What's new
Mo from Videotroniks (actually the seller of this auction I think) told me you can use this Chihiro T3 top to convert T1 to T3, but never tested myself. Ask him.

I personally have not done it, but Ken from irepairsega thought I could. I have a working Type 1 and busted Type 3 and he suggested I swap out the top units.

Thank you for the replies. I asked Videotroniks on ebay, and they "thought" it would work, but couldn't verify. If @AgentHero did this - that is good news and if it worked out as such and has all the function of a typical Type 3 machine with the CF card capability, etc.

Thank you for the replies. I asked Videotroniks on ebay, and they "thought" it would work, but couldn't verify. If @AgentHero did this - that is good news and if it worked out as such and has all the function of a typical Type 3 machine with the CF card capability, etc.
I won't speak for him, but I'm not sure if he's gotten into netbooting/firmware updates/cf yet. I think his initial goal was to get a stock WMMT up and running with GD-ROM.

My concern would be with regards to firmware updates. I'm not sure if there are differences in the motherboards that would cause the updated type 3 firmware to be incompatible with a hybrid, thereby nullifying your cf ability. Netbooting would probably work, though.

basically, the bios can detect if it's a type I or type III.
If the bios wouldn't have such a detection, the network adapter wouldn't work either as it's also different between a type I and a type III.
On type III, the bios creates a mbupdate partition on the dimm which the update program needs. So, basically, if you can upload a game and the update software using netbooting, the dimm firmware update should work as well.

So, the only concern is the bios version of the chihiro motherboard. No idea if there exist different versions, and if so, if there are versions that are pre chihiro 3.

A bios version that is type 3 aware but doesn't create a mbupdate could be problematic.
The mbrom flash that is updated has 2 1MB blocks. The first is untouched and can be used by the bios if the update (of parts of the second block) fails.

This sounds like what I did. One of my two Maximum Tune games (Type III) had a core board that failed, possibly due to a bad cap leaking. I don't remember what it did as far as which lights flashed and which didn't, but Ken was patient with me and diagnosed it over the phone as not being simply user error/a simple fix. I also had a working House of the Dead 3 (Type I) that I was considering selling anyway so I took it's Chihiro box, removed the top half, and swapped in the top half from the Maximum Tune and I was up and running the second, previously non-working Maximum Tune.

I haven't messed with netbooting or otherwise fiddling with the Franken-hiro to see what else it would do. As a side note, if anyone wants to make an offer on the HotD 3 stuff or the spare, non-working Chihiro, please do. I'm not looking for ebay prices, but $10 shipped isn't worth my time either.

Back