What's new

Yakkers

Beginner
Reaction score
I grabbed an Espgaluda conversion cart off ebay recently and I'm having some problems with it. One of two things will happen each time I reseat the cart and fire it up: Either I get a screenful of glitchy static and nothing happens, or the game will boot properly but will freeze after running for a few minutes, sometimes with error information in the corner and sometimes with no message at all. After this happens and I reboot, I get the same glitchy static that I sometimes get from the start. When it's doing this, if I wait a while and boot it again I'll get it to run for a few minutes again. Recently I haven't been able to get it to boot at all though, I always just get the glitchy static.

I've tried taking the cart apart and thoroughly cleaning the contacts, I've tried clearing the SRAM (assuming that's what the little switch in the red casing near the JAMMA connector does), I've tried plugging in the cart's PCBs alone without the cart, I've tried factory resetting my PGM, I've made sure my cabinet's voltage is correct, I've made sure all the dip switches are off, and I know my PGM motherboard is working because I also have a DOJ cart that still works fine. Is there anything else I can try here, or did I probably just get a bad cart? The cart's PCBs look like a bit of a hack job but I didn't see any disconnected wires or anything.

Here's an image dump:
Crash error dump
Glitchy static
Front of top PCB
Front of bottom PCB
Back of bottom PCB

Thanks so much for any information. This forum seemed to be the place with the most knowledge and information about PGM conversions.

This is why its best to buy a Cave cart with "Fluffys" PCBs inside! Theses "Conversions" are just Rubbish! I think i'm the only one selling Fluffys carts as a complete unit. But if your handy with electronics.. you can buy Flyffys PCBs and make your own carts.

Fluffy knows the most about how the carts operate... so he is your best bet for help. Not sure if you have seen my website or not. But i provide alot of support as well.

Tim.

The conversion carts in my collection (along with many other users on this forum) are just fine.

Fluffy’s boards are mega awesome too, but for the most part the conversions out there now are fine. The OG Joerg (arcademodbios) ones are no good and there was a small period where they weren’t being done with the correct voltages out of China, but those days are long gone — the ones @sheep_nova sells now are definitely legit (confirmed by multiple sources). My set were made by @oneleaf86 and use the original PGM boards and I haven’t had any issues.

It’s important not to spread blanket misinformation and cause panic out there. Seen it happen too many times before…

Last edited:
I grabbed an Espgaluda conversion cart off ebay recently and I'm having some problems with it. One of two things will happen each time I reseat the cart and fire it up: Either I get a screenful of glitchy static and nothing happens, or the game will boot properly but will freeze after running for a few minutes, sometimes with error information in the corner and sometimes with no message at all. After this happens and I reboot, I get the same glitchy static that I sometimes get from the start. When it's doing this, if I wait a while and boot it again I'll get it to run for a few minutes again. Recently I haven't been able to get it to boot at all though, I always just get the glitchy static.

I've tried taking the cart apart and thoroughly cleaning the contacts, I've tried clearing the SRAM (assuming that's what the little switch in the red casing near the JAMMA connector does), I've tried plugging in the cart's PCBs alone without the cart, I've tried factory resetting my PGM, I've made sure my cabinet's voltage is correct, I've made sure all the dip switches are off, and I know my PGM motherboard is working because I also have a DOJ cart that still works fine. Is there anything else I can try here, or did I probably just get a bad cart? The cart's PCBs look like a bit of a hack job but I didn't see any disconnected wires or anything.

Here's an image dump:
Crash error dump
Glitchy static
Front of top PCB
Front of bottom PCB
Back of bottom PCB

Thanks so much for any information. This forum seemed to be the place with the most knowledge and information about PGM conversions.

Try bump your 5v to 5.1v. The Crash error dump I have seen mentioned a few times before and it ended up being bad RAM on the motherboard. I have had this issue too a long time ago and just replaced the motherboard and things are fine now. I think @Flinnster might have struggled with this before?

I can’t really see the photos of your boards clear on my phone but it looks like there’s a lot of leftover flux, it might be worth cleaning that up with some isopropyl and checking for any cut traces, etc. also be worthwhile reseating the EPROM while you’re in there and cleaning the cart edges with the board out it’s case.

If you have access to another PGM motherboard it would help to isolate if it’s the cart or the motherboard at the cause of your issues. If the issue is indeed the cart, hopefully the seller can replace/refund.

Last edited:
It’s important not to spread blanket misinformation and cause panic out there. Seen it happen too many times before…

So running 3.3V Chips with 5V I/O is TOTAL fine is it?? Last time I checked this was "FACT", NOT "Misinformation".. But hey i'm ONLY an Electronic Engineer.. So what would i know??

I have had MANY customers with "Conversion carts" that have gone faulty and needed repair... These "Conversions" are not even close to "Perfect"!

Tim.

No. It’s not fine. However for many years when AMB cornered the market with the carts it was what it was and I owned those and had no issues FWIW.

The carts now are made with the proper voltages these days from the usual vendors on eBay since the issue was made public knowledge a long time ago.

It’s not really about your “customers”. I was just correcting you when you said “conversions are rubbish” when they’re not all the same. Sure, there was a bad batch out there a long time ago but it’s important not to write off others with false info in hopes to peddle more of your own.

Last edited:
The cart above with pictures "IS" the type I am talking about! It runs 3.3V chips with 5V I/O. Other than "Fluffys" PCBs, there are NO "Conversions" out there that use the proper 3.3V to 5V buffer chips.

Tim.

Another bullshit statement with aims to cause fearmongering.

My carts are just fine. And they’re conversions. I’ve put in 100’s of hours of play into mine with no issues. Last thing we need is people getting worried and selling off their perfectly working conversions.

67DE5326-3D04-4796-8B5F-185D1C2800D0.jpeg

0CB6ADFC-9C33-411A-9A80-7001B8901340.jpeg

0605A57E-65BD-4347-8A29-7BD076966726.jpeg

Last edited:
Your Cart / Pictures above STILL has 3.3V chips running with 5V I/O! There are NO proper 3.3V to 5V converters on your PCBs!

Can you post pictures of "Conversions" that have the added 3.3V to 5V Buffer chips??

Tim.

Your Cart / Pictures above STILL has 3.3V chips running with 5V I/O! There are NO proper 3.3V to 5V converters on your PCBs!

Can you post pictures of "Conversions" that have the added 3.3V to 5V Buffer chips??

Tim.
5C7A9B7F-878E-4041-A3DF-1030A79E338D.jpeg

Trust me. It’s fine. I’m done wasting my time debating with you mate.

Last edited:
Thats a 3.3V "REGULATOR"!! NOT a 3.3V to 5V I/O "BUFFER / LOGIC LEVEL CONVERTER"!!

Thats STILL running 3.3V Chips with 5V I/O. FACT!!!

Tim.

FWIW I have several of these conversions including several I have made myself using the original PGM PCBs and regulators and they work flawlessly.

I also have a set of the Fluffy PCBs and they are extremely well made, but I have built 2 and neither works. The 2 Espgaludas I have made have the exact same issues as @Yakkers

No issues with the three fluffy boards I have here.

Looks like some pretty questionable modwork on the OP's board though. Fine if you do that to your own board but man, if you're selling that then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Who was the eBay seller and how much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

Easynow fellas, how long has this punch up being going on? :thumbsup:

Er.... I have just the one DDP-DOJ-BL cart that has glitchy lines in the background tiles and some of the logos. We think this was due to hairthin kynar and dodgy soldering to the VCC power pins on the replaced ROMs, which admittedly I've still done bugger all / swfa with.

I planned to upgrade it to thicker wiring, plus the cart did indeed have a 3.3v voltage regulator that wasn't being used at all as part of the conversion, so I was going to wire that in rather than it having the usual the dual diodes arrangement at one end. But you know.. zero spare time and all that :depressed:

So from my side no confirmed badness from my other carts so far, to the point where I've not even gone nosing around inside them to see just how clean or dirty the conversions are.
But yeah, I do hope to 'fix' this conversion at some point.

From what I can see on the Espgaluda cart up there, the top pcb looks pretty grotty yeah. Who knows whats lurking under all that non-cleaned-up flux too. I wonder if the surface mount ROMs are not actually well that soldered to be honest. The power wires are at least reasonable thickness, but who needs to strip wire when you can just burn off the insulation and melt it over half the chips.. joy :S

The only way you'll be certain on that cart is to try it on someone elses cab / mobo and see what it does.

Last edited:
Oh, as for the power note.. at the Jamma edge (voltmetered) I tend not to slavishly adjust my switcher depending on what PCB is plugged in.
What this means is that I'm usually running larger, older boards at around 5v, but this will be higher.. creeping up to 5.2v / 5.25v for newer, smaller hardware.
I've honestly had no issues with that, so if you want to try blasting a little bit more juice at the PGM mobo, I'm sure you are safe to do so, at least to eliminate that as the issue.

OP, first take some isopropyl alcohol and some Q Tips and carefully clean off all that leftover flux. Then, if you have a multimeter, set it to Continuity and check the connections everywhere there's a jumper wire. From the look of them, it's very likely that a loose connection on a jumper wire, or a poor connection on a SMD pad is causing your problems. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, you could also touch-up the jumper wire connections.

The problems you're encountering are with the PROG board (bottom board). The glitchy screen will happen if the program doesn't load, for whatever reason, and the crash is obviously if something happens while the program is running. Looks like they're doing some hokey stuff to power the Text ROM on there instead of taking 3.3V from a voltage reg.

I would suggest fixing the voltage and doublechecking the existing soldering of the Text ROM and also check those patch wires on the bottom of the PROG board.

Back