What's new

Cg2234

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to build the original x-men vs street fighter arcade cabinet and I wanted to where can get the blueprint for the original design so I can build my own . Also, I wanted to know the specific hardware used for the cabinet such as what monitor and joystick were used (which Nanak monitor, which Sanws joystick, which speakers, etc).

Thanks

Anyone correct me if any of my facts are incorrect but X men Vs Street Fighter wasn’t sold in a dedicated cabinet. They were sold as kits that you can install in a new empty cabinet or you can convert an old cabinet to a X men Vs Street fighter. Arcade operators usually put this game in Dynamo HS cabinets and there were a variety of different models but typically they were HS5 cabs or Z back cabinets. If you want a more unique cabinet you can find a Capcom Big Blue cabinet or a Dynamo Showcase Cab. There are plenty of cabs out there if you decide not to build one. As for the typical dynamo HS monitors they were 25 inch Wells Gardner k7000s if I’m correct.

Pretty sure you are correct.

Dynamo HS-5, 25" k7000, Happ sticks and buttons, I think standard 4 ohm speakers. I have two of them.

What @MegaMan said, I don't think there's specifically an original. I think they were conversion kits that included the pcb, marquee and cpo. Neither of those are the mentioned cabinets, in not sure what they are. Could be another dynamo model. If you tell them IL euro sticks and buttons they should know what you mean. They're basically modern happ controls.

Just basic arcade speakers, there isn't a brand. That is an insane price for that in my opinion. I rebuilt mine and got a cps2 for about a third of that. Granted it doesnt look brand new but just an fyi. Kind of a rip off man.

I want to build the hardware where it works with at least the original sf2 championship edition arcade. What parts did that use? Was that the nanao monitor with Santa joysticks. What do you think would be the best arcade build with what said? Also I’d use the monitor and joysticks with marvel vs. Capcom 2? What do you think? Would the overall experience would be better if I build 2 separate cabinets or the one with at least the nanao monitor and Sanwa joysticks would be enough for all the games? I’d also play marvel super heroes vs sf and marvel Capcom with it. I’ll use fightcade.

Thanks

That one is a zback. US cabinets didn't use sanwa they used happ. Your talking about jamma setups for sf, mvc 2 runs on jvs though via the Naomi. Two totally different setups. Fightcade if im not mistaken is through an emulation so with a pc but I'm not really versed on that. Wells gardner k7000 is the monitor not the nanao as far as I know. I'm not an expert or anything but it sounds like you're trying to go in 3 directions. Honestly I'd research the shit out of what you want, that's what I did and it grew from there. Start simple and focus on one thing to get started.

I want the one Japan uses. The arcade1up build uses Sanwa. It’s what they always promote as what they use for the original. I’m not sure about the monitor they used.

My plan is to use one arcade build with the best specs so I can run Fightcade on it. I know MvsC2 is Naomi but I’m gonna play it on the CPS2 monitor.

https://www.vintagearcade.net/shop/arcade-games/street-fighter-champion-edition-arcade-game/

I’d use this one where the if the Jap build is Nanao MS8 or MS9 which I believe they might’ve used with Sanwa JLF joysticks, I’d ask the guy to build it that way where I’d use it to play Fightcade for all the CPS2 games along with MvsC2.

I think naomi utilizes a tro sync monitor which wouldnt be ms8 or 9 since those are dual res. The joysticks would have probably been sanwa jlf's. You keep mentioning the best specs, are you referring to a pc build for fightcade?

I need specs for the monitor, joysticks and speaker with the arcade cabinet. I’d have the guy include an adapter so I can hook up everything to a raspberry pi to run Fightcade on it.

The Jap SF2: CE used MS8 or MS9?

Jap games were in universal cabs like an astro city, blast city, net city etc. Idk which monitor, really depends on the cab but there isn't a dedicated cab. Sorry man, in not sure.

I'm confused. You keep asking about Japanese monitors and buttons/sticks, while showing links to American cabs as examples, and asking for the 'original' specs of a cabinet for CPS2... All for emulation as the endpoint. Also, why was Arcade1up brought up at all in a conversation about original parts? They did not use Sanwa parts. They source their own, cheaper stuff to build down to a cost in a non-commercial environment. While A1up does re-release licensed games today, they are likely not considered authentic or original by anyone who takes the arcade hobby even somewhat seriously, nor are they legally allowed for use in a commercial environment.

To repeat what @MegaMan and @astro_zombie138 said, Capcom games in the 90's era (the heyday of JAMMA) weren't typically sold on a dedicated cab basis. If you were an operator in the US, you would order just order the CPS1/2 board, and throw it plus the marquee/art into whatever arcade cabs you had on hand, which was most likely from the Texas based company Dynamo.

Since you aren't very clear about this: Do you want an original style American or Japanese cab? What does original spec and parts even mean, by your definition?

If you want to build an "original" or "period correct" American style stand up cab, then you're looking for American parts. That would typically mean a Wells Gardner 25" monitor like a k7400, along with Industrias Lorenzo sticks and buttons (or SUZOHAPP, but IL is better quality). Sanwa sticks/buttons and Nanao chassis CRTs were never used in American cabs. They were used in Japanese cabs. Even then, those specific brands weren't used 100% of the time. Sega Astro Cites and others used Seimitsu sticks and buttons quite often. Building a USA style cab from scratch isn't out of the question, since USA cabs are typically not as well taken care of, and built out of easily damaged MDF. I doubt Sanwa controls were common at all in the USA until around 2008ish or after, when SF4 began revitalizing fighting games.

If you want a Japanese cab, then you're better off just buying a existing cab and refurbishing it, since most cabs are built out of resin/plastic or metal shells. Those cabs typically (but not always) use the Nanao and Sanwa parts that you keep asking about, so using those parts would be "original" in that sense. A Blast City would probably be the best option if you're so focused on getting a Nanao monitor and Sanwa controls, although owning a Blast CIty is a bit of a pain, especially for people new to arcade ownership. New Net City is another one, except the monitor would be a Sanwa PFX. Both the Blast and NNC are tri-sync, which would work better for stuff like Naomi, if that matters. While less common than Astro City, they also aren't crazy rare to find in the US either (the NNC might be rarer now, especially with how desirable the PFX is).

If Fightcade is the only thing you intend to play on the cab, then I'm not entirely sure any of this matters, since you would be going through a bunch of expense and hassle just to connect a PC to JAMMA and a 15khz monitor. You would almost certainly need to add another external monitor connected to your PC just to make Windows useable. It would be much easier just getting a Unico Nova Blast (which should just support a PC in a plug and play fashion), and calling it a day. Heck, you could even run actual arcade boards on it too without much trouble. A cheaper route would be getting a Chewlix with Sanwa controls. You could replace the existing LCD with a good quality high refresh gaming monitor and have a setup that would also work seamlessly with modern games in addition to Fightcade.

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for.

I want the Japanese cab. The guy that’s selling the sf2:ce arcade in the link said he’ll put what I want in the cab. Which Nanao and Sanwa joystick were used the Japanese cab. MS8 or MS9? Sanwa JLF what? I need the exact model numbers. Thanks for the help

Everything @Zepherino laid out above is exactly the information you're looking for, but your response seems to confuse things further. My primary advice is just to read and learn as much as you can about the relevant cabs discussed above before spending any money as rushing into a decision at this point is likely to be a mistake. The good news is that this forum contains all the info you're likely interested in.

If you're looking for a period-accurate, Japanese cab to play cps2, an Astro City or New Astro City is a great option. New Astro City cabs came with MS9s and the older Astro City cabs generally came with MS8s. If, on the other hand, you'd prefer a cab that will easily work with a 480p signal from a Naomi, a Blast, Net, or New Net City are good options. None of these cabs are necessarily easy to get these days (in the condition you may be looking for), but they are generally easier to track down than other options.

Also, if you want a Japanese cabinet, there's really no need to be looking at the particular seller you've linked above or to be going back and forth with him about some sort of hodgepodge, Dynamo-design cabinet with a Nanao monitor and Sanwa or Seimitsu controls (if that's even some real possibility). His repros look ok, but those US cabs have basically no relation to the Japanese cabs, controls, and monitors it seems like you may be interested in.

Best of luck with the search and welcome to the hobby.

Where can I buy the MS9 and Sanwa JLf new? what about the dongle to hookup MS9 and Sanwa JLF to a pc? Where can I buy the speakers used for the dynamo hs-5 new?

Back