What's new

Lamonsoff

Beginner
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of cps1 boards, and while one is fine the other is having some display issues. The most evident is upon powering it up the background is filled with dots. The game appears to play properly which is a plus.

fkOPn7Z.jpg

I thought this may have been a rom issue, as it had a set of burnt Roms for the hyper-fighting edition. I since procured an original set of Capcom CE roms. I put them in, and the problem is still there. I also removed all socketed chips, washed and dried the board, and yet no fix.

4wpOd9a.jpg

Upon further inspection of he board someone soldered a cap across chip 10G’s pins 7 & 9. Is this original, or modded? See the first image at the top of the post.

6HywGGz.jpg

Lastly, I noticed when I coin up the Player 1 reads as qP instead of 1P and START has an ‘n’ on the end....?

So I’m thinking the problem resides on board A. From there, I need someone else’s experience to troubleshoot further. Sorry, I don’t have an identical board to pull from to test.

It doesn't need to be identical to test.

Put your other B/C board combo onto this A board and see if the problem persists.

So the problem resides on board A. With the older A board the game booted up fine, no display issues and no weird spelling issues.

Another thing I noticed was with the original 3 boards, the warning screen on boot says “...full extent of the lawN”. With an N added. There must be another modified chip on here somewhere. I tried swapping all 5 socketed ics and the problem still persists.

A boards are notorious for failures.

Hopefully someone better able to narrow down whether it's repairable or not will chime in. But I'm glad we now know it's the A board for certain.

A boards are notorious for failures.

Hopefully someone better able to narrow down whether it's repairable or not will chime in. But I'm glad we now know it's the A board for certain.
thanks for your help

thanks. It’s been sent off for repair
Only possible repair is replacing the aforementioned custom chip which can only be found on an other CPS1 A-board or CPS2 A-board.

Is it me or are we going round in circle with all those CPS1 issues lately?

I manage to get 2 cps2 a boards that where rusted beyond repair, i don't feel that bad removing the custom because i know they are useless but without a modern solution for this problem more cps2 are gonna get destroyed

Back