What's new

DJLC

Professional
Reaction score
I bought a dead battery CPS2 B board and installed an infinikey to revive it. However, it only boots to scrambled graphics then cycles the coin counter over and over for around 1-2 minutes, then stops.

I've tried pushing down on all major chips while it was running and I made sure the connection is solid so I am wondering if there's still a way to save this bad boy. Any ideas

I also have a suicided board that does this. :( Would love to know if this can be solved!

Do you have raz's cps2 suicide detection rom? Maybe check to see if the key programming is working correctly? Which revision of the rom board is it? -7?

Its a -6 Board and I do not have the rom but I was told it booted to a Yellow screen before I bought it. I don't think its the key since I talked to Undamned Directly and his chip shouldn't do anything like this.

You can put mismatched program and data roms on a board and it will boot to a scrambled graphics version of the program roms. Since it doesn't sound like your game is booting up, it sounds like it has a static garbled graphics? I would suspect the program roms now. I would also always go back to the basics and make sure your voltage is right.

do you have an eprom burner/reader? I would try reading in the program roms and see if they are good. I would take a look at all of the sockets to see if there is visible corrosion.

I swapped the MSH program roms with an old board I had from a previous Darksoft CPS2 kit but still same thing. So I was thinking the board was just freakin' dead so I started to press on chips while the board booted and I actually saw the game semi-boot with the Name and Date of rom printing popping up. So I held down the 2 Capcom chips that are between the chips 1-2/11/12 & 3-10 while it booted and the game actually booted fine.

It froze a couple of times but I then got some canned air and sprayed it in-between all the legs of those 2 chips then I was able to get the game to boot consistently... No errors when I got a chance to do a rom check so I am hoping it was dirt or something trapped and the game is okay now...

Back