What's new

plan9

Beginner
Reaction score
I don't really know which forum I should be doing this in so I'll start here. Please let me know which one would be more appropriate.

Finally joined the club and I want to ditch the Pandora Box Dx Special it came with for my old pc.

It's a Sega Blast City with SEGA 001 JAMMA with add on for JVS. It's got a Wei-Ya Auto Tri-Sync Monitor 15Khz (CGA), 24Khz (EGA) and 31Khz (VGA).

I bought this board so I can use the button panel as 2 joysticks in windows. I thought this is what I needed but I'm not sure if I'm using it properly or it's not what I actually need.
https://www.hollandcomputers.com/st...ce-to-2-USB-PC-Joystick-Jamma-Mame-p10642.htm

I tried connecting the converter board to the Jamma connection in pic 4 (see link). It was getting a signal but it was flicking and clearly not syncing with the monitor. I connected the VGA looking cable directly to my PCs integrated graphics as it is the only VGA port I have on a modern system. It's an intel based system with a i7-4770k.
  1. From some googling, it seems I need to use CRT Emudriver?
  2. Am i going to need to build a AMD based system to get this working?

PICS!
https://imgur.com/a/bATcRhS

Generally speaking you will need to use CRT Emudriver, or the Groovy Arcade OS. You will need an AMD graphics card, but it basically doesn't require any graphical horsepower whatsoever, just get a bottom of the barrel $20 radeon hd card or something off of ebay. More important is the CPU's single threaded performance, especially if you plan to use frame delay (which allows you to minimize input latency while still maintaining vsync for tear-free emulation).

Since you have a trisync monitor which supports 31khz, you may want to take a look at this link: https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/mame-for-31khz-cabinets
You don't necessarily have to follow this one in particular, but it should make moving between a test bench monitor and your Blast City a bit easier.

Generally speaking you will need to use CRT Emudriver, or the Groovy Arcade OS. You will need an AMD graphics card, but it basically doesn't require any graphical horsepower whatsoever, just get a bottom of the barrel $20 radeon hd card or something off of ebay. More important is the CPU's single threaded performance, especially if you plan to use frame delay (which allows you to minimize input latency while still maintaining vsync for tear-free emulation).

Since you have a trisync monitor which supports 31khz, you may want to take a look at this link: https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/mame-for-31khz-cabinets
You don't necessarily have to follow this one in particular, but it should make moving between a test bench monitor and your Blast City a bit easier.
Sweet. I never throw any hardware out so I still have my Radeon HD 4870 which appears to be supported.
I think my i7 4770k should be enough for my purposes. Won't know until I try though.
Thanks

Congrats on the new cab, and welcome!

Sweet. I never throw any hardware out so I still have my Radeon HD 4870 which appears to be supported.
I think my i7 4770k should be enough for my purposes. Won't know until I try though.
Thanks
You'll not want to use a Radeon card that is less than the HD5000 series. I mean you could, but it requires fast cable switching during setup that has to be done rather fast and is a huge pain point. If you miss, you have to reboot into Safe Mode, and hopefully you were smart enough to set a restore point before you attempted to enable EDID in CRT Emu.

Get a used Radeon HD5000 or higher series card. It will cost you $10 shipped off eBay. If it is just MAME, you can get the lowest model in the series to save you $$$. MAME emulation is all CPU so the GPU doesn't play a part in processing.

I don't know how well those Holland Computer PC-to-JAMMA adapters work, but let us know.

You'll not want to use a Radeon card that is less than the HD5000 series. I mean you could, but it requires fast cable switching during setup that has to be done rather fast and is a huge pain point. If you miss, you have to reboot into Safe Mode, and hopefully you were smart enough to set a restore point before you attempted to enable EDID in CRT Emu.

Get a used Radeon HD5000 or higher series card. It will cost you $10 shipped off eBay. If it is just MAME, you can get the lowest model in the series to save you $$$. MAME emulation is all CPU so the GPU doesn't play a part in processing.

I don't know how well those Holland Computer PC-to-JAMMA adapters work, but let us know.
As my first attempt, I'm going with groovyarcade. I can get mame working, but I think I need to install it while connected to the cabinet monitor. I'm still experimenting.
As for the Holland board, it's picking up all the buttons on the panel. I think the audio amplifier is weak though. The sound output is kind of low even at the max level. But the sound is coming out of the cabinet speakers.

And i'll go ahead and order a 5000 series gfx card just in case I want to try windows. Like you said, they're cheap.

Well, I lied. I installed windows 7 and used a HD 5870 that I forgot I had and it's looking working well. The room looks like a mess with a tower outside the cabinet but that's problem for another day. Thank you all for your help. Once I have everything the way I want, I'll do a proper writeup with pictures. But for now, it's tetris grand master 2 plus time. :)

Back