What's new

TheCott

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey there! Appreciate anyone taking a look at this as I'm not super clear if I'm posting in the right thread. Making an educated guess since Groove Coaster appears to use a Taito Type X system/splash screen but of course I could be mistaken.

I recently came into ownership of a Groove Coaster/Rhythmvaders 4 cabinet and have been having a blast taking it apart and seeing how it works. Really stunned to see just how simple it all seems to be, however also a little annoyed to find that because I'm just a one-off owner that a number of songs/modes are locked off to me. I believe it comes down to the NESICA connection/system built into the game. Since I can't get on Taito's network, I can't use the card system and thus can't keep progress or unlock songs/modes through playing the game. All that said, my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any work around for connecting to the network so that I can just get a card and use it like a normal/legit player? Only bright idea I tried was linking the cabinet to a PC which was connected to a VPN in Japan, however that did not work lol. Based on some reading I've done it doesn't seem like I can mimic the connection as Taito is looking for very specific static IPs, but hey, it was worth a shot.

2) Are there any means to unlock the songs/modes that are gated to me? Something to spoof the progression the system so that I can have everything opened up? I did find a user here from the UK that seemed to manage it through a few hacks, but he didn't leave any methods or tips and sadly doesn't appear to have been active for about 3 years now. (I still dropped him a line in case he happens to get a notice from here, fingers crossed!)

3) Does a repository somewhere have a copy/image of the Hard Drive for this game? Main reason I ask about this is data protection since the game runs off a simple 2.5" laptop hard drive that obviously won't last forever, so was really hoping to make a copy or create a backup drive (or 3) to ensure if anything conks out I can just swap in a new drive. I did look into cloning the existing drive from the system, however based on a few horror stories it seems that the file system is not common enough to work with most cloning software and you're more likely to brick the hard drive you're trying to preserve.

Any thoughts or ideas the community might have are certainly welcome. If it isn't obvious this is the first machine I've actually pulled the trigger on purchasing, so just doing whatever I can to protect/make the most of the investment. Thanks again!

3) the game is locked to the hard drive. Basic cloning is useless.

3) the game is locked to the hard drive. Basic cloning is useless.
Well, that's unfortunate. Kinda sounds like whenever this little hard drive conks out my machine is just going to be a very heavy television >>

Hey there! Appreciate anyone taking a look at this as I'm not super clear if I'm posting in the right thread. Making an educated guess since Groove Coaster appears to use a Taito Type X system/splash screen but of course I could be mistaken.

I recently came into ownership of a Groove Coaster/Rhythmvaders 4 cabinet and have been having a blast taking it apart and seeing how it works. Really stunned to see just how simple it all seems to be, however also a little annoyed to find that because I'm just a one-off owner that a number of songs/modes are locked off to me. I believe it comes down to the NESICA connection/system built into the game. Since I can't get on Taito's network, I can't use the card system and thus can't keep progress or unlock songs/modes through playing the game. All that said, my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any work around for connecting to the network so that I can just get a card and use it like a normal/legit player? Only bright idea I tried was linking the cabinet to a PC which was connected to a VPN in Japan, however that did not work lol. Based on some reading I've done it doesn't seem like I can mimic the connection as Taito is looking for very specific static IPs, but hey, it was worth a shot.

2) Are there any means to unlock the songs/modes that are gated to me? Something to spoof the progression the system so that I can have everything opened up? I did find a user here from the UK that seemed to manage it through a few hacks, but he didn't leave any methods or tips and sadly doesn't appear to have been active for about 3 years now. (I still dropped him a line in case he happens to get a notice from here, fingers crossed!)

3) Does a repository somewhere have a copy/image of the Hard Drive for this game? Main reason I ask about this is data protection since the game runs off a simple 2.5" laptop hard drive that obviously won't last forever, so was really hoping to make a copy or create a backup drive (or 3) to ensure if anything conks out I can just swap in a new drive. I did look into cloning the existing drive from the system, however based on a few horror stories it seems that the file system is not common enough to work with most cloning software and you're more likely to brick the hard drive you're trying to preserve.

Any thoughts or ideas the community might have are certainly welcome. If it isn't obvious this is the first machine I've actually pulled the trigger on purchasing, so just doing whatever I can to protect/make the most of the investment. Thanks again!
It's TypeX 0.

There are folks around that can update the game over the network off of personal update servers (had it done on mine a few years back), and a couple who can unlock things for you. I'm sure they'll pop up in their own time.

It's just the same basic ATA locking that you'll find on an X360, the TTX1/2/3, etc. Getting data off of it is not a problem at all, you can just wait for it to boot fully, yank the SATA cable and read it with another machine. Not all of it is unencrypted, but some is.

Making copies is more tricky as you'd need to lock the new drive the same as the original (and I think spoof the serial?). IIRC they're paired to the motherboard, so you can't just grab a different HDD off of YAJ or something if yours dies, you need to replace the entire unit. In any case, I don't think that info is public anywhere (unlike RE2/TTX3/etc), so you'd just have to have the right tools/experience to deal with ATA locked HDD's that you don't know the lock info for.

Sold mine a while ago, so things may have changed, but you'd probably have more luck on the forbidden forum.

The game image is tied to the hard drive, it isn't just a simple ATA lock.
So spoofing the serial (assuming you're using the same model drive) should work just fine.

So spoofing the serial (assuming you're using the same model drive) should work just fine.
I guess my follow up question is 'should work fine' is a theoretical statement or something someone has tried/has a process to do? I would be more than happy to track down an exact model matched hard drive for the cabinet, but I would need a bit of hand holding once I acquired it to actually 'spoof the serial' and create a backup/copy of my operating drive.

I would need a bit of hand holding once I acquired it to actually 'spoof the serial' and create a backup/copy of my operating drive.
Honestly we've gone past what's allowed to be chatted about on this site already. You should probably either poke at the rhythm game forum that pretends it doesn't exist, or emuline.

Back