What's new

chacal231077

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hi! :)

I have my Devkit Dreamcast HKT-0120 which has trouble booting in Dreamcast mode.
The screen freezes with the logo of the hairspring and then after a minute it hangs in the menu with the message "please wait while disc is being cheked"

220218635_560068121695803_55088857837555586_n.jpg

I had the Switch on the right and I think that's what must have erased the Boot to flash memory.

in the Getting Started with Dreamcast R10 manual it is written

Capture d’écran de 2021-07-25 18-51-07.png

"Make certain the slide switch on the front of the Dreamcast development system is set to the LEFT.

Note:

Setting this switch to the right enables writing to the Dreamcast Boot ROM (flash memory). The Boot ROM
contains code to load games, play audio CDs, transfer files to save game cards, etc. This switch has no effect
on the Cross Products DA (Debug Adapter) and GD-M (GD-ROM Emulator) flash ROMs.
Your development system may become unbootable if you accidentally write to flash memory when this
switch is to the right. Don’t try to reflash your system's Boot ROM unless instructed to do so by Sega.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you for Help

if it says "checking disc", obviously there is some problem with GD-drive or GD-M emulator (depending which mode was configured via host PC). it has nothing with mentioned switch

:) Hi! MetalliC

the kit since I have it has always worked.
I've had it for 10 years.

I have never connected it to a PC in SCSI.

I always used it in Dreamcast mode.

the only thing i did is dump the HDD from the devkit under ubuntu with the dd command.

I did not use window for the dump because I know full well that Windows writes in the MBR.

the little Devkit it worked in Dreamcast mode without its HDD?

thank you

the kit since I have it has always worked.
I've had it for 10 years.
well, it is impossible to guess the cause of problem with no information about details
in any case, the problem is in GD-drive. this message usually shown when drive detected disc inserted and trying to initialize it - detect disc type, read TOC and everything like that

he only thing i did is dump the HDD from the devkit under ubuntu with the dd command.
I did not use window for the dump because I know full well that Windows writes in the MBR.
the only thing I wanted to know - why there was dumped only 1.3GB from 2GB partition ?

since i dismantled the devkit to remove the solder battery that was dead to put an ML2032 on support, and having everything reassembled the devkit had this problem.
I'm at work another 2 hours, but after I check everything

Connect it to your pc via the scsi and the 2940 card. Run the program and set it first in GD emu mode and then back to disc drive again. If that does not work just flash the dev kit system with the SDK 10 last release firm. And it should be back on track

Back