What's new
If you could share the original 1.02 image that would be interesting @Tyson1911

Also for completeness, the contact is SCSI but the protocol is PCI.

It's weird. I tried multiple times too with both 3.17 and 4.02 and different top boards. I put the original BIOS back and both started working again, so I don't think it's my soldering.

It's weird. I tried multiple times too with both 3.17 and 4.02 and different top boards. I put the original BIOS back and both started working again, so I don't think it's my soldering.
It isn't demonstrated, but I think there is a type of dimm motherboard that can't afford those firmwares. It's a pain in the ass

Nope.

Pro-Tip: Stay away from any arcade product that is Wei-ya branded. Hope you didn't buy that. You've been warned.

It is only discussed and alluded to. Not documented anywhere.

Good deal, especially shipped.

Look at nem's answer above.

off topic... I've been using wei-ya PSUs since 1999 and during this time I've seen only 2 of it fail.

I'm going to flash a dimm this weekend. @nem is all your problem dimm board use the sharp IC? Does it black screen with no CF plug in? I don't have a CF setup but am just replacing a faulty bottom board of a netdimm

off topic... I've been using wei-ya PSUs since 1999 and during this time I've seen only 2 of it fail.

I've had Wei-ya power supply and chassis die on me by just looking at it. I am not even kidding about this.

If you could share the original 1.02 image that would be interesting @Tyson1911

Also for completeness, the contact is SCSI but the protocol is PCI.
I would love to share it but I don't have any programmer to extract the file from the chip which is a tsop56 ☹️

I'm going to flash a dimm this weekend. @nem is all your problem dimm board use the sharp IC? Does it black screen with no CF plug in? I don't have a CF setup but am just replacing a faulty bottom board of a netdimm

All of the 1.02 DIMM boards I've seen have had the Sharp IC.

It black screens without anything connected, yes.

I think it has more to do with the daughterboards than the dimms. I upgraded a dimmboard to 4.03, black screen, burned 3.17 and everything worked. Took a netdimm daughter board and put on, netbooted and installed 4.01 and everything worked. Put the non netdimm daughter board back and black screen.

I tried different daughterboards, didn't make a difference.

copy the serial memory from a working one.
i have a theory that it has an invalid setting stored in it.

I got a 1.02 dimm in hand yesterday. I program a pic for my 2.13 update disc but it won't even read the firmware revision. I know the pic is good because on my netdimm it boot up and tell me I'm on 4.02. I know the dim is good because in self test it recognize that it is a 1.02.

Is there a update disc prior to 2.13? Or did op just have to buy a netdimm when those came out?

I got a 1.02 dimm in hand yesterday. I program a pic for my 2.13 update disc but it won't even read the firmware revision. I know the pic is good because on my netdimm it boot up and tell me I'm on 4.02. I know the dim is good because in self test it recognize that it is a 1.02.

Is there a update disc prior to 2.13? Or did op just have to buy a netdimm when those came out?
I have all the three update discs but that won't works on a 1.02 dimm.
It always get errors when you try to update it

The only difference is the NetDimm has:
  1. A daughter board that allows for network access
  2. A different metal cover plate that accommodates the network jack
  3. And most NetDimm's are flashed with firmware out of OEM that is above 2.xx
Additionally, the regular DIMM requires soldering/surgery to be performed in a very procedural way to update the firmware so you can CF (Compact Flash) boot. In addition to the surgery, you need the networking daughterboard from the NetDIMM to achieve this.
  1. Remove DIMM firmware by unsoldering
  2. Flash new firmware to 3.17
  3. Install new 3.17 firmware and NetDimm daughterboard
  4. Netboot to update from 3.17 to 4.02 so that you can CF boot
The Dimm plays all the games the NetDimm plays but you need a Compact Flash reader as well (usually another $100 or you can make your own). You cannot PiBoot or NetBoot with just a regular DIMM. You must have a CF reader if you wish to switch games. The regular Dimm has the advantage in that just powering on the cab with the game you want to always play and requires no further physical switching action. Net or Pi booting a NetDimm requires games to be selected each time before they can boot. Lastly, the NetDimm has all the capabilities of the regular Dimm.
If I update a regular dimm and get the network daughter board can you then netboot with it?

Back