What's new

winteriscoming

Champion
Reaction score
Are the filterboard DIP options for video modes documented anywhere for these each of these systems?

I notice that on my OR2SP VGA CRT monitor that the Chihiro comes through with a larger image than my NAOMI 2. So if I adjust the monitor to fit the Chihiro image, the NAOMI 2 comes on with black surrounding it and the monitor needs to be adjusted to stretch the image to fit. This isn't a very fun thing to manage for multiple systems in one cabinet.

I also had something set on the Triforce to where it was behaving more like the NAOMI 2 with a slightly smaller overall image than the Chihiro, but I played around with the DIPs and got it to fill the screen the same as the Chihiro. I'm not sure what all I'm changing, though. :P

NAOMI 1/2 are simple:
Dip 1: On = 15KHz, Off = 31KHz

naomi_15k_31k_resolution_dip_switch_settings.gif

AFAIK Dips 2 3 and 4 aren't used unless you're running a Multi-BIOS, or one of the AMB game switcher BIOSes.

I know you didn't ask but Lindbergh's DIPs are documented here:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Lindbergh#Dip_Switches

Triforce:
Dip 1: Not Used
Dip 2: Not Used
Dip 3: Not Used
Dip 4: On = Vertical, Off = Horizontal
Dip 5: On = C-Sync, Off = H,V Sync
Dip 6: On = 31KHz, Off = 15KHz

Chihiro:
Dip 1: On = Vertical, Off = Horizontal
Dip 2: ?
Dip 3: ?
Dip 4: ?
Dip 5: ?
Dip 6: ?
Dip 7: ?
Dip 8:?

I've never seen a good explanation for the Chihiro dips but most service manuals just give you what they should be set to for the game without any explanation: off, off, on, on, off, on, on, on
chihiro_dips.png

Attachments

• chihiro_dips.png
    chihiro_dips.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,106
I just did a screen grab of the Resolution dips for Lindbergh. It's a bit cleaner than the AO wiki chart.
lindbergh_dips.png

by default the Lindbergh ships with 1-7 Off and 8 On
Dip 1: Game specific (leave OFF)
Dip 2: Game specific (leave OFF)
Dip 3: On = Vertical, Off = Horiztonal
Dip 4: On = 16:9, Off = 4:3
Dip 5: Resolution (see chart)
Dip 6: Resolution (see chart)
Dip 7: Game specific (leave OFF)
Dip 8: Game specific (leave ON)

I actually played around with these and the multi and for the most part setting the resolution via dips is worthless.

Most of the time the setting was ignored and the game played at it's desired resolution.
some games would work at 640x480 when set, and then go up to whatever their desired "HD" resolution was for any other dip setting.
Some games were really weird where the 3D graphics would render in HD but the sprites wouldn't scale, and this behavior would change from scene to scene. I seem to remember HOTD4 and LA Riders being the worst offenders.
Rambo, I think was the only game that actually properly supported more than 2 resolutions and rendered according to the dips.

Last edited:
Are the filterboard DIP options for video modes documented anywhere for these each of these systems?

I notice that on my OR2SP VGA CRT monitor that the Chihiro comes through with a larger image than my NAOMI 2. So if I adjust the monitor to fit the Chihiro image, the NAOMI 2 comes on with black surrounding it and the monitor needs to be adjusted to stretch the image to fit. This isn't a very fun thing to manage for multiple systems in one cabinet.

I also had something set on the Triforce to where it was behaving more like the NAOMI 2 with a slightly smaller overall image than the Chihiro, but I played around with the DIPs and got it to fill the screen the same as the Chihiro. I'm not sure what all I'm changing, though. :P
What did you find for the DIP settings of the Triforce to get it to fill the screen in the same way as the Chihiro? I have also noticed this and frustrated the Triforce doesn't fill the entire screen like the Chihiro. Curious what you found with the DIP settings to resolve this. My Naomi 2 seems to fill the screen fine compared to the Chihiro in my setup - the Triforce was the one I noticed with a smaller screen.

I know I have asked previously for the DIP settings on the Chihiro that would allow for 15 kHz and they are not to be found anywhere - perhaps the Chihiro doesn't support CGA (15 kHz)? I had always thought it did, but perhaps that is not the case. Curious if anyone has it running in 15 kHz and can share the DIP settings as it is not documented anywhere that anyone has found as Twistedsymphony stated earlier and only the "standard" settings are shown with no explanation of what they represent.

Someone with a working Chihiro could probably figure out what they do, just change them one at a time and see what happens.

Given the TriForce settings I'd suspect one of them is for C-sync/HV-sync, and it's possible one of them is for 15K. the Xbox certainly supported 480i, so I don't see much reason the Chihiro should be able to.

I wish I could run chihiro at widescreen resolutions... but nope. I also screwed around with my Lindbergh HOTD4 yesterday and it won't load in any other resolution than 640x480. Not even 800x480. I hear there is a hack or unsupported patch that will allow widescreen resolutions... but I dunno.

HOTD4 should support a higher resolution mode, it shipped with a widescreen LCD cab option from the factory:
5.jpg

According to the service manual you should be running it in 1280x768
4,5 and 8 ON everything else off

HOTD4 should support a higher resolution mode, it shipped with a widescreen LCD cab option from the factory:
5.jpg

According to the service manual you should be running it in 1280x768
4,5 and 8 ON everything else off
I'll give it a try... i thought i tried them all but maybe i missed one. I also though I read that widescreen resolutions used the DVI to HDMI... not the VGA port... but again, perhaps I'm wrong. I'll give it a try...

I'll give it a try... i thought i tried them all but maybe i missed one. I also though I read that widescreen resolutions used the DVI to HDMI... not the VGA port... but again, perhaps I'm wrong. I'll give it a try...
That's wrong. Lindbergh will run just fine in widescreen through the VGA port.

I also though I read that widescreen resolutions used the DVI to HDMI... not the VGA port...
I don't believe so. the lower port is the primary output and the higher port is the secondary output.

All games should output the main screen on the primary port, some duplicate the output to the secondary port. there are a few games that use a second screen (like Primevil Hunt) and the output for the second screen is pushed through the secondary port.

I say "lower" and "higher" because some Lindbergh models have a different video card with a DVI as the primary port and VGA as the secondary.

FWIW: If yours has VGA as the lower/primary port then you've got the better of the available video cards.

Welp... that did it. What is odd is that I don't notice a difference. I wonder if at 640x480 it was auto detecting or something as I didn't notice any noticeable stretching at 640x480 and I'm pretty keen on such things.

Thanks though!

BTW... my box has had DIP 8 off the whole time and no issues... but I kicked it to ON because it seems that is what it's supposed to be. I wonder what DIP 8 does...

BTW... my box has had DIP 8 off the whole time and no issues... but I kicked it to ON because it seems that is what it's supposed to be. I wonder what DIP 8 does...
I have no idea what it does, every manual I've seen has recommended leaving it on, but running through the games in the multi it never seemed to do anything to any of the games (nothing I noticed anyway)

I use one of my Lindberghs with VGA on HD wide monitor, no problem.
Primeval Hunt use the 2 video outputs since it uses 2 screens.

For dipswitches, I don't know, I only use as written in manual and choose resolution depending on which cabinet I use.

Back