What's new

JohnRambo'sKnife

Champion
Reaction score
Hi,

Have a supergun setup with a set of Laugh PS1 to DB15 and Undamned USB converters (2 of each, so 4 total). Since people come over to play rather often and sticks are mixed in terms of being PS1 and USB based, wanted to see how I can simplify connections.

That said, is it safe to use a DB15 Y adapter so that both the PS1 converter and Undamned converters are powered simultaneously for both the 1P and 2P sides? I am concerned the 5V draw might be excessive (potential damage?) or creating some conflict between the converters.

Anyone tried this? Would save a lot of hassle having to manually move the DB15 connector between the two converters every other match.

I suppose I could add a switch for the 5V line if needed?

What is the supergun you are using? They vary enormously in design competence and execution quality.

@RGB is a busy man doing awesome stuff, but he is on these boards and if he sees this he could give an authoritative answer.

OK, thanks. I think the best answer may be just getting a 2:1 DB15 data switch and mounting the converters on top.

Something like this:

2015.jpg

That said, is it safe to use a DB15 Y adapter so that both the PS1 converter and Undamned converters are powered simultaneously for both the 1P and 2P sides?

I suppose I could add a switch for the 5V line if needed?
I wouldn't recommend that even with the switch - unless you also separate the I/O's because there could be some parasitic power and the other adapter could get powered through a signal pin, it's not something you want. The device you posted above, while not pretty, will do the job.

I don't know if this directly answers your question, but I'm in the same situation and what I tired didn't work.

I have super old Jason Wilson JAMMA->PSX converters that are wired to a JAMMA pass-through board.

(I'm pretty sure the DB15->PSX connectors on it are genuine Laugh ones)

They work great, but I also tried to wire Undamned converters to it as well, and neither works completely properly when I do that. Works fine when I unwired them.

I use old MAS superguns with the printer-port DB inputs.

When I tested the inputs in CPS2 test, some buttons were permanently grounded. Everything seemed to be wired properly, and worked fine once I took off the UD-CPS2s

I don't know if this directly answers your question, but I'm in the same situation and what I tired didn't work.

I have super old Jason Wilson JAMMA->PSX converters that are wired to a JAMMA pass-through board.

(I'm pretty sure the DB15->PSX connectors on it are genuine Laugh ones)

They work great, but I also tried to wire Undamned converters to it as well, and neither works completely properly when I do that. Works fine when I unwired them.

I use old MAS superguns with the printer-port DB inputs.

When I tested the inputs in CPS2 test, some buttons were permanently grounded. Everything seemed to be wired properly, and worked fine once I took off the UD-CPS2s
Interesting. Maybe a common ground issue on the kicks for the laugh converters?

Back