What's new
Mark your items as sold

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Having one of these again reminds me of why I got rid of one the first time. It's picky with sync and having to re-mod every console I own and buy new cables one by one for clean C-Sync is frustrating. It's also just so clean of a picture I don't know why I'm using a CRT at all and not just my OLED.

Now that the tink4k is out, I REALLY don't know why I have this, so it's up for sale.

This D24's a Japan model, has been gone through completely by Savon Pat a couple months ago, including caps, calibration, and a hefty fee. A couple marks on the front casing, but the screen is untouched. Comes with both of the cards you'd want and the BKM. 25704 hours.

I would really just prefer to have another XM29 again. There's a /big/ difference in price though, so I'd looking for cash on top. Zero interest in shipping for trades.

I'll get vids/pics up when there's interest (I actually have some, but scouring through google photos can be awful, ha).

Looking at $4000. Happy to let your shipper pick it up so long as it's a same-as-cash sale, fully insured, and no longer my concern once it leaves my doorstep. Local pickup definitely preferred.

Last edited:
Funny because I felt like my XM29 was almost too clean. I mean, it looks great, like some idealized idea of scanlines that never really existed in the real world, but it also almost looks fake because of that.

If the D24 is even cleaner than that is must be razor fucking sharp.

Funny because I felt like my XM29 was almost too clean. I mean, it looks great, like some idealized idea of scanlines that never really existed in the real world, but it also almost looks fake because of that.

If the D24 is even cleaner than that is must be razor fucking sharp.
Oh man, it may as well be an LCD. It's beyond perfect. At least the xm29 feels like a CRT? Hard to explain. Ha.

The XM-29 is 600 TVL (comparable to a PVM 20M2U), whereas the D24 is 1000 TVL on a smaller tube.

On my BVM D20, the video basically looks like an LCD beyond 480p in terms of sharpness. Heck, even 480p kinda gives that emulator image feel depending on the game. I would agree that the XM-29 would give more of a CRT vibe. The less dense TVL count over a larger tube would give a better... 'glow' for lack of a better way to explain it.

1697669363921.jpeg

I would almost definitely commit crime for an XM-37
Was absolutely unimpressed with the one I had. Guy that bought it off me said they used a sled to get it across his front lawn though, so that made owning it worth it for the story, ha.

If u gonna dish out some heavy cash for one go for a non plus model.. they have wider scan frquenxy than the plus. Also look out for geometry problems which seems to plague the xm29s. The d24 would have been in top spot for best crt ever made if it wasnt so fussy on sync signals.. the picture is beyond amazing. Because of this the xm29 gets top marks for me.

Traded my xm29 plus for a x68000 a decade ago and spent a decade finding a xm29 to replace it. Also dont disregard the nec 4PG. It can do everything the xm 29 can do but 1 inch smaller.

D24s seem to be going for about 1.8k for a decent low hour one. So its a good trade ur offering. If its just consoles then its perfect for the job. Arcade syn signals is about 20% miss on the sync for me. Although this gets reduced to 10% with a sync corrector jamma adapter.

Having one of these again reminds me of why I got rid of one the first time. It's picky with sync and having to re-mod every console I own and buy new cables one by one for clean C-Sync is frustrating.
I have a relatively simple fix for that, I've installed a small board with a sync separator inside the monitor.

D24s seem to be going for about 1.8k for a decent low hour one.
I just realized you're in the UK. They're substantially more than 1.8k in the states. XM29 must also be substantially more here, the last few I've seen varied between 1k and 1.5k, but they did take a while to sell.

I'm not sure if the 4PG/PG-27 was sold in the states, may be hard finding one, but it's good to have more options!

I'd happily purchase and restore a x68k for someone in exchange for one now, lol. I've got about 25 of those under my belt and still have a few programmed crystals on hand that aren't sold any longer.

I have a relatively simple fix for that, I've installed a small board with a sync separator inside the monitor.
Would you mind providing details for this? I'm not afraid to modify things at all.

If its just consoles then its perfect for the job.
My experience has been having to re-mod everything. I either had sync on luma or composite video, and it needs clean c-sync, so every time I hook something up I have to re-mod it and I'm tired and frustrated, ha. Plus it's just eerily perfect...

I just realized you're in the UK. They're substantially more than 1.8k in the states. XM29 must also be substantially more here, the last few I've seen varied between 1k and 1.5k, but they did take a while to sell.

I'm not sure if the 4PG/PG-27 was sold in the states, may be hard finding one, but it's good to have more options!

I'd happily purchase and restore a x68k for someone in exchange for one now, lol. I've got about 25 of those under my belt and still have a few programmed crystals on hand that aren't sold any longer.
I had 5 x d24 at one point.. the recycling company was about to trash them. i was probably the first retrogamer to discover it. Tried to sell them but nobody understood what i had for sale so ending up shipping 1 to india for a tv company for 1k. 2 sold to private buyers and 1 to spain irrc. i kept the best of the bunch. Think i told phonedork on youtube about it and after the video he made it gained recognition. This was several years ago though. About the time fudoh opened that bvm thread on shumps.

The only better thing about the xm plus version is that it has osd menu but who cares about that when you got better scan frequencies. Recently sold a 4pg to a fried who broke it a few weeks after somehow... it had the best picture ive ever seen. i need to fix it for him now as he keeps threatening me hes gonna sell it broken! I rather buy it back!

Avoid the pioneer v402 and hanterax pd40 too as i had them and sold them on during my quest for the perfect gaming display.

Sync is annoying. Whats point of having a good display if it doesnt sync properly. Hence why the d24 dropped down to 2nd place for me.. i run my stuff through a extron crosspoint matrix switcher which only acepts pure sync, cleans it up even further before sending it to the d24. The d series tend to be very picky on sync and requires the utmost cleanest signal to work. Not too great for superguns. Had no problems with xm29 though. Well not yet anyway.

Avoid the pioneer v402 and hanterax pd40 too as i had them and sold them on during my quest for the perfect gaming display.
I've been through those as well. Not nearly as impressive as some would have you believe.

Was absolutely unimpressed with the one I had. Guy that bought it off me said they used a sled to get it across his front lawn though, so that made owning it worth it for the story, ha.
I have a 36" JVC D-Series that I love for everything but Dreamcast. Something the same size that handles 480p seems like the ideal but maybe it's not what it's cracked up to be. Is the 29 that much better?

I've been through those as well. Not nearly as impressive as some would have you believe.

While it's definitely not the end game for image quality, the PDP V402 ended up being the most used display for my weeklies for games that aren't running on my cabs. The reasonably good multi sync compatibility, physical screen size, and low total display lag (somewhere around 1/2F based on my measurements with my Time Sleuth, although I need to retest eventually) makes it my go to display for convenience. My biggest complaints about it so far is the fan noise, the strange behavior for certain color conditions (dithering effects? I'm not sure), and the outdated VESA pattern. I still haven't figured out a way to reliably mount this display on a rotation capable stand, and that'll be my end goal one day when I get enough time and determination to fab a solution myself out of alu extrusion or something.

As a small testament to the PDP v402's performance, my arcade buddies did the majority of their training for Garou MotW on it, and they all did pretty well at EVO this year (I believe top 10 for everyone).

@Zepherino oh it's a perfectly good monitor, just not end game PQ is what I was getting at. It's terribly convenient in a lot of ways too.

I have a 36" JVC D-Series that I love for everything but Dreamcast. Something the same size that handles 480p seems like the ideal but maybe it's not what it's cracked up to be. Is the 29 that much better?
Yeah, I've experienced 3 or the 37's and each one had wretched geometry. The 29's are a LOT better in that regard, even if they have issues here and there. JVC D series or the larger late model XBR's are a lot better options in my opinion for 480p in that size (and cheaper too).

Sure, I've inserted the circuit below on the sync line:

1698133622923.png
Apologies for needing to be spoon-fed, but you may need to break this down a little farther for me. I'm handy with a soldering iron, hot air, and wire crimpers, but my investigative schematic'ing leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm assuming this is your average LM1881 chip. Where would be safe places to tap each of these on the input board?

Last edited:
While it's definitely not the end game for image quality, the PDP V402 ended up being the most used display for my weeklies for games that aren't running on my cabs. The reasonably good multi sync compatibility, physical screen size, and low total display lag (somewhere around 1/2F based on my measurements with my Time Sleuth, although I need to retest eventually) makes it my go to display for convenience. My biggest complaints about it so far is the fan noise, the strange behavior for certain color conditions (dithering effects? I'm not sure), and the outdated VESA pattern. I still haven't figured out a way to reliably mount this display on a rotation capable stand, and that'll be my end goal one day when I get enough time and determination to fab a solution myself out of alu extrusion or something.

As a small testament to the PDP v402's performance, my arcade buddies did the majority of their training for Garou MotW on it, and they all did pretty well at EVO this year (I believe top 10 for everyone).
The blacks are terrible on the plasma's, Also the footprint is so much bigger than a conventional crt as you cant put anything in front of it anyway. Iirc the plasma accepts 15khz its actually 240p @120hz with blanking to simulate 240p on a native 480p display. Some VGA monitors does this as well i think. Native 240p with scanlines is the way to go imo. Having said this i did enjoy the novelty of them. I was gutted when i sold my pioneer to someone and they accidently smashed the screen... what a waste.

I'm assuming this is your average LM1881 chip. Where would be safe places to tap each of these on the input board?
Correct.
You need to insert the circuit in series with the sync signal:
- signal coming in goes to pin 2
- "cleaned" signal comes out pin 1
- tap +5V and ground on nearby caps/ICs
- pins 3/5/7 left unconnected

Sync is annoying. Whats point of having a good display if it doesnt sync properly. Hence why the d24 dropped down to 2nd place for me.. i run my stuff through a extron crosspoint matrix switcher which only acepts pure sync, cleans it up even further before sending it to the d24. The d series tend to be very picky on sync and requires the utmost cleanest signal to work. Not too great for superguns. Had no problems with xm29 though. Well not yet anyway.
This is exactly why I stopped using RGB/SCART, though the fact that SCART was never really standard in the US also played a part in it, but I always hated worrying about sync. Even when I opted for all CSYNC cables, I still had to worry about voltage levels. I have a D24 and I exclusively use YPbPr cables through an Extron Crosspoint to it for ease of use, because at least I know it's foolproof.

But I think there is something to be said about consumer level TVL feeling more authentic. My current setup is all PVM/BVM with like 900-1000 TVL, but I keep a couple consumer CRTs on hand in case I want a more authentically nostalgic look (or if I just want a bigger screen). And that's another reason why I ultimately ended up with YPbPr down the line, since that can be used directly with consumer CRTs in the US.

Back