What's new

roy

Professional
Reaction score
hey
any chance there is an instruction some where on how to consolize cps2 A board?
thanks

roy

Professional
Reaction score
I saw that board and it looks great
but its not what I'm looking for

roy

Professional
Reaction score
instructions on how to fully consolize cps2 a board so I won't need to use supergun and pc power supply

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's instructions because it's one of those things that everyone will have a different idea on how they want it set up.

@undamned used to make a kit which made connecting things up easier but I'm not sure if he still makes these.

You still need a PC power supply but I think UD installed a PicoPSU into the case and it was powered from a laptop brick

roy

Professional
Reaction score
does the system needs 12v along 5v?

Fluffy

Grand Master
Reaction score
Yes you need 12v for the sound circuit
I was wondering, has anyone ever designed a supergun that integrates a picopsu? Maybe scaled down to only generates the voltages/ampere that a board needs?
Can you generate the 12v from a boost converter, so you can support a wider range of input voltages?

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
@Frank_fjs runs his Supergun from a PicoPSU and it works fine

You probably could run +12 from a boost converter (I have done this on a Neo before I worked out how to mod for +5 only without cutting traces) but CPS2 and other boards, particularly Midway do draw quite a bit on +12 so it may be an issue.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Why use a DC booster for the 12V? The Pico supplies this natively. I use a voltage inverter to generate -5V from 12V.

Pico's work great, plenty of power for most boards.

Fluffy

Grand Master
Reaction score
Why use a DC booster for the 12V? The Pico supplies this natively. I use a voltage inverter to generate -5V from 12V.

Pico's work great, plenty of power for most boards.
The idea would be to use a single-voltage power supply, maybe something relatively common like 9V, and only generate 12V and 5V. Picos generate 3.3V and -12V, which you wouldn't need for a supergun.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I don't see the harm in the superfluous voltages bring present. I mean, have you seen a Pico, held it in your hands? They're tiny! They only need a single DC barrel PSU to run too. Very handy little devices.

Fluffy

Grand Master
Reaction score
I don't see the harm in the superfluous voltages bring present. I mean, have you seen a Pico, held it in your hands? They're tiny! They only need a single DC barrel PSU to run too. Very handy little devices.
Well, it isn't really harm, and it'll work fine... I just thought it is neater (and cheaper) to have a barrel jack and 2-3 voltage regulators directly on the board, than an ATX power connector and a separate picoPSU, especially when you want to consolize something.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I'm confused. Pico supplies both 5V and 12V, in a compact form and runs off a single PSU source. I feel it's neat enough. :)

DeWitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never heard of this PicoPSU! Nice little device! Thanks for the hint :)

GGPO_Halfro

Beginner
Reaction score
So I have been working on this (in my spare time, work / school / kids lol), I did a little research because I wanted to do the project justice and I did not want to alter the original function of the board (keeping jamma edge etc). My project is:

Phoenixed Street Fighter Alpha 1 board
Darksoft CPS2 kit
CPS2 HDMI
Pico Power Supply
2 Undamned USB decoders
Fan Replacement (when I bought off ebay, they said fan was on verge of breaking so I just bought one outright)

Anyways, there really isnt a tutorial per-se but I did find this thread helpful:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61912

It discusses some of things that are being discussed in here including power draw, etc.

This guy does it as a service (also shares lots of pics if you need a visual)

https://www.facebook.com/ifixretro

Last edited:
Reactions: roy

GGPO_Halfro

Beginner
Reaction score
No problem!

Honestly I would like to create a resource since I am still working on mine and it would be a good way to document the process to catch it from this point. I need to do the power supply next so I am going to do some research and then post the process + pictures. It doesnt seem that difficult just kinda annoying working with old plastic (the stand offs seem to break really easy on the pcb, I am so gentle with the board but maybe not enough lol).