What's new
Check on the bottom of the board, depending on the version you might have a little daughterboard (96682A-S) with an 74LS08 SOIC on it that's involved in sync generation.

I've seen mobos where this board is soldered directly to the 4 pins of the crystal on the top side of the mobo, and over time the pads on the daughterboard get lifted if it's not mounted flush.

Anyway, that would be a good place to start.
This solved a problem I was having with one of my CPS3 boards (no sync). One of the bodge wires had snapped off - now syncing! Thank you!

Glad to see this thread, at the very least, solved someone's problem.

Did not notice there was a marketplace down there, and people selling CPS3 parts. Should really have a look to find a new, working, kit.

Last edited:
Hello all

i was the seller here. I offered a refund to Warner for the board and it arrived today.
Just to say that board was working well. As shown on the video below (tested with my 3.2 but it's written Jojo on the mobo i sold to Warner)
as you can see there isn't any sync issue or else.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MRRuBj1gLUdCKC7h1y_GM-LD3QoTWxMG/view?usp=sharing
Some of this kit is 30+ years old, random failures are becoming more common. I left one of my working MVS4 slot boards in the uninsulated garage overnight, literally one night. Hasn’t worked since :-/

I'm glad to see those motherboards working again once back at home ! I was worried these parts may had unfixable or unknown issues... Good to know, thx.

what i know now is that i really need to :
- have a test set-up with a supergun,
- have a random test board (a soccer game from the late 80's would do the trick)
- buy a complete working and reliable cps3 kit at first as a central part for secondary tests with incoming supply.

Back