What's new

arcadeqc

Student
Reaction score
I have a CPS1 A board that plays well and outputs video, but no sound. Does anyone have experience repairing the sound portion of CPS1? Pointers, tips, repair logs greatly appreciated!

No music no fx no nothing? If you turn up the amp can you still hear a hiss? If so I’d start with the z80. Also easy to check the audio roms but the z80s fail a lot

No music no fx no nothing? If you turn up the amp can you still hear a hiss? If so I’d start with the z80. Also easy to check the audio roms but the z80s fail a lot
This.

I've also seen the amp go bad, but the Z80 is where you start. They used a Z80 but built the sound system (and silkscreened it for) a Z80A. So the lower rated Z80s have been running overclocked for 30 years

Ok, thanks for the input guys. When I crank up the sound, it does have a hiss to it. Inspecting the board it seems that the Z80 has already been socketed and the chip in there is a Z84C0020PEC. I'll look into replacing that. Is the part I should replace it with the Z84C0006PEG, in DIP 40 pin package?

Z84C0006 would be a 6mhz Z80A I think, so that should be fine.

The current one is a 20mhz processor.. are you sure it isn't Z84C0002PEC? 2mhz? I would replace it anyway as they do fail and see where you end up from there

Back