What's new
If the problem is following the A board then I would be considering a recap of the sound section on your A board. Could also be op amp or failed Z80

Is there a pic of where the op amp, Z80 and sound section of the A board is located? Thanks for the help guys.

Also I'm not sure if this helps, but even though it's tied to the A board, only certain games are affected. Vsav for instance consistently has the issue where ST has no issues.

What region is your A/B boards?

Are your games originals or conversions?

Sorry made an error before.

A board is Japan, B board is Japan Green board VSAV original, and Darksoft Blueboard

Last edited:
It could be that the supercap is dying/dead and sound settings are screwed up.

Easy enough to replace that on the A board and confirm it's not causing issues.

Could also be bent/damaged pins on the interconnects

I'll replace the supercap first and see, it WAS working at one point and time and seemed to just stop working suddenly without any movement. Pins seem super clean so I don't think it's that. Any idea where I can pick up the supercap? And anything to look out for to replace it? Can't really perm damage anything right? (assuming I don't burn traces etc.)

After doing some research, it sounds like the supercap, all it does is save the volume settings on the cps2. This doesn't seem like the right fix. Is there something I'm missing?

No, I'm just not sure what the issue might be on the A board. Garbled sound issues are almost all related to the B board or bent/broken pins on the interconnects.

I'm just thinking of anything that is related to the sound system that could be causing a problem.

The strange thing to me is that it only happens on certain games. It makes me think there is something odd is happening internally. Anything I can check for in terms of pins? Maybe I'm missing something but it looks super clean to me...

Can you try to hold the volume button while powering on? This resets the sound volume, might be worth a shot because if it works I think it truly is the supercap right?

Also is it exactly the same problem and sounds being played in the video I posted?

Back