What's new
If you need the jamma connection, this are your choices basically.
If you're doing a JAMMA connection you want the Sega JAMMA converter:
s-l1600.jpg

This has one of the Sega JAMMA IOs you posted above in it, but it also has an audio amp and a 5V to 3.3V converter just like the Capcom IO. So the only real difference is the kick connector.

The bare-bones Segaa JAMMA IO isn't really meant for JAMMA cabs, it's meant for "JVS Ready" cabs that already have an audio amp and JVS compatible power supply, like the Blast City and New Versus City.

The Sega JAMMA Converter above, and the Capcom JVS IO are really the only two drop-in solutions for running JVS on a JAMMA cab.

it's also worth noting that there is also a cheap Chinese knock-off of the Capcom IO:
IMG_0379.JPG
note the lack of case, and the black kick connector. I've seen them with and without the power connector populated.
True, the sega converter is the clear alternative when compared to the Capcom.

My suggestions for the OP were meant towards what it seemed that he was after which were jamma controls. Which funny enough was the way I was using the first naomi I ever got. the Capcom io were basically just for controls. VGA to monitor and line out to amplified speakers.

Thanks for all the info folks, you've been very helpful. Would I need the Sega JAMMA converter to run the Naomi from the HAS and OSSC or would I be ok without the audio amps going with the Sega Rev B.?

Last edited:
The Capcom one is the only one that can do 6 buttons right (with the kick harness)?

Would I need the Sega JAMMA converter to run the Naomi from the HAS and OSSC or would I be ok without the audio amps from the Sega Rev B.?
Unless you're connecting your speakers straight to the converter, then line level is actually what you want. For the use case you have in mind, the cheap Sega Rev. B. is fine as is.

That part doesn't look too shabby but some of his multi listings are definitely a gamble. I've bought dozens of things from him over the years and many of the orders have had issues.

For example I bought three PGM motherboards from him in one order. When they arrived one looked almost new, one looked like it's been pulled out of a skip and the third had been badly repaired.

I’d love to try and play Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 with the Sega I/O’s. People have mentioned you can wire up the kick harness buttons but I haven’t found anywhere that tells you how. Does anyone know how to wire up kick harness buttons to Sega I/O revision 1 and 2?

You'll need to buy or make a kick harness to connect to your SEGA IO for the extra button(s) per player. It's not a standard CPS kick harness connector like is the case with the Capcom IO. I believe revision 1 of the SEGA IO has buttons 1-3 over JAMMA and revision 2 has buttons 1-5 over JAMMA.

From memory, I used this manual to find the information I needed when I hooked mine up:
http://www.fillmoregames.com/pdf/sega_420-6457.pdf

I believe revision 1 of the SEGA IO has buttons 1-3 over JAMMA and revision 2 has buttons 1-5 over JAMMA.
Do you mean Type A versus Type B? I'm 95% sure that both have Buttons 1-5 over Jamma, the difference between them is where the jumper is placed to switch functions on the connector, and the specific extra buttons connector wiring. The arcade otaku wiki is rather confusing with how that info is laid out for the Type A Sega I/O. I'd love to be wrong though! My Type A definitely didn't work in my blast cab by default, and DID work when I used my supergun and put button 4 (only one I tried) on the jamma edge.

I tried reading that manual and some of it makes sense but some of it is so hard to figure out in Japanese. Anyone have instructions in English or have successfully used Sega I/O V1 or V2 to work with 6 buttons playing MvsC2 on a Blast City? I have both versions of the Sega I/O.

What are you guys talking about? Sega Rev B's are like $20. They pop up on YAJ all the time.

Avoid the Capcom I/O, its dog shit. it responds to switch requests with the button state at the time of the previous request. Basically it adds input lag, the game will poll inputs and get a response with the state of the buttons at the time of the previous request.

People praise it because it simplifies the Naomi setup, but at its current price you're better off going a different route.
any documentation out there on the Capcom I/O lag issues?

What are you guys talking about? Sega Rev B's are like $20. They pop up on YAJ all the time.

Avoid the Capcom I/O, its dog shit. it responds to switch requests with the button state at the time of the previous request. Basically it adds input lag, the game will poll inputs and get a response with the state of the buttons at the time of the previous request.

People praise it because it simplifies the Naomi setup, but at its current price you're better off going a different route.
any documentation out there on the Capcom I/O lag issues?
I think @rtw documented it. But not sure where.

Hello, I’m looking for some help again on the ongoing kick harness issue I’m having on my Naomi 2 that I’ve tried with both a Sega I/O Type 1 rev B and a Type 2 I/O. Both have continuity from the kick buttons to the proper pins (from the info I’ve found online and that doesn’t seem to be decisive). I’ve checked and both have pins 12,13,14 having continuity which means that’s the ground and I also have continuity from the ground through the blast I/O board to the button. Yet I get no button 6. I know I’m told buttons 1 through 5 are on jamma which is fine and I’ve made sure the I/O’s are jumpered to A not B and still nothing..... And I really don’t think the likelihood of me having two I/O’s with a bad CN3 connection are very good. I’m frustrated and I guess I should just buy a Capcom I/O but everyone I’ve asked and talked to say no problem to get the kick buttons on a Sega I/O so I can play MvsC2 but I’m getting nowhere and frustrated. Anyone have a working Sega I/O hooked up to play MVSC2? Could they snap some pictures of their setup (in a Blast City if possible) or any thoughts or ideas for me to try???

After some advice from @Mitsurugi-w I'm switching from the SEGA I/O (I bought instead of the Capcom I/O) and going with a direct JVS I/O (837-13551-92). I switched because I didn't want to power the I/O through the jamma edge which would require a separate power source. Thanks for all the advice and guidance everyone.

@Niko I found the info I was looking for from @rtw thank you for the help.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back