What's new

St4rgalaqtic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So new project digging into, this will be my main Shmup tate cab. Not alot of work to do, but need to strip the paint and try and get it back to the original color. New controls, new feet, and rewire it as well as replace the 2 prong power with a 3 prong.

So far got the control panel stripped and removed.
DJI_20240303_002833_9_burst_4.jpg
20240321_233332.jpg
20240321_234101.jpg

And as with all cabinets, I know I am going to run into some madness that I haven't prepped for.

She's drop dead gorgeous!

That's not paint btw its powder coating.

A powder coater can sandblast it give you a nice new, cleanable, scratch proof layer.

You can request as many free powder coat samples as you would like from Prismaticpowders.com and send it to your powder coater

@hoagtech Is correct, it does look to be poweder coating. I have two qualified powder coaters in my area according to the PrismaticPowders website. I and going to continue to break it down and clean and strip. I am guessing it would be cheaper to walk into the shop with pieces that are already prepped.
20240322_000826.jpg

Now that I see the powder coating, I wish I could just remove this layer of paint and clean it up.

Now that I see the powder coating, I wish I could just remove this layer of paint and clean it up.
You can.

Try citristrip.

And if you are getting it coated don't bother prepping it yourself. Shops generally have media on site and will media blast it despite your best attempts.

Something tells me that the original powder coat is fine under that paint thought...

Sooo I finally had sometime to actually contine stripping this down, got the monitor out. Has some funky wiring that I will have to address, and I am more and more leaning toward just hitting this with a stripper to get the paint off and deep clean it with Simple Green. Also I am seeing a lot of original stickers that I would like to preserve, and one that was painted over.
20240322_000559.jpg
20240321_235557.jpg
20240322_221207.jpg
20240322_221149.jpg

Fully stripped and on its way to be powder coated. I tried citris strip on a few pieces and its just way too messy, and it left the
20240330_145314.jpg
color looking off.
Your gonna love it. Id say the best part of this hobby is seeing fresh powdercoat glint ambient light at an angle..

*Chefs kiss

How are you going to color match just curious?

You can request a ton of free metal swatches or Prismatic Powders have a color match service for $20 plus shipping where they can match it for you if you send them a part

@hoagtech Spoke with 2 powerder coaters in the area who stated that they would be able to color match as long as it was not fully covered in paint. And I have found several spot that were not painted, with the best example being the bottom of the speaker housing.

Back