What's new

hatmoose

Champion
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm Matt - long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I'm based in New Zealand and enjoy collecting Sega Saturn games, restoring vintage televisions, and building electronics projects

I'm just about to start work on some Minigun superguns, cant wait to see what Frank_FJS does next with the Microgun

Hi Matt and welcome mate!

Have we ever met before?
Probably, New Zealand is a village :) I'm based in Auckland and go to most of the vintage arcade/console meetups and events. Also active on Facebook NZ retrogamers and NZ Vintage computing. Will PM ya

First mock-up looks OKish for fit. I used crazydarts case from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4629721

I'm not super happy with the edge connector being 1.5mm inset from the edge of the case but we'll see how the rest of the build goes..

Boards are coming from Evilsim and parts from Digikey. As soon as everything arrives I'll solder 'er up and post to the Minigun thread. This will be my first outing with the hot air gun, so I ordered 3 of everything :)

IMG_4924.jpeg

Howdy from Texas!

You live in a gorgeous country! I had the pleasure of going there to visit customers and do some reseller training several years back. Tried to meet up with the gentleman that did the Bender Beer Brewer project as he bought the replacement chips from my site, but alas, we couldn't make the schedules mesh. The account teams screwed up my itinerary and I ended up having to spend a 3 day weekend in NZ on the company dime... :D

Cape Reinga is amazing and so is the primeval forest you have in the mountains of the north island! The road up there through the middle is so twisty it makes our Tail of the Dragon feel like a straight line road.

One day I'll get back there and eat some more at the Genzui Ramen Bar.

Cape Reinga is amazing and so is the primeval forest you have in the mountains of the north island! The road up there through the middle is so twisty it makes our Tail of the Dragon feel like a straight line road.

Have you met the Father of the Forest?
Te Matua Ngahere - Wikipedia
Probably as old (or even older) than Jesus!

There's so many things to see in NZ if you like nature/being outside.
South Island is even crazier (Moreaki boulders, Mount Cook, Franz-Josef Glacier, Mildford Sound, etc.).

This will be my first outing with the hot air gun
You only need tiny blobs of solder paste :) Especially on the THS7473 or you bridge pins easily (but can clean up easily with a clean iron tip or desolder braid).

I found that if I am hot air gunning a PCB on a flat surface, it passes a lot of heat to the thing below it (i use a ceramic tile usually), but if you simply put some toothpicks under the PCB, it helps to heat the PCB faster and not the thing underneath it. I just have a pretty basic 858D hot air station, but it goes just fine! I think you will end up with 3 working boards :D. If you see smoke coming from the area you are heating, you are heating way too much!

Back