What's new

Sl1pm0de

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased the Darksoft CPS2 mod. I have a working battery less MvC CPS2 board. Model 93646B-4 B board. I removed all of the correct EPROMS per the guide and added both Darksoft boards with the bridge board (arrow facing up towards the large Darksoft board). I ran the Key Writing wires from the Darksoft board to the B board per the “Championship Edition” instructions. When booting with the standard ROM loaded I get a black screen. When booting with a decrypted ROM loaded I get a yellow screen. Any thoughts on what is wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 3D69FE2B-1DA7-498C-8361-640475C235A6.jpeg
    3D69FE2B-1DA7-498C-8361-640475C235A6.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 103
So you’re using the decrypted set? If not, try that.

I would then ensure that your boards are all making good contact and firmly together. The CPS-2 A + B and also the boards for the multi. Use pressure from under and above on the multi to ensure that all pins are making firm contact and in the sockets.

Remove the interconnect board and reseat it also.

Was the multi working before you cased it up? If it’s a new install and you just removed the battery (or even not) you may need to short the EXC5.

Where did you get your key writing wire. Have you tried removing that and then using the decrypted set?

Have you tried another SD? What is showing on your LCD screen?

If all this doesn’t work work. I would suggest dismantling carefully and cleaning the pins at all connections with isopropyl and blowing any gunk that might be there out/off.

Don’t worry, we’ll get you up and running.

Thanks for your reply. I am using a working board. The LCD screen works fine. It’s gives me the option to scroll through and load games. The game loads and says it is ready to play. I reseated all of the boards they are nice and snug. I tried the encrypted roms with the key writing wire connected. I always get a black screen. I made the key writing wire harness. See attached pic. I tried the decrypted roms with the key writing wire attached (I got a black screen). I tried the decrypted roms with the key writing wire detached (I got a red screen).

Question about loading decrypted roms, is the key writing wire supposed to be attached for decrypted roms?

Attachments

• 2E7982FB-BE39-47D2-BA95-E6E5ED63D610.jpeg
    2E7982FB-BE39-47D2-BA95-E6E5ED63D610.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 87
It’s better to detach the wire to be sure, but I don’t think it matters.

Did you try shorting the EXC5? And did you try using another SD?

I was asking if this Multi working before you installed it in the metal case. Or when you say the board was working, are you talking about the donor set before you removed the chips?

I don’t know if the Darksoft board was working prior. It’s brand new. The donor Marvel vs Capcom board was working fine before I removed the EPROMs. This SD I am using is brand new. I formatted the SD to Fat32 using the utility in the set up guide. I will try another SD today. I did not see instructions on how to short EXC5. What is that and how do you do that?

Thanks, yeah I read that guide. It’s a little confusing because it was written in 2018 and appears to have instructions for previous versions of the Darksoft board. So I am not 100% what is being stated applies to my board. Besides having a working donor board, assuming a working Darksoft board, everything is fit together properly, key wiring is correct and SD card is proper is that all this setup requires?

Can you take a look at my screenshot and look at the key wiring colors and confirm they are wired properly?

I was getting various issues with my first attempt, one was yellow screen, I can’t remember and I’ll have to go back to the big thread but in the end I think it was just seating issues (as well as what turned out to be some bad NG roms on a rev 6 XvSF board that was previously 100%)

Champ edition
^FYI That’s the link to the newer version boards instruction/guide

Thanks, yeah I read that guide. It’s a little confusing because it was written in 2018 and appears to have instructions for previous versions of the Darksoft board. So I am not 100% what is being stated applies to my board. Besides having a working donor board, assuming a working Darksoft board, everything is fit together properly, key wiring is correct and SD card is proper is that all this setup requires?

Can you take a look at my screenshot and look at the key wiring colors and confirm they are wired properly?
I meant to read through the entire thread as there’s lots of info on all the pages. You’ll also find the info about shorting the EXC5 there. I couldn’t find pics using the search function here unfortunately, but I do remember there’s photos somewhere.

You could start from the end and read backwards as the later posts are more relevant to the Champion Edition Multi.

Thanks. That is the guide I used. I checked all the pins and everything seems to be nice and snug. I guess my 93646B-4 B board is not ideal. I used the Championship guide for how to wire the wiring key connector. In the definitive guide I saw mention of possibly having to wire a jumper on the B board but I ignored it because there was no mention of a jumper in the latest guide.

I meant to read through the entire thread as there’s lots of info on all the pages. You could start from the end and read backwards as the later posts are more relevant to the Champion Edition Multi.
Will do. Thanks

I used a rev 4 board in the end, I can’t give you super technical help but it might be worth posting (sorry for advocating dupe posting) on the champ edition thread, I got super helps on there 👍🏻👍🏻😂

I used a rev 4 board in the end, I can’t give you super technical help but it might be worth posting (sorry for advocating dupe posting) on the champ edition thread, I got super helps on there 👍🏻👍🏻😂
Thanks, other than the key wiring harness did you have to do anything to your B board?

Thanks, other than the key wiring harness did you have to do anything to your B board?
Nothing else at all, I tested it first without the key wires using the decrypted rom set then when that was confirmed working i soldered then key wires abs used the other rom pack

I will say that the female connectors (internal to the plastic housing) on my kit’s top board were quite flimsy and after having reseated a couple of times I found they had moved, causing me a proper headache getting the board re-seated properly, maybe check this (although that could have just been my board, or my ham-fists)

Back