What's new

Asure

Grand Master
Reaction score
This is very cool! I own the original pcb of this. Has anyone tested it on real hardware?

Amazing stuff @iq_132 !

Am i the only one that remembers the Toki video with the Sh1t F4ak guy on keyboard in the end? It seems this video is gone, i cannot find it anywhere.

Nah i remember that too but it looked more like a troll video than something real... After seeing this i guess it could of been real!

(Toki / Juju Densetsu was created on very similar development hardware.)

I think POW etc hardware is quite similar design too i'm surprised many other conversions have not happened yet...

Ok, this managed to fly under my radar, around march 2021 a nice port of Cabal was released.
Some more info here: https://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=3751.0

Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9JP_OnBhI&t=46s

Am i the only one that remembers the Toki video with the Sh1t F4ak guy on keyboard in the end? It seems this video is gone, i cannot find it anywhere.

(Toki / Juju Densetsu was created on very similar development hardware.)

I had actually started to do Toki, but the cheap/lazy sprite routines I was using for Cabal slow it down too much on Neo-Geo hardware. If I re-visit it again at some point, the modifications will be much more involved.

This is very cool! I own the original pcb of this. Has anyone tested it on real hardware?

I had hoped by releasing it, someone would test one one of the MVS flash carts, but so far I haven't heard anything. Maybe some day I'll get one of those carts and start doing some Neo-Geo development again.

Amazing stuff @iq_132 !

Nah i remember that too but it looked more like a troll video than something real... After seeing this i guess it could of been real!

I think POW etc hardware is quite similar design too i'm surprised many other conversions have not happened yet...
Thanks Hammy! POW is just different enough to be a pain, but I really would like to do some work on it some day.

Last edited:
I fired it up on HBmame and it runs very well, i see what you mean about the flickering...

Seems to happen each time a bullet is fired (player or enemies) , i would make a guess that this bullet code would need to be moved to "vblank" time so it gets updated "out of view"

Anyway, like you say - it need hardware testing before getting too worried :)

I tried running it on real a real MVS, and no, it did not seem to work. It could've been the way I built the .neo file, but I'm usually successful using the neosdconv tool.

I can post a video of the colorful pattern it flashes on screen if that might help. The Unibios is locked out when it boots, so I can't do the memory viewer or anything.

Would anyone with a Darksoft cart be willing to test this out for me? I have gotten reports that it's broken on AES mode and I have made a few updates.

I tested Cabal out quite a bit as part of beta testing for the latest Darksoft cart Menu update.

The latest Cabal release doesn't work on my AES Revision 3-4, although it works fine with @djsheep 's AES Revision 3-3. On my AES, it hangs with a black screen if I use the UniBIOS and it hangs with a blue screen if I use the stock SNK BIOS. The prior release from October worked fine with the UniBIOS but would go into a crash-reboot loop on the stock SNK BIOS on my console.

Happy to help out with any further testing or details - let me know.

Looks like Cabal is in good, working order. Time to move on to the next port.

Attachments

• terracng-12-16-063000.png
    terracng-12-16-063000.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 116
  • terracng-12-16-063213.png
    terracng-12-16-063213.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 126
  • terracng-12-16-063226.png
    terracng-12-16-063226.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 119
Looks like Cabal is in good, working order. Time to move on to the next port.
Did the last bit of flicker get resolved?

Terra cresta was totally unexpected for your next one :D
Another hardware with several games available on it.... Shame these ports are not like writing a mame driver ;)

Back