What's new

ROYSTURRR

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a bootleg* AVP with A board combo. The boards are just bare PCBs, so I was thinking of replacing the 96 pin headers and the Kick header with ribbon cables. Are those parts valuable to the community? If their value doesn't exceed the cost of ribbon cables, I won't do it.

*I didn't know it was fake. This is my first board

what do you mean with bootleg?
Repro board, or converted board?

Can you post some pictures?

It's a converted B board. The EPROMs are cheap-looking PCBs instead of chips, missing battery, missing PAL3 chip. The board is a 93646B-7 revision. The 96 pin headers are gray--male headers have an embossed Capcom logo. A board headers are all male, uniform height; B board headers are all female; uniform height. The Kick header is just plain white

Last edited:
sound like a Japan/USA/EU board to me then.
You could swap out the eproms to every other game basically if you also match the PAL and Jumper settings.
It is not uncommon to see converted CPS2 boards so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you didn't overpay ;)

Also it sounds like a good candidate for the CPS2 multi ;)

But I don't understand why you would want to swap out the connectors with ribbon cables? that will just complicate things IMO

That's a genuine rev 7 B board converted to AvP. Was probably a Marvel vs Capcom or similar to start with.

Excellent conversion candidate or for the multi as @PascalP said. Rev 7 is factory G PAL so no bodge wire required, and the jumpers are already set correctly from factory.

It's a conversion bootleg, but the boards are original

As others have said, it seems like a strange (and difficult, time consuming) thing to do to remove all the headers and install ribbon cables which are going to be less reliable.

I know it's unnecessary work, but I saw an A board on ebay with broken pins and thought maybe someone out there wanted replacement parts. The Kick header I want to replace with a floppy header because floppy cables are cheap. I mentioned that it was bootleg and missing the cases to justify doing doing these sketchy-looking mods. The CPS2 multi absolutely entered my mind, but I might settle for a Raspberry Pi build to save money

Kick harnesses are very cheap to buy or make yourself. You're not going to save anything converting it to an IDC connector.... The Hirose connectors are available through Digikey very readily

Kick harnesses are very cheap to buy or make yourself. You're not going to save anything converting it to an IDC connector.... The Hirose connectors are available through Digikey very readily
exactly this :)

As for the A/B board interconnects, I think that most people who frequently repair PCB's have a pile of scrap boards to take these connectors from.
So save yourself the trouble and leave the board as is + this will also hold the boards resale value and ability to install a different B board on it etc.

Do you guys know what part (female plug) I need to buy to make my own kick harness? It'd be nice if I could make my own looms for the same price as chopping up a floppy cable
of course we do :D

Hirose HRS DF1B connector series
Connector
Description: Rectangular Connectors 2.5MM DOUBLE ROW SKT 34P HOUSING
Manufacturer Part Number: DF1B-34DS-2.5RC
Mouser Part No: 798-DF1B-34DS-2.5RC
Connector Pins
Description: Rectangular Connectors 20-22AWG SKT CONTACT TIN PLATING
Manufacturer Part No: DF1B-2022SC
Mouser Part No: 798-DF1B-2022SC
Board End Connector
Description: Headers 2.5MM RA DBL ROW HDR 34P THRU-HOLE TIN