What's new

caius

Grand Master
Reaction score
Recently I made a reproduction of the Fujitsu 'MB112S146'.As far as I know this custom IC is used on few Taito arcade PCBs like Arkanoid (which uses two of them), Legend of Kage and Wyvern F-0.It's a DIP28 .600mil chip having the main function of graphics shifter :

MB112S146_original.jpg

Actually we already have a working replacement of the Fujitsu 'MB112S146' designed by 'Porchy' from JAMMArcade, time ago he successfully recreated and implemented the functions of this IC into a CPLD :

Taito MB112S146 custom reproduction

As for me, I reproduced it in a 'poor' way using simple TTL gates instead of programmable logic devices :

MB112S146_repro_mod.jpg

Testing was successful on my Arkanoid PCB :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU35yuI1OOA

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
I much prefer your TTL approach if the circuit is simple enough. Because in 20 years from now we're going to need repros of the CPLD repros...

caius

Grand Master
Reaction score
I much prefer your TTL approach if the circuit is simple enough.

Yes, i think there is no need of programmable logic devices for these small designs, they would be a waste.

Because in 20 years from now we're going to need repros of the CPLD repros...

Hopefuly TTLs will be still available, I can see some manufacturers have stopped their production.But this is a problem for next generations of arcade enthusiasts :)

Apocalypse

Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Hopefuly TTLs will be still available, I can see some manufacturers have stopped their production.But this is a problem for next generations of arcade enthusiasts :)
I'm not too worried, there are still several dozens of manufacturers making TTL chips. And given their extremely high popularity and longevity I think we should be good for the next 30 years. Then as you said the challenge will be in the hands of the next generation.