What's new

beast1x5

Professional
Reaction score
Hey everyone! While im not the best when it comes to modding etc At game center mikado in takadanobaba japan for their head to head neo geo setups which are on blast city and Astro cities their control panels have a rotary switch that changes the button layout from Rainbow , Box layout for various fighting games , and Neo Geo CD pad box layout. is anyone familiar with making a switch or selector to change button layouts?

I wanted to use one of these to control several things in the cab.
But they are expensive.

https://www.touchencoder.com/

You can probably have Jose wire up a rotary switch, probably something like a 6Pole 4position one sdhould give you 4 button layout per player.

Would be nice to have something to remap buttons though.

There are a few solutions/options integrated into a few of the member created products on here also, so worth having a look there.

I think I saw something from arthrimus but can't recall what exactly it was.
But they are expensive.

You can probably have Jose wire up a rotary switch, probably something like a 6Pole 4position one sdhould give you 4 button layout per player.

There are a few solutions/options integrated into a few of the member created products on here also, so worth having a look there.
My wish list would be working on some sort of I/O to remap the button. I do want the convenient to change mapping on the fly but without heavy modification on the wiring. This looks nice. This would need some investment though. 8|

I think I saw something from arthrimus but can't recall what exactly it was.
But they are expensive.

My wish list would be working on some sort of I/O to remap the button. I do want the convenient to change mapping on the fly but without heavy modification on the wiring. This looks nice. This would need some investment though. 8|
It would have to be something adaptable to plug inline to your CP harness so its compatible with like all cabs and arcade style joysticks out there. Maybe something solid state like an arduino/pi with a rotary encoder button, etc...

Yup, will be using a microcontroller. If it is just simply re-routing the wiring, it shouldn't be a big form factor.

@RGB made the RECO device, its a perfect button re-mapper because it works effortlessly with normal (1~4) JAMMA buttons AND Kicks (4~6).
Most of the physical remapping devices I've seen don't properly support kicks, or allow for total freedom in remapping.

It also includes auto-fire options, real time (5v/12v) volt-meter and supports the Negatron. :)
23426385166_d527845625_z.jpg

@RGB made the RECO device, its a perfect button re-mapper because it works effortlessly with normal (1~4) JAMMA buttons AND Kicks (4~6).
Most of the physical remapping devices I've seen don't properly support kicks, or allow for total freedom in remapping.

It also includes auto-fire options, real time (5v/12v) volt-meter and supports the Negatron. :)
23426385166_d527845625_z.jpg
Awesome and I still have 2 of them. Didnt he stop making them?? Need a version that sits inline with cp harness, then every cab can use these :)

Need a version that sits inline with cp harness, then every cab can use these
How tho? Because the CP harness could end in a JAMMA kit, a FastIO or a JVS IO.
You mean it would intercept the cp harness before it connected to any IOs and preform all button (remapping/autofire) functions that way?

The problem with the Reco is that for tournament play you can't quickly switch between layouts like with a physical switch.
Yea good point, wish he had presets you could call up with button combos.

The problem with the Reco is that for tournament play you can't quickly switch between layouts like with a physical switch.

There's some discussion on rotary switches on ArcadeOtaku:

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=33916

Doesn't look too difficult to make if you just need two or three layouts.
Thanks for digging up that thread, @nem. And thanks for asking the question @beast1x5. I've considered implementing the same thing for a while and the AO thread is spot on.

@Aurich that is awesome!
I would love a pro made VLX control panel back cover with a dial in it like that.
Looks so much better and more useful to me than the USB and volume panel covers I've seen.

@Aurich you're the man!!! I haven't been able to find the panel layout selector but that's definitely it!!!

Awesome, gonna have to integrate this into my custom panel on the vewlix.

@Aurich you're the man!!! I haven't been able to find the panel layout selector but that's definitely it!!!
There's definitely other versions that aren't quite as as slick looking where the dial is directly on the control panel. I dunno if there are kits or if every arcade is rolling their own or what.

One reason my Neo Candy never got much play is people just aren't big fans of the spaced out 4-button layout. It's original and looks great, but it's not that comfortable if you're used to a more standard Astro-style 6-button layout. A system like this makes a ton of sense to me.

Thanks again for all the collected info here, guys. It's helping to guide my custom rotary switch implementation in my new VLX. I wanted to have 4 different remapped configs for two players and I wanted the ability to remap all seven buttons for each player. Needless to say, the wiring gets a bit complex and took me quite a bit of time to think through. Definitely a fun project though.

Once I get the two switches fully installed in the cab, I'll reply here with additional details including final wiring images and a clear explanation of how to minimize the wiring headache as much as possible. Hopefully that may be of assistance to anyone else who may be looking to implement a similarly-complex switch.

Here are some of the outlines of what I wanted to achieve along with the switch I'm using and an initial mock-up of a magnet design I intend to stick on the cab.
  • Remap 7 buttons into 4 different configurations for each player (due to lack of high-quality 7-pole, 4-position switch, decided to go with 9-pole, 4-position switch)
  • I will be using this VLX cab for Jamma boards, PS4, and Saturn, but primarily want the different button mappings for PlayStation and Saturn games
    • For Saturn games it's desirable to be able to swap the top and bottom row buttons in order to have buttons A B C on the top row for non-fighting games
    • For PlayStation beat 'em ups/platformers/etc. it's nice to map the primary attack as Arcade Button 1 and Jump as Arcade Button 2 (i.e., the natural layout of most arcade beat 'em ups
      • Also wanted the ability to emulate the left and right analog sticks (via the Brook boards) for certain PlayStation games by holding down Arcade Button 7
  • Wanted to use .110 quick disconnects for all the switch wiring to make it easy to modify should I ever decide to
  • Keep the wiring as clean as possible (Buttons --> JST YL Connector --> Rotary Switch --> JST YL Connector --> Brook UFB + Brook Retro --> Console/HAS)
THE SWITCH: Electroswitch C4D0904N-A
4734246.jpg

THE BUTTON CONFIGURATIONS
Button Config.jpg

THE WIRING (some of it at least)
Wiring.jpg

I'd love to hear what implementations others have put into practice. Cheers.

I'm waiting on parts to finally get around to working on this. Only working with 5 buttons, so little less wiring. Mocked up a first draft of a key decal last night while I'm waiting. Probably going to drill holes in this panel to mount the rotary switches. It's just a repro, not too fussed about putting holes in it.

IMG_2035.jpg

I'm waiting on parts to finally get around to working on this. Only working with 5 buttons, so little less wiring. Mocked up a first draft of a key decal last night while I'm waiting. Probably going to drill holes in this panel to mount the rotary switches. It's just a repro, not too fussed about putting holes in it.

IMG_2035.jpg
Lookin' nice and clean, @Aurich. Yeah, mounting in Vewlix is a bit simpler as I'm just making a custom sub-panel to the left of the Nesica reader.

Back