What's new

SubScorpion

Student
Reaction score
I've searched up and down the forums, posted in other threads with similar issues but can't seem to find an answer to resolve this. I checked the repair help threads and didn't see anything that specifically addressed MY issue (although it's possible I missed it). Basically when I first turn on the multi it hangs at the rom check screen.
Screenshot_20230429_072738_Gallery~2.jpg
The only way I can get it to boot is to reflash the rom. After that, flawless performance. I can switch game to game and never have another hiccup. Once I power down and come back to it later, same issue. I don't think when I first installed the kit I had this problem. It's progressively gotten worse and now it happens 99.9% of the time. I've had this same issue running the multi on different jamma setups I have so I don't believe it's a voltage issue. I've tried a different sd card and no change. Could either the A or B board need a recap? I feel like they're the only components that when starting to fail could cause an intermittent issue like that. I'd love it if @Darksoft could chime in and possibly point me in the right direction to resolve this since I'm out of ideas. Anyone else who's had this exact issue please comment if you've figured it out.

I've got an A board behaving like this. I believe it's to do with the Q sound, perhaps it's not making a proper connection between A and B.

I've got an A board behaving like this. I believe it's to do with the Q sound, perhaps it's not making a proper connection between A and B.
I've been experimenting and it seems the 2 ways I can get it to boot up and act normal is if I either, A: boot up, then reflash the rom OR if I B: power it on, then switch to another game on the switcher (I have the multi on a 6 in 1 switcher) and switch back it then boots and works like normal. It's almost as if the CPS2 needs to "warm up" by getting some voltage running through it before it'll boot the game for the first time. @Darksoft does that make any sense? Could there be a component out of tolerance that it would make the multi act like that?

To me the problem is clearly the switcher. Can you try to hook it directly without it?

To me the problem is clearly the switcher. Can you try to hook it directly without it?
I have. It's definitely not the switcher. I've hooked the multi up to a couple different jamma setups I have (no switcher) and have had the issue on each setup. It seems to have gotten worse over time. Before it would hang once in a while, now it hangs 99.9% of the time. The issue is odd because once it boots, I have no other booting issues again, switching game to game, until the next time I turn the cabinet on cold.

Back