What's new

darkchao

Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've had a very strange and scattered background with arcade stuff since I was growing up, was sort of born into the industry. I don't wanna sound like a horn tooter so i'll cut to it: In 2011 I formed a company called Save Point - it was initially a last-ditch effort for myself due to a non-paying development studio. We opened the store in September with the contents of my bedroom as a combination buy/sell/trade game store and arcade. The company is much larger now, and something we're all really proud of. We've got a massive collection (~170 pieces) of SEGA arcades, music games, and pinballs. We take machines all across the USA to different events for people to enjoy, and the other portions of the business have allowed me to grow an arcade collection that is really crazy (multiple DDR SOLO cabs, linked Ollie Kings, freaking Planet Harriers).

Sometimes I feel really crazy for opening up Save Point. It's not a thing that generates a ton of money, and it's definitely a bunch of hobbies spiraling out of control. I'm sitting here writing this while fixing a Williams System 6 MPU and an FDS console, but there's people on this forum that are attempting to do things like inject the english DC GD-ROM version of Typing Of The Dead into the NAOMI cart dump and then turn it into a .BIN to get netboot'd, just for one example, but tons of other things that I've thought "holy crap, this should exist!" - and then promptly dropped.

The reason I'm telling you guys about our collection of games isn't to dickwag - we're sitting on a lot of rare (and broken) stuff. I want that stuff to not sit and rot, and if there's anything I can provide to help out a project, I'm more than happy to. I don't know how many people are local, but hopefully Save Point can also serve as a test bed for projects that users have here in the future.

I don't do forums. I don't do anything public usually. You guys seem awesome, and I'm happy to be a part of this community that I didn't know was so lively.

So, cheers! Thanks for making me feel less crazy, I'm hoping to contribute what I can to anyone that needs help, and I'm excited to learn new things about the machines that are so dear to me.

( =①ω①=) hello!!

Is you have parts for a Capcom Big blue Gen 1 cabinet, I'll happily buy some. Or if you have a big blue, I want it too.

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind words about our forums. We are really proud of some of the projects that are being done by our members here (ID save card emulation for example). We are also proud that some of the really smart people in this hobby have decided to make this one of their homes. I've said it before, there are French arcade forums that are just full of cool info. It's kind of a little secret because the French translators in the browsers are total ass. But some of those people have made this their second home as well.

We also have members of other sites that are drama cesspits that badmouth these forums yet lurk every chance they can get. I think one mod called us "just an average satellite site". Well I think I can say we are more than that and we keep growing every day. One of our motos is No Drama. We take that very seriously so we can keep the experience here fun and informative for arcade hobbyists of every level, noob to vet. We try our best to help newbies with every little question. Shit, the way I see it, if the necessary info was so easy to find online they would have found it already correct? So lets put it up here to help people from now on.

This site does skew a lot towards newer systems. And I personally have a soft spot for older games and pinballs. We will never try to replace some of those great sites like KLOV for info of the classics but we do serve a Niche within the arcade community and I think we do it well while not being elitist assholes to everybody else.

Enjoy your stay! Hope we speak in the future about some of Darksoft and my projects!

Welcome!

Hope to see you around. If I'm ever out to Maryland I will most definitely check you out.

I'm one of the newbs that Mitsurugi-w speaks of and I can already say these forums are awesome.

-Freeze

Thank you for sharing your background and welcome to the forum. This is a great forum and you will find that people are always willing to help. I am not technical at all and always PM Mitsu to build me X or PM JNX to build Y and there is RGB with his HAS supergun:)

Welcome darkchao!

I really hope you enjoy your time here with us. Have fun!

Back