What's new
Mark your items as sold
This is exactly why I stopped using RGB/SCART, though the fact that SCART was never really standard in the US also played a part in it, but I always hated worrying about sync. Even when I opted for all CSYNC cables, I still had to worry about voltage levels. I have a D24 and I exclusively use YPbPr cables through an Extron Crosspoint to it for ease of use, because at least I know it's foolproof.

But I think there is something to be said about consumer level TVL feeling more authentic. My current setup is all PVM/BVM with like 900-1000 TVL, but I keep a couple consumer CRTs on hand in case I want a more authentically nostalgic look (or if I just want a bigger screen). And that's another reason why I ultimately ended up with YPbPr down the line, since that can be used directly with consumer CRTs in the US.
I agree. The d24 is picture perfect. But for nostalgic purposes the nec xm 29 together with the better syncing ranges tops the chart for me. The d24 has specific sync scan rte for each reolution. If the sync for a certain res is off or not clean it will cause sync issues where as the nec is multi sync.. so multinsync vs multiformat. Choose your wepon.

The blacks are terrible on the plasma's, Also the footprint is so much bigger than a conventional crt as you cant put anything in front of it anyway. Iirc the plasma accepts 15khz its actually 240p @120hz with blanking to simulate 240p on a native 480p display. Some VGA monitors does this as well i think. Native 240p with scanlines is the way to go imo. Having said this i did enjoy the novelty of them. I was gutted when i sold my pioneer to someone and they accidently smashed the screen... what a waste.
Good evening, that's true about the black. So I put a top black contrast foil on it. Now it looks like a Trimaster OLED. The colors and everything now look great. You can buy it on Amazon for about €30

It's worth it. You just have to do it professionally otherwise it will blow.:)
403b812f-01ee-404f-8664-0124c7c257a5.jpg

Here's just half and half to see the difference

Definately improvements on the blacks and glare. But now the whites look grey? Could just be the photos. Also stock pdps have a antiglare coating on them already iirc. There must be more than 2 models of 4:3 plasmas that accepts standard res?

I remember back in the days people used to replace megalos screens with pdps cos they were more afforadable.

I just realized you're in the UK. They're substantially more than 1.8k in the states. XM29 must also be substantially more here, the last few I've seen varied between 1k and 1.5k, but they did take a while to sell.

You're not wrong, I was offered £3000 for a low hours D24. I'm in the UK.

You're not wrong, I was offered £3000 for a low hours D24. I'm in the UK.
They're definitely in the 5k+ range over our way. Savon-Pat said between the hours and having been fully serviced by him he thinks it's 6500 easy, but I think he's a bit on the high side. But what do I know, I don't sell these for a living.

Is anyone using an arcade tri-sync crt in a TV shell for their consoles? Seems like that would be a great option and cover everything.

Up we go. For sale now at this point, just taking up space here.

Price drop. Bear in mind this has $700 of work from Savon-Pat and is as bullet-proofed as you're ever going to find one of these.

Bigger price drop because I spent way too much money today.

Not gonna go any lower than this. So if it sits, it sits. But a great price if anyone has been looking.

Bigger price drop because I spent way too much money today.

Not gonna go any lower than this. So if it sits, it sits. But a great price if anyone has been looking.
Brother if you were even within a few hours... but your points about the RT4K and OLED have me thinking as well....

Well, regardless, GLWS!

Brother if you were even within a few hours... but your points about the RT4K and OLED have me thinking as well....
It's an incredibly nice scaler. And for me personally, it gets 99% of the way there. What I lose on that 1% I'll just experience on the cabs. It's fine at this point. :)

I also just bought an Airstream, so it would be nice to pay back the savings account a little bit, lol. That and the lack of use since the RT4K hit motivated me to drop the price to basically what I'm into it between the monitor, shipping, second input board, controller, and full Savon-Pat treatment.

Wait, you bought a fucking Airstream, like the fucking silver trailer things?

OH SHIT BOYS, REWRITE IS GETTING READY TO BE ON THE LAMB WITH ALL OF OUR 161 MONIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that's freaking nice. Wow. Well, why not drive that Airstream over to the East Coast and hook a brother up. Or maybe, hand deliver all those 161s...

Screw it. At this point I think you should make a thread/post about the Airstream. Pictures, outside, inside, the soldering station I'm sure you've set up.

Sorry, your for sale thread has be officially derailed.

Wait, you bought a fucking Airstream, like the fucking silver trailer things?
Sure did! Not new, thank God, but they're still a pretty penny used usually. We did get a hell of a deal though after waiting for about a year and a half to find the right one at the right price. They're either gutted in the middle of a restore and people gave up, or they're wildly overpriced.

We've been taking annual trips to different national parks for a few years now, and I figure we'll save a ton of money camping rather than renting hotel rooms at 250 a pop. Also get to experience more of the outdoors, and I haven't gone camping since we moved to CA and miss it. So it should be good all around. Getting too old to sleep in tents, so a camper was the way to go, and I didn't want to worry about it rotting out or the resale value plummeting down the line, so we went with an Airstream.

Everything's working and in fairly decent shape. It's missing a couple cabinet doors, the PO removed the overhead light fixtures to put in new ones and never did, and those are about the worst of it. I'm going to slowly go through and update to more efficient appliances, add in solar, etc. Convert the tub to a shower. Hope to keep it a good 20+ years, so may as well spruce it up as we go!

And spend 230587235 hours buffing the thing back to obnoxious blinding silver!

And the soldering station.... right beside the Sodastream install I hope.

That sounds awesome, for real dude. My cousin in Cali last year got an RV and flew to FL to pick it up and drive back because COVID made all RVs fly up in price, so I can't imagine what you had to fork out.

The big silver bullet is what is etched in my mind for RVs, very cool purchase. Camping in/around CA is some of the best too. What model did you snag?

My cousin in Cali last year got an RV and flew to FL to pick it up and drive back because COVID made all RVs fly up in price
Genuinely considered doing the same thing myself. And now that everyone has these Airstreams they bought during covid to remodel or turn into tiny homes, but ran out of time and went back to work, they're all trying to get 10-20k for ones without floors in them even... "Worth 80k when restored, real deal, nothing there at all! Blank slate!" . It's absolutely batty.

The big silver bullet is what is etched in my mind for RVs, very cool purchase. Camping in/around CA is some of the best too. What model did you snag?
I'm absolutely dying to go to Big Sur and spend a few days instead of just one. We've seen a lot of CA/OR/NV/UT/AZ the past few years, and both Big Sur and the Grand Canyon have been the biggest highlights.

We got a 23 foot Land Yacht. 95% of national parks will let you in if you're under 25 feet including hitch, and the percentage drops pretty drastically with every additional foot, so that was the limit for us. We'd come into quite a few good deals on 31 foot airstreams, but I'd hate to plan a trip and then realize we aren't even allowed in with the camper.

A very dumb part of me wants to set aside a 2 foot spot to put the Consolette 18 in and bolt it down, lol. But I'm not sure that would fit even with a solid redesign.

Back