What's new
I can't tell if you've got a valid Network zero key (required to do the firmware update to the modified CF boot I linked to). I've got the tools and blank PIC chips to make you one if you need it. Let me know.

I can't tell if you've got a valid Network zero key (required to do the firmware update to the modified CF boot I linked to). I've got the tools and blank PIC chips to make you one if you need it. Let me know.
The net key really should be good, I have literally made hundreds of them over the last 10+ years. Stranger things have happened I guess...

I used a PIC 16F628A -E/P.

I think the E/P has a wider operating temperature range which really isn't needed, but I had to go with this as the standard range wasn't available. In general, it seems that this chip is in short supply from some vendors. I was able to get it from Mouser.

I programmed it using my USB based PICkit2 programmer. As mentioned on the thread for creating the zero keys, the Microchip IDE doesn't take .BIN files. I downloaded the Minipro software used for one of the other programmers mentioned on that thread and loaded the .BIN file, adjusted the settings per the screenshots, and saved this file as a .HEX file. Then in MPLAB, you can "Import" the .HEX file and program the PIC without touching any settings (except of course selecting the proper programmer and chip).

Interesting note: I burned both the NET and the CF zero keys, expecting that once I'd use the network zero key for the network load of the firmware update, I'd then have to pop that out and use the CF zero key when I installed the CF to IDE reader. What I found is that I never had to change out the NET zero key. It works for me for both network booting as well as using the CF to IDE adapter loading.

What I found is that I never had to change out the NET zero key. It works for me for both network booting as well as using the CF to IDE adapter loading.
This is the case on NAOMI, did you find it to be the same on type3 systems?

The net key really should be good, I have literally made hundreds of them over the last 10+ years. Stranger things have happened I guess...
Gotcha! It wasn't clear to me if you were making these yourself, or relying on buying over the internet.

Gotcha! It wasn't clear to me if you were making these yourself, or relying on buying over the internet.
No worries!

Also I use TopWin, which shouldn't matter, but since these PICs are reprogrammable anyway, if you want to try with the one that worked for you I certainly won't take any offense.

keep all the chips I sent you OP. Fingers crossed 🤞

This is the case on NAOMI, did you find it to be the same on type3 systems?
Yes, exactly this. My Triforces are all Type 3. I found that once I popped the network zero key in there, I was good to go (for either network loading or CF reader loading, of course just have to flip the dip switch).

Nice.

Sadly thats the one system I don't have on hand to test personally, I have Naomi/Naomi2 and Chihiro Type 3. They all work with the net key too (haven't tried non net games on the chihiro though)

No worries!

Also I use TopWin, which shouldn't matter, but since these PICs are reprogrammable anyway, if you want to try with the one that worked for you I certainly won't take any offense.

keep all the chips I sent you OP. Fingers crossed 🤞

... I was confusing you with the OP. DOH! I clearly see (after going back to the top) that you were helping supply the OP with the security chips. I need to slow down and process more before typing sometimes always. :D

I'll update the firmware and retry. As far as uploading the .bin file, could I just simply connect my Triforce to my existing wipi setup in my NNC and no other steps are necessary? Will the Triforce recognize it via ether?
20220411_102559.jpg

Try netbooting any triforce game and see what happens, if that works then the firmware .bin should be the same? I have not done a type 3 chihiro but that would be my test before doing the actual update.

I can't speak specifically to your Wipi setup, but for me, I used my PC and the "transfergame.exe" program to send the new firmware over the network to the Triforce. Once it is all received, the Triforce reboots automatically and prompts you to press the test button to allow the updating of the firmware.

If the wipi transfers the software over the ethernet in the same way (I can't imagine why it wouldn't) it should work.

Try netbooting any triforce game and see what happens, if that works then the firmware .bin should be the same? I have not done a type 3 chihiro but that would be my test before doing the actual update.
20220411_110307.jpg

Trying Mario Kart, but it's been quite some time and it hasn't loaded yet.

Netbooting on a triforce is the same as a Naomi, right? At any given time, I can select a new game and it'll interrupt whatever is going and load? Or is there another step required for the triforce?

Do you have a monitor hooked up to the Triforce? It should say something about loading (don't remember the exact screen verbiage). When I did this on the PC, it took a while (roughly felt as long as loading from the GD-ROM, but I was only using a 10baseT network switch).

If you were able to connect a PC for a while, it'll give you a couple more troubleshooting steps such as the ability to ping the Triforce to confirm it's on the network.

Do you have a monitor hooked up to the Triforce? It should say something about loading (don't remember the exact screen verbiage). When I did this on the PC, it took a while (roughly felt as long as loading from the GD-ROM, but I was only using a 10baseT network switch).

If you were able to connect a PC for a while, it'll give you a couple more troubleshooting steps such as the ability to ping the Triforce to confirm it's on the network.
Yea, I've got everything hooked to the cab at the moment, I'm still getting an error 26 when attempting with any of the non stock chips.

Are there any particular network settings that need to be selected on the triforce to have it link to the pi or pc?

Just make sure you've flipped dip switch #2 (behind the vertical board for the security chip) ON (towards the security chip board) to enable the network boot. EDIT: this requires the cover to come off, just to be clear... Other than that, the instructions for the PC have you configure your PC as IP address 192.168.1.1 and the triforce board as 192.168.1.2 . Then connect directly to each other using a crossover network cable, or just do like I did and use a regular cable on each into a network switch/hub.

You've raised an interesting point, one which I can no longer test. I tried the 30-button press region change only on my original configuration. I didn't try it after ONLY putting in the network zero key. I only ever tried it after BOTH performing the firmware update AND installing the network zero key.

It would have been interesting if I'd not done all three of mine to see if just installing the zero key would have enabled it on mine.

Back