed, but not by that much.

Metal work on that scale is expensive, even in bulk.

3/4" plywood ain't cheap, but it will be MUCH cheaper than your metal option right now.

With the proper care and attention to detail, it can look just as good, though it will certainly be heavier.

No matter what you decide, if you are using 33" monitors, please be sure to doubly reinforce your monitor mounting brackets at every step possible, so that it doesn't cause excess stress on the cabinet walls and brackets.

Best of luck, for sure!

Last edited:
What was that monitor mounted in originally? I have to imagine some kind of pedestal/presentation cab or the like, it's pretty huge for a normal sit-down cab kind of experience.

I'm just wondering if it's actually a good size for that to feel comfortable. Have you propped it up on something to test that? Get the seat in front of it at roughly the right distance and angle?

What was that monitor mounted in originally? I have to imagine some kind of pedestal/presentation cab or the like, it's pretty huge for a normal sit-down cab kind of experience.

I'm just wondering if it's actually a good size for that to feel comfortable. Have you propped it up on something to test that? Get the seat in front of it at roughly the right distance and angle?

I have 2 of them that came from Hang Pilot, which, shame on me, i disassembled.

Back