What's new

bobbydilley

Grand Master
Reaction score
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/lindbergh.cpp#L119

Mame shows two different versions of Outrun for the Lindbergh. The standard Outrun 2 Special Tours, and the deluxe Outrun 2 SP SDX game for the large movement cabinets.

I know that on the non darksoft multi, the dump used is the Outrun 2 SP SDX game, which I beleive is heavily patched to run without a large movement cabinet (uplight style setting doesn't seem available in the SDX version by default).

Would be interested to see if @Darksoft can comment on which version was used on his multi?

I can't seem to find any reference online to Outrun 2 Special Tours (the non sdx version).

Does anyone know if the non special sitdown Outrun 2 Special Tours ever really exsited for the Sega Lindbergh, or if mame has it wrong?

Only OutRun2 SP SDX exists for Lindbergh (the motion version with 2 steering wheels). The Outrun2 SP for Lindbergh in MAME refers to the 2-car version which was titled OutRun2 SP DX while OutRun2 SP SDX refers to the 4-car version.

Of course, this OutRun2 SP DX should not be confused with the deluxe version of OutRun2 SP (non motion large cabinet with one steering wheel) which runs on Chihiro.

It's all down to poor naming choice by Sega.

Only OutRun2 SP SDX exists for Lindbergh (the motion version with 2 steering wheels). The Outrun2 SP for Lindbergh in MAME refers to the 2-car version which was titled OutRun2 SP DX while OutRun2 SP SDX refers to the 4-car version.

Of course, this OutRun2 SP DX should not be confused with the deluxe version of OutRun2 SP (non motion large cabinet with one steering wheel) which runs on Chihiro.

It's all down to poor naming choice by Sega.
Thank you for this @Nomax, this makes perfect sense to me!

I'm not able to find an Outrun 2 SP DX disk anywhere online, just to see if MAME has titled it correctly (They have titled it as Outrun 2 Special Tours, not Outrun 2 SP DX as I would expect)

The Outrun 2 SP SDX disk is DVP-0015A. Do you know if we are sure that another version of the software definately exists - and that both 2 and 4 player versions wouldn't just run the same SP SDX software disk?

I'm pretty confident that both 2-car and 4-car versions are running the same software but I'm not 100% sure.

I've done a bit more research and thought I'd just put this here for anyone else interested.

The difference between the sun brightness in Lindbergh Outrun and Chihiro Outrun is due to the patching of the screen resolution to get it to run in different resolutions by whoever did the patches originally. The original unpatched game doesn't do that, and if you run it at it's original resolution the sun behaves in exactly the same way as the Chihiro one does.

The Outrun 2 SP SDX original image actually does contain the "Standard" and "Uplight" (misspelling of upright) modes, although they're disabled by default in the released image. It looks like possibly they ported the game fully from Chihiro and then after added the moving cabinet part of it, or alternatively they did mean to release it as a normal, non-SDX version for the Lindbergh and then never got around to it.

is the lindbergh version just a port or was there any in game extras added that were not in the chihiro version?

is the lindbergh version just a port or was there any in game extras added that were not in the chihiro version?
Not sure that there's anything extra besides the different resolution and that it allows 2 players to drive the same car.

Back