What's new

fatherpain

Professional
Reaction score
IMG_8709.JPG

Hello, my name is Tom and I live in Fullerton, CA. Started collecting in 2004 until around 2012 then my OCD priorities shifted towards a new job, managing our boys' club soccer teams and volunteering to help the organization and the families it served as an unpaid board member for about 4 years. Though not an aspiration, eventually became the club president (also unpaid) and served in that capacity for about 1.5 years. Between all this nonsense, there wasn't much time for anything else, so the games languished and sat neglected since 2012. Here is my garage as of 4-18-21.

UZUR3280.JPG

For the past couple years, I've no longer been associated with soccer in any type of role, beyond just being a parent (thankfully, heh), and while my job still requires long hours, I had a little bit of free time again so got into car modification and driving at the track.

IMG_8751.JPG

A couple months ago, my wife got on my case for abandoning my previous hobby: Arcade games and gave an ultimatum to either get rid of them or get it going again...So chose the latter :)

Before real life intruded, had a goal of having a game room in the garage, so set about clearing it out. Took a week off work to focus just on cleaning and organizing.

IMG_8797.JPG

Pulled the games out for a thorough clean and assessment. Found about 35% are non working or have issues *sigh*. However they used to all work and I am confident they will all eventually work again someday :)

IMG_9143.JPG

Picked up one of these old style letter boards from Wayfair to keep track of high scores... But thought it may be better used to keep track of what's on tap. The (4) columns above are dedicated machines. The columns below are bare PCBs and Neo Geo Carts that are playable in (3) candy cabs that aren't listed.

IMG_9255.JPG

It took about a month and a half of the OCD overdrive, but hosted an small event this past Saturday. The game room is still a work in progress, but here are some pics of how its coming along. Added some black lights from Amazon to try to recreate an arcade vibe.

IMG_9232.JPG

Had a AC mini split installed to keep the room cool. Garage is on its own sub panel so everything can be turned on without anything tripping. Here is my son and his buddies getting some time on Warlords. My friend Paul Dean and several KLOV members were kind of enough to cruise by and hang out a bit.

IMG_9245.JPG

Games are all set to operate on quarters. Have an old change machine that is kept full of quarters for guests to use.

IMG_9248.JPG

Though it was time consuming to get the garage ready, it was fun to host again after being away from the hobby for so long. The good news is now that the first one is out of the way, it will be much easier to host again moving forward. :)

IMG_9254.JPG

Have some other ideas to hopefully implement in the near future. For now will start focusing on trying to get the non working games fixed.

Anyways, things have certainly changed during the time I've been away, but am glad to see the hobby still thriving and am happy to have found this website. Hope to meet some of you in person at a future meet sometime :)

On other forums, I’m fatherpain on KLOV.... and Droid on Shmups/Neo-Geo.com so some of you may know me that way ;)

Last edited:
What an incredible collection, and I hope your wife loves it now.

Dibs on if you ever sell that Astro City 2! :thumbup: I'm right down the street from you! haha

+ Welcome to the community, this place is by far my fav on the net. There are so many amazing enthusiasts here. Hope you feel at home.

Holly shit balls ! You've got a couple of grails in there. Welcome to a nice chill place and nice to see you have chosen to enjoy a nice hobby again!

Last edited:
Holy moly what a setup! Definitely know a good local home for some of those cabs if you're looking to offload.

904E58B6-9400-4E34-B991-DE1D394FDF1A.jpeg

Thank you for the kind words and warm welcome fellas, really, really appreciate it. Games and parts were much easier to find back when I sought them out. :)

Spent some time re-arranging games and after a bit of trial and error, found an acceptable layout for now. Cocktails are difficult to place due to the space requirements over a normal cab. That said, after some playing around, have found a configuration that accommodates (3) tables and has a more open look, despite being a little cramped.

Added some battery powered mini LED accents from Amazon to highlight the scoreboard and comic books I'm using as art décor. These LEDs come with a remote and are affixed to the ceiling using 3M double sided tape. Great value as they come (2) to a pack that costs $16.

I'm hosting again this Friday from 7p to 12 midnight. If interested in attending please lmk, either here or via PM. My preference is for attendees to be covid vaccinated, if possible. I am limiting the number of attendees, so if unable to attend this one, there will be future dates as well.

1. Loegan43
2. Dewmansnk
3. Paul Dean
4. Kalan
5. Shadowkn55
6. Aux Switch (KLOV) will be DJ'ing 80's classics with lasers and fog machine. (have to double check fog is safe for games)
7. Kyosuke75
8. z0ner (KLOV)
9. LordofDoubleDee (KLOV) + son

041DC477-2F42-475D-8D2A-B62A251D5850.jpeg

Have ordered more of these LED mini lights to help illuminate the rest of the comics displayed. I don't have any arcade related artwork, so went with the old comic book stash.
Might try some led strip lighting to see what looks best.

A0A4E373-563C-451D-9A1B-6FAB06977237.jpeg

Would love to add black light carpet someday, but for now the epoxy floor doesn't look bad.

931201A9-78B3-44D3-8952-1E4D7B207805.jpeg

Was able to make additional space to squeeze in a 2nd candy cab with proper room between. One is set for horizontal to go along with a vertical one.

Last edited:
IMG_8805.JPG

Its hard to see in the dark, so here are pics of each game, taken as they were moved back into the garcade for anyone curious as to condition. HUO Sinstar - working

Last edited:
IMG_8799.JPG

After Burner Deluxe. Many NOS parts purchased from Mylstar, when he was still Videogameparts.com. NOS grips, triggers, springs, monitor plexi, various plastics. Have the missing parts in storage need to reinstall. Motors have been serviced with new brushes. Heavy duty caster wheels installed to channel iron and welded on to make moving super easy. When I first got it, was on a pallet jack because the original caster wheels couldn't take the weight and were crushed. Works.

Last edited:
IMG_8800.JPG

Super Sprint. Works. Nice condition, but missing side art.

Last edited:
IMG_8803.JPG

Black Widow that used to reside in the Ataricade and restored by Nash. Currently having a monitor issue where it shows some additional plot lines on the vectors. Hopefully a simple fix.

IMG_8806.JPG

Crystal Castles. New monitor and ultra precision track ball bearings installed. Works

IMG_8808.JPG

Punchout. Has a freeplay button installed. Need to convert it back to operate on quarters. Used to own a SPO PCB but lost it. Need to locate another one to swap in or make a 2 in 1. Works.

IMG_8813.JPG

Commando. This was one of the last games added to the collection before taking a long hiatus. Works.

IMG_8814.JPG

HUO Millipede. Purchased from Millipede WR holder Ben Gold. Ben won this in a contest back in the day. New monitor, ultra precision trackball bearings and new CPO and Marquee installed. Believe Ben and this game were featured in the documentary Chasing Ghosts.

E803564F-2308-41AF-BE12-3DC04836B247.jpeg

Assault. Could use some new side art. Believe TOG produced some while I was on hiatus. Will reach out one of these days to see if they can print some more. Controllers are NOS. NOS back plate and Marquee purchased from Mylstar. New monitor and glass. Matt Osborn HSS kit w/Assault+ installed. Works

Last edited:
Back