What's new

reclaimer

Professional
Reaction score
Recently set up my CPS2 multi championship edition, including the key writing cable into the connector on my board.

Games load and play great!

When I power off the cabinet, next time I power on its just a blank colored screen. I need to re-flash the game to start it.

Is this correct? My Taito F3 multi kit seems to hold onto the last flashed game, so I can just power on and play.

Thanks for the help! Loving the kit.

I don’t remember having that behaviour. The game is flashed until I choose another game

That was my assumption.

I wanted to check here first before starting to poke at firmware, maybe different roms, who knows what.

I can play games right now and don’t want to jinx it. :)

Bumping this. I have the same issue. Certain games will come back up every time, but most never do and need reflashing.

Would love for either @Mitsurugi-w or @Darksoft to chime in on this subject. Every time I initially power up my multi it just freezes at the rom loading screen. I then have to reflash to get it to boot. After that it runs flawless. I posted about this before and was told it was a voltage issue. However, I don't think that's the case because I've tried the multi on different set ups and have always had this problem. I'd really like to have a solution because it's really annoying to have to reflash after every cold boot.

It sounds like maybe an SD card issue. Like it's not reading what encryption key should be loaded.

Mine does this too. I have it in a dynamo cab with the lcd selector right by the coin door so I just got in the habit of picking game when I turn the cab on, and same deal, after that it works fine. I'll try a new SD card..

It sounds like maybe an SD card issue. Like it's not reading what encryption key should be loaded.
Does the multi re-write the encryption key after a power cycle? I thought it was only written when flashing a game.

The OP's issue sounds like the encryption key is forgotten when power is cut. Which makes sense if they removed the battery or it is dead.

Does the multi re-write the encryption key after a power cycle? I thought it was only written when flashing a game.

The OP's issue sounds like the encryption key is forgotten when power is cut. Which makes sense if they removed the battery or it is dead.
Makes sense to me. Does anyone have a multi that boots up the previous game every time? If yes, do you have a battery installed?

It doesn't have to be removed but it is recommended so you don't have to worry about leaks.

Yeah the key is pushed on every power up. That's why it sounds like the multi is having trouble reading the needed key on boot.

It doesn't have to be removed but it is recommended so you don't have to worry about leaks.

Yeah the key is pushed on every power up. That's why it sounds like the multi is having trouble reading the needed key on boot.
Tried a different SD card (different brand and size) and the issue persists. So you're thinking the only other option to potentially solve the issue is to reinstall a battery? I'm thinking, for me (which is different from the OP), the issue isn't key writing because the game does boot, it just hangs at the rom check screen until I either reflash that game or load a different game, then it works fine.

Last edited:
Bumping this. Has anyone had success reinstalling a battery to resolve the issue? Or something else?

EDIT: looks like the previous game will boot, but only after 2-3 power cycles, depending on the game. Still not ideal, but better than re-flashing. Can anyone confirm on their setup?

Last edited:
I never found a solution unfortunately. Reflashing after each boot is the only way to play games for me.

I confirmed it was the same on a second unit a friend has. Neither of us has ever seen one of these Multis actually boot up a game without needing to reflash it after a power cycle.

Update: after watching this guy use a DS CPS2 to de-suicide another battery board, I thought why not add a new battery to mine to try to fix this issue? Well, it worked! In the last 2 days, games that have been idle for 4-8 hours that previously would blue screen have booted right back up. I've flashed 3 different problematic games so far and they all worked. I'm not sure if this fix works with all revs of the kit, but it works with mine, which I think the 2nd version, first MAME-rom compatible version.

Then this verifies something is not working right with the key writing wires.

What revision B-board are you using again?

Then this verifies something is not working right with the key writing wires.

What revision B-board are you using again?
Not sure. I have it all buttoned up inside my cab and would rather not pull it again. I'm not sure how the key writing wires could be incorrect since the wires need to be correct when flashing a game initially, right?

Last edited:
Well I was thinking of you had a revision 3 or 4 pcb there is usually a resistor mod added that helps maintain the key.

Well I was thinking of you had a revision 3 or 4 pcb there is usually a resistor mod added that helps maintain the key.
Pretty sure it's a PAL-G (maybe F) board? Can you provide a link to documentation on the mod?

Looks like I spoke too soon. The battery fix isn't working anymore. Not sure why. I'll test the battery this weekend to see if it drained somehow and I'll post pics of my key writing wires.

Back