What's new

Gato

Beginner
Reaction score
It's strange.

The problems started while playing Samurai Showdown 2 (official MVS cart) with the games graphics and audio going in slow motion.

After a few restarts, the games did not go past the Unibios menu. (Tried Super Strikers 2, Sam Sho 2 and even a NeoSD Pro)

-The MVS will NOT show a crosshatch pattern screen if no cart is inserted (just a black screen).

-The Unibios Menu only works if a cart is inserted.

-Starting the game gives a black screen, with no sound but the unibios hidden options menu is still accessible (start+select).

-I am able to still use the Unibios functions and can even use the Jukebox and play the music to whatever cart is inserted and the music plays fine with no slowdown or issues.

Any ideas on what it could be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like hard dip 8 might be in the "on" position or maybe in limbo/floating. That dip is used to pause the system and will cause a black screen like that on boot.

Dang, the dip switches were removed on the board.

Any way to shut it off through the unibios?

When I attempt to access the settings menu where the hardware test, no soft/hard dip settings and Calendar is located the system freezes and I am unable to select anything or move up/down on the menu.

Last edited:
not for hard dips but if you boot into the HW menu with unibios B+C+D and go to hard dips, it should show what's ON/OFF . if it is that, you will likely need to try and trace what dip8 controlled on the board and see if you can either jumper it or find where the problem could be.

can find some unmodified board pics here: https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/MV1B if that helps any.

not for hard dips but if you boot into the HW menu with unibios B+C+D and go to hard dips, it should show what's ON/OFF . if it is that, you will likely need to try and trace what dip8 controlled on the board and see if you can either jumper it or find where the problem could be.

can find some unmodified board pics here: https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/MV1B if that helps any.

For some reason whenever I go to the HW Menu the system freezes up and does not let me check any of the options. How would I go about jumpering the dip switch?

I do have a MV1C board that I could possibly remove/desolder the dip switches and attach them to the MV1B but if there’s an easier way to jumper the switch I’d rather try that.

Got pictures? Trying to think why someone would do that...

It’s my fault for purchasing from Aliexpress😅 That sweet AES-looking shell swayed me!

Attachments

• IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7382.jpeg
    IMG_7382.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 74
For some reason whenever I go to the HW Menu the system freezes up and does not let me check any of the options. How would I go about jumpering the dip switch?

I do have a MV1C board that I could possibly remove/desolder the dip switches and attach them to the MV1B but if there’s an easier way to jumper the switch I’d rather try that.

It’s my fault for purchasing from Aliexpress😅 That sweet AES-looking shell swayed me!

Ah, it's one of the flattened out MV1B boards. Those things weird me out, there's so many changes made to the stock boards for these... Do you have a multimeter with a continuity mode test? I'm wondering if the pins for dip 8 are shorted despite there being no dip switch. Note that the vias are filled, which they wouldn't be had the dips just been removed (can also check in unibios as stated above).

Also wonder if it's the after market neo-buf board these all seem to have (again, no idea why they do some of these mods).

Last edited:

I bought the very same thing! it's was hard to resist.

I can only assume to jumper dip8 would be nothing more than soldering the 2 bottom pads of where the switches were, to 2 wires and then twisting them together. (doing 2 wires instead of 1 at least gives you the control of off/on)

that's to to say that this is the issue. have you been able to check around the bios chip to see if anything seems a bit odd?

Back