What's new

snake_eyes_ex

Professional
Reaction score
Hi my name is Dean!

Another 80's kid here looking for nostalgia. Obviously, I love games (and make them for a living). I'm a huge Street Fighter fan and miss the sounds and smells of arcades.

The boards here have already been a big help!

I just picked up an Astro City cab and plan on doing a full restoration. I'll catalog my restoration journey on the Arcade Projects thread.

Welcome, always nice to see more SoCal collectors.

Which Street Fighters do you play?

Welcome, Dean. Would love to see your restoration journey thread.

Welcome :)
Nice to see more people from So Cal popping up.

Hi Dean, I don't think you know me... but I recognized the style of your avatar/profile pic from a certain studio you worked at :) We probably know a lot of the same people... including some of my good friends who you must have worked with on GoW. Anyway, I recently joined too and am hunting for an Astro City as we speak. I'm looking forward to seeing your project! I'm also a SF fan. Good luck!

-Dana

ST, Alpha 3 and CVS2 are probably my favs.
Of those three ST is the one that gets played at my place the most, but I run all of them at various times. One of my cab pairs cycles through the Darksoft CPS2, with ST as the default unless I get a request or feel like switching it up. Have a Dreamcast with Brook adapters for CvS2, but not a lot of regular CvS2 players. That's more of a fire it up when they come through sort of thing.

Other Astro City set stays stuck on Third Strike, and then the Vewlixes run the modern games.

I miss offline, really looking forward to getting it back in our post-vaccine landscape.

Welcome! Good to see another SoCal member join the forum. I'm down in OC myself, but I have to sometimes drive up to LA here and there for work.

Nice choices of SF's. I love ST, and I want to learn more of CVS2, especially the SNK Grooves. Never put much time into the Alpha series though.

Did you grab that Astro City from OfferUp? The one with a picture if it running Pocket Fighter? If so, nice grab! The guy dropped his price down to $1150 recently and I thought someone might pick that up quick.

Welcome! Good to see another SoCal member join the forum. I'm down in OC myself, but I have to sometimes drive up to LA here and there for work.

Nice choices of SF's. I love ST, and I want to learn more of CVS2, especially the SNK Grooves. Never put much time into the Alpha series though.

Did you grab that Astro City from OfferUp? The one with a picture if it running Pocket Fighter? If so, nice grab! The guy dropped his price down to $1150 recently and I thought someone might pick that up quick.
Thanks opt2not!

I did get that exact Astro City from OfferUp.

I was able to get a better price since it didn't have a board and it was a bit more beat up in person, but overall it's in better shape than a couple I've seen on here. Eventually it will be in great shape!

I was able to get a better price since it didn't have a board and it was a bit more beat up in person, but overall it's in better shape than a couple I've seen on here. Eventually it will be in great shape!
Nice job! Yeah I was watching that ad for a little while, thought about picking it up as a second Astro to my setup, but I ended up getting an Aero for really cheap. Now I've got a Sega Driving cab to work on, so I'm pretty full-up on space!

Good luck with the restoration. If there's any questions you have, feel free to reach out. I have a restored New Astro City, and the Aero City I've restored recently, so I can definitely give you some info if you need.

Nice job! Yeah I was watching that ad for a little while, thought about picking it up as a second Astro to my setup, but I ended up getting an Aero for really cheap. Now I've got a Sega Driving cab to work on, so I'm pretty full-up on space!

Good luck with the restoration. If there's any questions you have, feel free to reach out. I have a restored New Astro City, and the Aero City I've restored recently, so I can definitely give you some info if you need.
Since you are local (and for anyone else here who is)... do you have any recommendations for a SoCal shop that does sandblasting and powder coating?

Some other people here had their cabs re-finished and they look great.

Since you are local (and for anyone else here who is)... do you have any recommendations for a SoCal shop that does sandblasting and powder coating?
I haven't looked into that yet, but I will need to soon. I wanna do the Aero up properly. For now I just did some touch-up paint, but sometime this year I'd like to give it the full treatment.

I'll chime in and say that the a local powder coat shop told me the astro would likely not survive the powder cost treatment, since it is not metal.

Yeah, you can't powder coat Astros, they're fiberglass, not metal, except for a few areas like the front doors. I highly doubt you would want to sandblast them either, for the same reason.

If you're interested in a shop doing work on them what you want is a place that does auto body painting. As always with this kind of thing the bulk of the cost is in the prep, so the more work you do yourself the cheaper it will be to drop off and get it all painted.

Yeah, you can't powder coat Astros, they're fiberglass, not metal, except for a few areas like the front doors. I highly doubt you would want to sandblast them either, for the same reason.

If you're interested in a shop doing work on them what you want is a place that does auto body painting. As always with this kind of thing the bulk of the cost is in the prep, so the more work you do yourself the cheaper it will be to drop off and get it all painted.
That's a good point. I guess the powder coat example I've seen are of Egrets.

Has anyone gotten an Astro City repainted on here?

Astros are closer to boats and yachts in their finish.
they are fiberglass with gelcoat.
You’d be better off taking it to a boat place to get the same finish.

Back