What's new

Bolo

Beginner
Reaction score
HI, I have had this cps3 board and 3rd strike for years and today when I went to play its showing an all black screen on my candy cab. the cd rom is turning but nothing on the screen comes up.
I knew this day would come, please can anybody help me? Does darksoft still do repairs? or sell the a new cart to swap out? SUPER BUMMED OUT. Its my favorite game and now its not working. PLEASE HELP! I can pay for repairs/shipping or whatever is needed to fix this.

Yeah sound like cart suicide, when was last time you changed the battery? You just need to convert the cart and burn a new CD. There are a few ppl on here that can do it.

Yeah, could be suicide. Could also be you just need to reseat the security cart. They're pretty notoriously picky. The other day I needed to borrow the SCSI cable off my CPS3 setup to test a board. Only thing I touched. Put it back later and got the black screen on boot. Had to reseat the cart and just fiddle with it and reboot 6 times before I got it all back. It happens.

You might not magically wiggle it to life, but it's worth a try. Otherwise yeah, go Darksoft and get off of battery.

do you get the capcom logo when you first boot the cps3?

Spu
Yeah, could be suicide. Could also be you just need to reseat the security cart. They're pretty notoriously picky. The other day I needed to borrow the SCSI cable off my CPS3 setup to test a board. Only thing I touched. Put it back later and got the black screen on boot. Had to reseat the cart and just fiddle with it and reboot 6 times before I got it all back. It happens.

You might not magically wiggle it to life, but it's worth a try. Otherwise yeah, go Darksoft and get off of batter

I tired the wiggle thing, also tried cleaning it and still black. I sent a message to him and waiting for him to hit me back. Super bummed. That’s the only game I play.

do you get the capcom logo when you first boot the cps3?
Na, just the black screen atm. The cd rom is turning but still nothing on screen. My neo geo board works fine so I know it’s the cps3

take the cart out and boot it without the cart. Do you get garbage graphics on the screen? If you do, 99% sure the cart is dead and needs to be converted to darksoft bios

I’d check the battery with a multimeter and see if it’s giving off voltage. It’s possible the battery might’ve died if it was original from Capcom & never changed.

However, a “black screen of death” with 3S carts can still happen with a cart under battery voltage; I once had an Asian 3S cart die 3 years after a battery swap due to static electricity zapping the board before booting it up one day (damn you, change in seasons!). The zapped cart wouldn’t even give off a sync signal when plugged in to my working mobo.

Keep your CPS3 the hell away from sources of static!

I’m
take the cart out and boot it without the cart. Do you get garbage graphics on the screen? If you do, 99% sure the cart is dead and needs to be converted to darksoft bios
going to give that a try. Thx

I’d check the battery with a multimeter and see if it’s giving off voltage. It’s possible the battery might’ve died if it was original from Capcom & never changed.

However, a “black screen of death” with 3S carts can still happen with a cart under battery voltage; I once had an Asian 3S cart die 3 years after a battery swap due to static electricity zapping the board before booting it up one day (damn you, change in seasons!). The zapped cart wouldn’t even give off a sync signal when plugged in to my working mobo.

Keep your CPS3 the hell away from sources of static!
It is the original capcom battery. Can the battery just be changed out? It’s the original capcom cd as well, would I need a new cd???

How do you reset the cart???
Not reset, reseat. Literally take it out, and put it back in again, and press firmly to make sure it's seated. As I said, I had to do this 6 times recently, so while there's no saying it will fix things for you, if the battery is dead it's dead, don't assume automatically that's it. They're temperamental.

It is the original capcom battery.
Well, this game is over 2 decades old now, so yeah, if the battery has never been changed (and you have to do it right, there's no popping it out to swap it) it maybe have finally given up.

You only need a new CD if you replace your cart with at battery free SuperBIOS, it uses a different CD.

Not reset, reseat. Literally take it out, and put it back in again, and press firmly to make sure it's seated. As I said, I had to do this 6 times recently, so while there's no saying it will fix things for you, if the battery is dead it's dead, don't assume automatically that's it. They're temperamental.

Well, this game is over 2 decades old now, so yeah, if the battery has never been changed (and you have to do it right, there's no popping it out to swap it) it maybe have finally given up.

You only need a new CD if you replace your cart with at battery free SuperBIOS, it uses a different CD.
Oh ok. I see. Thx

Thx everyone for all your help and advise. I don’t really come on forums and stuff. I just play 3rd strike on my Candy cab. I new this day would come but that was over ten years ago so I just kept playing, but now it’s time. Thx again. I’m going for the super bios cart. 👍🏼

I get the same black screen even with the cart out.

Hi. I know it's just about a year since anyone replied here but I've got the same issue.

Black screen cps3. Also still a black screen with no cart. CD spins in optical drive.

Tried reseating the cart many times but I'm thinking maybe that's not the issue since it still has a black screen with no card.

What should happen when I turn on the cps3 with no cart?

Black screen cps3. Also still a black screen with no cart. CD spins in optical drive.

Tried reseating the cart many times but I'm thinking maybe that's not the issue since it still has a black screen with no card.

I had a CPS3 recently that would only give me a black screen on boot but would play blind (SIMMs were already loaded and using a Darksoft superBIOS cart). The board had been in storage for about a year, but I knew it was working beforehand. It took me a second to figure out it was playing blind since it was on the region select screen for 3S and I needed to press a button. It turned out to be bad solder connections (cold joints?) on 80% of the legs on one side of the PPU. Only when I started probing around the chip did I happen to notice the legs were loosey goosey.

I've noticed without a cart, you'd get a garbage graphic screen similar to what is displayed with a dead cart.

Back