What's new
Look at the link in my post, that's what that is. :)

It's just a normal switching power supply, you could get one anywhere. But, they sell a cable that makes hooking it up to your supergun easy, and that I suspect you want. No offense, but you're new to this, something plug and play seems smart for you.
Ah whoops didn't see that first time. I'll snag that and see how it goes!

And in response to Plymelk, I'll take a look and see what the 60-in-1 board has that I can mess with

Hi again

I recently received two new things, an SNES controller converter, and the switching power supply. Since I've never used one of these before, I want to make sure I hook it up correctly. I assume the red and yellow cords with the 4 dots hook up to the supergun on the location in the second picture, and the 3 hooks go around the screws on the power supply? If so, I'm not entirely sure what location each hook goes in.

Attachments

• Power supply.png
    Power supply.png
    828.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Hook up question mark.png
    Hook up question mark.png
    541.6 KB · Views: 62
Hard to tell in your pictures if there are any labels above the power input on the supergun but generally black is ground, red is 5v and yellow is 12v. Back the screws out from the power supply, insert the hooks on their corresponding terminals and screw back down. You're also going to need a power cable to supply voltage to the power supply, that's what the bottom 3 terminals are for.

That cable should almost certainly have 4 wires. +5v +12v and two gnd. Look on the supergun and it should be labeled. Considering it has only three wires I’d throw it away (and would certainly not make assumptions about the wire color.) or add the missing wire if that’s within your ability.

edit: I see one red wire has a black end. Could be the gnd. Still feel like it should have another but I guess that’s a cheap supergun for you. Find the label on the pcb to be sure though.

Last edited:
The wires I got only had 3, and the input is the same one I use for the main power supply on my supergun (it only has one end). Unless there's another way to get power by plugging it into the power supply box that I'm not familiar with.

In response to ekorz, do you recommend I get another set of cords that has 4 instead of 3? If so, are there any good recommendations?

Attachments

• 20221203_180811.jpg
    20221203_180811.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221203_181049.jpg
    20221203_181049.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 50
You have the red on -5v, should be on +5v. Double check whats printed on the supergun pcb though as @ekorz is correct that colors do not necessarily mean the same thing across the board. You do not want to feed the supergun power from multiple sources, just the switching power supply. I'll upload a pic of my wiring in a second to show you what I mean.

I chopped up an old computer power cord to make the cable for the bottom 3 connections. Basically power comes from the wall to the switching power supply to the supergun and then is fed to your game board.

Attachments

• 20221203_191219.jpg
    20221203_191219.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221203_191350.jpg
    20221203_191350.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221203_191427.jpg
    20221203_191427.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 47
The pinout is probably on the bottom, look there. Then wire however it says to. My guess is there should have been two grounds. It might work if the ground wire is twice as thick as the others.

Uh, please use a cheap test pcb…

Here are two of my superguns, labeled on the bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 48
The pinout is probably on the bottom, look there. Then wire however it says to. My guess is there should have been two grounds. It might work if the ground wire is twice as thick as the others.

Uh, please use a cheap test pcb…

Here are two of my superguns, labeled on the bottom
Ahh there they are. Not on the bottom, but top. I also only have a 4 slot connection on my supergun instead of astro_zombie138's 6 (unless a converter is being used). Will there be problems if I try to run the games with only one ground wire? If so, how could I get another, because I want to make sure there's no issues before testing my $400 TNZS board.

Attachments

• Oh there they are.png
    Oh there they are.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 44
Many superguns wire -5v also for the boards that need it. And an additional +5v. Those are the two you’re missing compared to folks who have 6 pin connectors on their superguns.

Having only one ground won’t kill anything, it just may not be able to draw enough to power some boards. Wiring 12v to the 5v rail, that would kill things.

If you make sure the wires go to the appropriate psu posts, you should be fine. Having some $30 test pcb might be useful though!

You need a plug in the +5v for sure, not all game boards require -5v to be hooked up. As an example Raiden requires the -5v for audio but Raiden 2 will run without it. Never had had the -5v hooked up in my vertical cab until I got a Raiden PCB. Do not wire the +5v to the -5v, they are separate connections.

Would this be how I hook up the 3 cords then? And I need to get some wall outlet with 3 wires for the FC, AC/N, and AC/L?

Attachments

• Power.png
    Power.png
    819.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Power 2.png
    Power 2.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 51
Would this be how I hook up the 3 cords then? And I need to get some wall outlet with 3 wires for the FC, AC/N, and AC/L?
That looks correct, but I can't see the entire run of your wiring. As long as the 12v goes to 12v, the +5v goes to +5v and the GND goes to GND you should be set.
This is what you would need for the power cord, or if you're comfortable hacking up an old one laying around.
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co...-parts/8′-ac-power-line-cord-w-stripped-ends/

Great, thanks so much for all the help! I'll go ahead and order the power cord. I'm sure I could hack up an old one myself, but I'd rather play it safe right now and get one I know will work.

Also, here's a second picture showing all the wires being connected:

Attachments

• Connection.png
    Connection.png
    980.3 KB · Views: 41
Got the power cord cables today, much earlier than I expected. I assume what I need to do it is trim the tops back a bit, make a hook, then place them in the correct order (which I'm not sure what it is)

Attachments

• Wires.png
    Wires.png
    856 KB · Views: 41
Got the power cord cables today, much earlier than I expected. I assume what I need to do it is trim the tops back a bit, make a hook, then place them in the correct order (which I'm not sure what it is)

Protective groundPGgreen
NeutralNwhite
Line, single phaseLblack

Is there anything else I need before trying everything out? I once again am going to be testing with my 60-in-1 board before moving onto my other.

Power up the supergun without the game board plugged into it and adjust your voltage on the power supply to as close to 5.00 as you can. Then I think you should be good to test the 60 in 1.

Back