What's new
My eraser uses those germicidal lamps. Cheap on ebay too. My eraser is an older model but at least it doesn't need some rare bulbs.

Also an ebay find for around $80. I too used to use the Chinese eprom eraser that many have used- just didn't cut it. Keep your eye's open on ebay for these type- they are workhorses. epromb.jpeg
For anyone looking for a similarly sized unit for cheaper, here's one that closed with no bidders. Just shoot the seller a message and ask them to relist it with buy-it-now price of your choosing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292985470017

I mostly use a Logical Devices QUV-T8 (here's a working unit that's missing the power cord grommet and front knob. Maybe offer $10 :) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/322795070690). Holds a ton of chips without taking up lots of desk space.

As others have mentioned, be patient and watch ebay for good deals on professional grade units. These are well beyond their industrial heyday, so there are many good deals to be had.
-ud

Stupid question: Can you see the Uv Light of eprom ereaser in the dark?

Ok, bought an overexpensive used one, also has some kind of holes but the stay dark and i hear rattle of the 4 uv lamps .... hopefully ebay/papal will solve that, the seller says used goods are not supposed to be as good as new ones ... but he just shipped me broken shit.

well thanks for the answer!

I have had good luck with my cheapo chinese eraser. I clean the chip windows with IPA first, and give it a good 20 mins. Almost always works, but I'll still probably upgrade some day.

I have had good luck with my cheapo chinese eraser. I clean the chip windows with IPA first, and give it a good 20 mins. Almost always works, but I'll still probably upgrade some day.
I've had great luck with them too. Had the same one for over 5 years, never a problem. Recently snagged a much much larger one cheap on eBay and passed good old China off to a friend.

I literally have three 27c160’s in my window right now getting some sun lol. My cheap Chinese units bulb burnt out. Never bought another.

I literally have three 27c160’s in my window right now getting some sun lol. My cheap Chinese units bulb burnt out. Never bought another.
I'm sure it doesn't really matter but if you're using sunlight, and want to speed up the erasing, try and not have them behind glass. UVB is almost completely blocked by glass, and UVA only makes it through ~75%.

Interesting thread, had no idea those germicidal uv bulbs (non-ozone) would work (bought them for Covid room sterilization), I have a couple 36W uvc lamps. Super hazardous for humans/plants/animals, but haven't tried it for eeproms :)

Coospider UVC products - https://coospider.com/collections/uv-light

Just worth repeating, the UV-C wavelength is hazardous to humans/animals/plants. Perhaps that is why all the UV erasers hide the UV light? I have one of the cheapo chinese erasers but not sure what wavelength it runs at.

Last edited:
i got one of the 12inch germicidal units from china just to put the tube in my old pro-eraser,
it's cheaper to buy the chinese device than to buy just the tube here!!!

i will say this though - i'm not impressed by the construction/soldering of the lamp invertor in the chinese housing. :)
in my case it didnt matter - i wanted the tube, the fitting was just disected out of curiosity and then binned.

The germicidal lamps work great! Pretty much the same idea. The bulb puts out the same UV light. Difference is there is timer switch and enclosure.

Back