What's new
I was wondering if the problem was being caused by the use of this:

Mitsurugi_w_NoCD Utility.iso , assuming it is this https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/mitsurugi-ws-cpsiii-nocd-utility-disk.16/

but from reading the thread that is to write an encrypted No CD image to simms using a superbios CD cart which would be swapped for a genuine No CD cart which isn't applicable here.

Tika the reason for this is because the Zulu SCSI is working, its emulating a scsi drive and since you have a 2I cart it lets you install 2I. Just reiterating what Kazuo said you shouldn't be able to get past the boot menu without that 7th simm, you would normally get a not enough memory error.

You actually need a CD cart to install with first unfortunately, if you check out the main thread there is recent discussion on updating carts to have a dual bios (CD/No CD), so you could install in CD mode then flip the switch and boom no cd.

Thanks for the reminder - I did see a post about making a cart essentially be dual boot with a microswitch - I'll explore this option as it may make things easier for now and in the future.

Ain't that some shit. I didn't know Capcom made that error.

Seems like Tika hit a rare sequence, lol.

I missed the fact he doesn't have his CPS3 board fully populated as well.

I also didn't know there was a mini Zulu out as well.
Glad to have brought something to the community with the corner case that I've found ;)

Now, off to find some SIMMs to buy...

When I swap the original 2I cart over for my Darksoft cart (Standard SH2 & NoCD BIOS) and attempt to boot off it to flash any other game that's not 2I, I don't get past the initial region select screen, so I can't even attempt to flash a game onto the SIMMs, although it looks like I've hit a corner case where it doesn't let me know I don't have enough SIMMs :\

Ah, that's pretty interesting. So you weren't trying to flash using 2I... I wonder if this is just normal behavior for a Darksofted NO CD BIOS? Or is it because you specifically have 2I installed on the SIMMs?

Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps Darksoft (or Mitsu) has the best answer.

I originally thought it was due to 2I being on the SIMMs, so I used the Darksoft cart's menu and erased all of the SIMMs, and tried to flash something else, but gave me the same result.

Yeah, it might be expected behaviour for a missing SIMM in slot 6 when using the NoCD BIOS - happy for Darksoft and Mitsu to chime in if they have any relevent info

Back