What's new

c1v1ta

Student
Reaction score
Where do you get your locks? I have a New Astro City and would love original Sega locks, but I also would rather not have to fork up close to $100 for a set (although no one ever said owning a Candy would be cheap).

Any recommendations? What do you all do?

Was lucky enough to buy an operator out of a ton of A002 locks from UFO catchers.

I don't route my games, so for home use, they are great, and leaves all my sega candies on 1 key.

For my Taitos I buy these, but since sega locks have a thicker lock post, these wont work on Sega cabs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X475Y7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have spare NAC control panel latches and some other stuff, if you are missing more than just the locks. I just don't have locks left to sell.

The locks from Holland Computers are a perfect fit for my Astro/Blast City, and only $5 a pop including keys. Depending on where you install the lock, you will need to reuse the old lock tangs, or add some washers to the lock barrel as spacers.

While legit Sega locks and keys are nice, I don't like how insanely fragile the keys are, and I like being able to unlock everything in all my cabs with just 1 type of key. The insane cost of original Sega locks and keys also doesn't help.

https://www.hollandcomputers.com/st...shape-flat-key-1-lock-and-1-key-3010p6400.htm

Since when are Sega keys fragile? I've been using the same couple for ages.

The 5575 keys are fine, but the 5380 key (see image) is made of thin sheet metal and easily bent. I have a friend who accidentally knocked a Astro City door panel on one of these keys and bent it.

sega-5380-key-new-220-5381B.jpg

Where do you get your locks?
The Usual places: Yahoo Auctions, Forums, Ebay, etc.
If you have a contact with an official distributor you can try your luck on original parts but be ready to pay premium prices.

I have a New Astro City and would love original Sega locks, but I also would rather not have to fork up close to $100 for a set (although no one ever said owning a Candy would be cheap).
I've always just forked up the $100 for original locks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ IMO if this is something you care about it is and should be something you factor into the price of the cab when you buy it.

Sega locks in particular. they use a much thicker core than other tube locks so the tang wont work on most 3rd party locks. On most of my cabs I swap out the service door with a keyless lock for easy access but on my Sega cabs I use all original locks.

@GeekMan1222 might have some 5380 cores still. As far as a key, YAJ is your best bet. I wayyyyy overpaid for one of the two I got (paid $70 or so for a key with two cores and another was like $30), but it was a buy once cry once deal. Just make sure to grab two so you don’t have to bend the control panel to open it :)

Of course there are plenty of third party keys and lock options. Even ones that are just thumbscrews! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT88P7M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I purchase that one and it works ok. Not perfect, but ok.

I also have a third party key and core that I don’t need which is a look-alike of the 5380. I’d be happy to sell it to ya for cheap if you’re interested. I’ll dig it up in a bit.

The 5575 keys are fine, but the 5380 key (see image) is made of thin sheet metal and easily bent. I have a friend who accidentally knocked a Astro City door panel on one of these keys and bent it.

sega-5380-key-new-220-5381B.jpg
Huh, weird. Those are the ones I was referring to.

Where do you get your locks? I have a New Astro City and would love original Sega locks, but I also would rather not have to fork up close to $100 for a set (although no one ever said owning a Candy would be cheap).

100$ for a set of 5 keys + 5locks and tongues all original parts ?

Keys are around 15-20$ usd / 1 pcs + shipping

@GeekMan1222 might have some 5380 cores still. As far as a key, YAJ is your best bet. I wayyyyy overpaid for one of the two I got (paid $70 or so for a key with two cores and another was like $30), but it was a buy once cry once deal. Just make sure to grab two so you don’t have to bend the control panel to open it :)

Of course there are plenty of third party keys and lock options. Even ones that are just thumbscrews! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT88P7M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I purchase that one and it works ok. Not perfect, but ok.

I also have a third party key and core that I don’t need which is a look-alike of the 5380. I’d be happy to sell it to ya for cheap if you’re interested. I’ll dig it up in a bit.
Thabks for the heads up! @GeekMan1222, send me a DM if you have any!

100$ for a set of 5 keys + 5locks and tongues all original parts ?

Keys are around 15-20$ usd / 1 pcs + shipping
I randomly look into this for my new astro city too, but always cheap out lol.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question... but are the keys all the same? From pictures I've they don't look like it.
I often see lock w/ tangs, but hesitate but I'm not sure about the keys.

Most new China made dedicated cabs such as Splash fight ect come with a flat key now which comes in a set of 4 locks with 2 keys which is what I use on my Lindy as I'm not too fussed about having oem Sega.

All new Sega UK cabs at one time came with a cam lock with a 9117 key which is handy as some arcades still have those locks on & I always keep one on my keyring ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0982.JPG
    DSC_0982.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 62
On most of my cabs I swap out the service door with a keyless lock for easy access
I have a NAC and intend to install the keyless thumb locks on the service door—do you know of any keyless locks that work with the CP? I know @opt2not also uses the keyless locks for his NAC service door but not sure about the CP.

I have a NAC and intend to install the keyless thumb locks on the service door—do you know of any keyless locks that work with the CP? I know @opt2not also uses the keyless locks for his NAC service door but not sure about the CP.
I wouldn't mind trying the keyless locks for the CP, I never even tried it with the current ones I have. But it would make life a bit easier for home-use.

I wouldn't mind trying the keyless locks for the CP, I never even tried it with the current ones I have. But it would make life a bit easier for home-use.
I have the keyless on my control panel and love it!
Now I have a kiddo on the way so I feel like I need to put the key back on now though.

Back