What's new

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
So I bought one of these HDMI kits for my original Xbox. For $60 is a no brainer to not have to deal with upscaling, component cables etc...

https://makemhz.com/products/xboxhdmi

But would these also work on a Chihiro? As is or with some tweaking? I mean, if someone wanted to do that and have hdmi output. :)

Last edited:
based just on how it installs there are some issues to overcome.

the Chihiro wont run unless the base-board gets the video link from the mobo , I'm unsure if there is any kind of video manipulation that the base board feeds into the video signal on over the output from the mobo, but at very least the original vga output signal will need to be fed to the base-board to keep it happy.

Makes sense, I dont have a Chihiro, for some reason never got one so im not up to speed on how it interconnects/works, etc.. but still thought this is interesting to post.

The baseboard takes the xbox vga rgb signals and extracts the composite sync from the green video signal.
It also converts that vga signal to a component signal that outputs on the middle unused connector. (seems to be a japanese standard for component.)
The only baseboard circuits that are powered by the avip cable 5V are those video processing circuits. The 2 microcontrollers that handle JVS and force feedback are powered separatly.

One issue you will have is the video cable detection on the main board. It uses 3 pins to detect the type of video cable connected. On a chihiro, it can be set with 3 dipswitches on the filter board and those are all 3 on. On a normal xbox, this is scart RGB 15khz. On a chihiro, it's vga.

So your component to hdmi likely will be detected as a component cable. it will expect component on the RGB outputs as well. No idea if the chihiro will be willing to produce a component video signal with the video cable detected as a component.

Most of the component to hdmi chipsets have a vga 2 hdmi option as well. (a pin of the chip that needs to be grounded or tied to vcc.

So, if the adapter is like that, it should work if the main board if all 3 cable detect inputs are tied to gnd and the chip is able to convert vga to hdmi.

Maybe it works straight away if the chihiro bios is outputting component. This still needs testing.
My point is that the base board works fine without the avip cable. (besides producing some video output)

So your component to hdmi likely will be detected as a component cable. it will expect component on the RGB outputs as well. No idea if the chihiro will be willing to produce a component video signal with the video cable detected as a component.
AFAIK this is NOT a component to HDMI conversion, this particular mod is tapping the digital data before it gets to the video out chip to produce the HDMI signal.

I can also tell you that I've tested a Chihiro with Xbox Component, S-Video, and VGA cables in place of the video loop back cable and it wont boot, so there is definitely some other kind of detection going on there.

Well, looks like it might be worked on and happen :)

2020-09-26_18-21-51.jpg

I've actually talked to Dustin (LoveMHz) about this as I knew about it for a while it *can* be done if he created a slightly longer flex and just vertically mounted the HDMI hit, but you'd need to either have one of the plates off or make cuts which is unideal.

Funny enough Love actually has my Chihiro atm.

As for different cables with Chihiros they probably are just checking for the 5v comping from the Xbox AV port? Games you can just tell to use w/e dipsetting you want these days. I found the byte which controls this - segaboot is the only thing that cares - the games themselves will reset back to 640x480.

My chihiros boot up and most importantly play games quite happily without the AV cable connected as long it's an RGB Xbox selected cable. A composite cable will work also and let you boot but if you try and play anything it will complain. I connected RGB up and to my start TV and it works and plays but the screen is shifted horizontally I guess coz it's outputting at 31khz

Back