What's new

Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope everyone is well.

Maybe an odd question, but I received this CAVE PCB and noticed a scratch at the top edge (near the sticker) that looks a little deeper than a surface / superficial scratch.

Based on its position, does anyone know if this is a concern or not (specifically, is there any trace here that, if it has been cut, might result in problems)?

I cannot see exposed metal but equally do not know whether the darker green line here represents any actual trace or not and don't have any schematics to check.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0780-01~3.jpeg
    DSC_0780-01~3.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0779-01~4.jpeg
    DSC_0779-01~4.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 178
The only trace if any at the edge there would be a GND one.

The only trace if any at the edge there would be a GND one.
Thanks CoolFox - hypothetically, for future reference, if there was a break in a ground trace, would this be noticeable or be a big issue?

On the edge there? Doubt it would be anything noticeable. But if it was noticeable it would be a simple fix.

That looks horrible! You should just not waste your time here and send it to me...

No but I doubt there's any traces that far out on the edge that will be impacted by that :)

That looks horrible! You should just not waste your time here and send it to me...

No but I doubt there's any traces that far out on the edge that will be impacted by that
Thanks DLoop - it's (maybe) in the post now ;) I know nothing about how the ground or board traces actually work but the darker green line seems to go to the large capacitor. Not sure if this is actually the case, just looks like it does (maybe the dark green is a substrate under the board?). I knew I should have paid attention in electronics classes at school.

Attachments

• DSC_0781~2-01.jpeg
    DSC_0781~2-01.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0781-01.jpeg
    DSC_0781-01.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 99
Dark green is just the PCB substrate. There's no trace there.
Thanks Nem - there are a few shades of dark green, so now it's just my curiosity to find out more about how these things are designed and what the different layers are. The more I find out about our hobby the more I think these boards are actually works of art and quite beautiful! Although some of my friends take one look at them and conclude 'old junk' :)

You'd be surprised how deep a trace is, even if that scratch were on a trace I doubt it would have severed it at all. It may only scratch the lacquer.

You'd be surprised how deep a trace is, even if that scratch were on a trace I doubt it would have severed it at all. It may only scratch the lacquer.
Thanks Lachlan - each day I learn a little more about this hobby so I appreciate the responses on here. A great community. The hobby is definitely a rabbits hole to fall down. Talking of which, I just know that now I've got comfortable this is not an issue, I'll probably trip and fall when excitedly trying to move it to its cabinet and snap the board in half or something (I dropped a board a few years ago and it was like slow motion as it crashed to the floor. Traumatic).

Back