What's new

leadedsolder

Beginner
Reaction score
I've been lurking for awhile, but I think it's worth making an introduction post now.

I'm from Western Canada (AB) and I'm just teetering on the precipice of full-blown arcade collecting. I have a Neo Geo MVS 1-slot in a homemade cabinet that I got from a friend when he had to move, and that was fine for many years. Unfortunately, I also wanted to play the arcade Bonanza Bros again which means that I've made things hard for myself.

Other than the Neo 1-slot, in the last year I've collected:
  • five System 24 motherboards of unknown condition;
  • a System C2 Columns;
  • the mandatory Dottori-kun PCB;
  • an ST-V with a few cartridges;
  • and a really sketchy bootleg Arkanoid that I probably got scammed on.
I love Sega a lot, but sometimes Sega doesn't love me back.

Obviously, the big deal for me is the System 24 stuff. The plan for the System 24 board stack is to build or find the ROM board and floppy board and get at least one working one out of the set. So far, I've found the schematics for Hot Rod and copied them into a new PCB and ordered the parts (a rough early version is pictured below.) I'm not having any luck finding the AMP 60-pin stacking connector or even a part number, however, so I might have to get creative.

rough-system24-board-knockoff-1.png

I will probably end up running these on a supergun until I win the lottery and my Aero Table dreams become reality. Due to the current shipping crisis, the motherboard PCBs only just now arrived at my house so I am busy taking measurements for mounting holes, etc. I'll also have to build/find a ROM board and/or patch the original Bonanza Bros ROMs to remove the magic latch.

For the ST-V, it was a former Photo Club board, and didn't come with the 839-0724 "bus terminator" so I made one of those. Please let me know if you would like one, as I think I have four left if I can remember where they went. I also haven't tested it or the board (which came loose in a too-big cardboard box, wrapped in the sports section from an Italian eBay seller who has sold hundreds of PCBs and should really know better.)

I'm going to try and run the Arkanoid off a fake-Omron rotary encoder and borrow my buddy's lathe to run off a spinner knob. It also has an "I.O. Error" that I suspect is related to whatever they did to knock off the original board's coin chute hybrid.

Everything is untested because I am just now (slowly) building a supergun to test things with. I'm working from the 9-pin Mini-DIN "Minigun," which has been a lot of fun to assemble when the parts come in stock. Why don't I test the games using the Neo cab, which presumably is JAMMA? Good question.

So lots of projects ahead of me. I run a small weblog where I keep track of old computer and game console repairs; this month I'm writing up a three-article series about an X68000 PRO that was pulled out of floodwaters with an insect infestation on top of that.

Hope you all have a great day.

Welcome fellow Canadian!

What's your blog? I'm always a fan of some good console repairs :D

Awesome page!

Never thought I'd see someone else crazy enough to want to salvage a Supervision aside from myself D:
It’s a really sketchy machine. I think there is big potential in cloning it, although most of the games I have tried are shovelware.

Back