What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
Power user lol! You’re the power user, that’s why I traded you for this rig!!

short version is @jassin000 ill just show you the crtemu rig @RealMFnG built for me next time you’re over. I can load the same game on two cabs, one with this emu rig, one real pcb, and you can tell me what you think. But I won’t tell you which cab has the real pcb ;)

the rig is also easy to remove, no special wiring, so I’m not suck with a dedicated mame cab. Though it doesn’t move much...

CRT disdain aside, just curious if this comparison ever went down. Were you able to tell the difference @jassin000? With COVID restrictions dying down, would love to see this captured on video if it does happen!

It happened but will have to be replayed. failure on my part as test runner

I had to boot them up separately with him out of the room, and he heard the pcb boot quickly and start attract audio quickly. Then he heard the pc boot. Only it didn’t have audio — I had forgotten to switch to rca/stereo. However I just thought attract audio was just off in mame, and didn’t think anything of it, so I let him back into the room. At that point he said he could tell which was which because he’d heard the boot sequences and only one cab had attract audio running.

Sherlock would have been proud, but the test was invalid before he touched the controls.

he did put some coins in but I’ll let him decide if he wants to give his perspective

Last edited:
LoLoL!

Keep me posted if it ever goes down again and videograph it well please. Not picking on our good friend @jassin000, just really curious. Should run 3-to-5 rounds to make it less than a 50/50 proposition. And run a fan in both cabs in case he is listening for case fans. Should make for a nice Youtube video:

“Can MAME pull the wool over an Arcade Snobs eyes!?”

“Can MAME pull the wool over an Arcade Snobs eyes!?”
Depends what hardware you emulate. There are some dead giveaways for Irem M72 to M85 games for instance.
I can only speak for the hardware I've studied in details but I'm sure someone with the time and patience could find noticeable difference for many other games.

I dont know what happened, but now I want to find out/see this challenge happen.

I still have to put a MAME rig together for you. Hoping a parts list becomes available for JAMMAizer. When it does, will send one your way my friend.

Depends what hardware you emulate. There are some dead giveaways for Irem M72 to M85 games for instance.
I can only speak for the hardware I've studied in details but I'm sure someone with the time and patience could find noticeable difference for many other games.

Oh yeah, totally. There is the infamous case of Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong records!

A lot of our arcade hobbyist friends on the forum ask me about MAME rigs; how to get going and such. It's probably just as daunting if you look at it the other way around: a MAME enthusiast getting going on real arcade hardware. I am a MAME graduate. Couldn't really get into arcades till I purchased a house (too bad I never heard of a Supergun till after I bought my house, LoLoL). I still find MAME fun and useful. Allows for play of titles until I can actually get my hands on the OG hardware. So this is a fun and interesting little challenge for me.

Back