What's new
The wording on the original diag bios is kinda crappy for explaining this. On MV1B and MV1C board in order to use the diag M1 cart you need to power-on with D+B held down. This lets the diag bios know to expect the diag M1 but to not do a slot switch. A slot switch is needed on all other mvs boards because at power-on they will use the SM1 rom on the motherboard and have to be told to switch to the cart's M1. MV1B/C don't have an SM1 rom on the motherboard and directly uses the carts M1.

No matter what is done (nothing, holding D, or holding D+B) at power-on the diag M1 is going to run on those boards so at a minimum you should be getting the "i'm running" jingle.

Given what you see with stock/unibios I suspect the diag m1 is not even running. I would check the following things

1. Using logic probe verify you see pulsing on the z80's clock pin
2. Using logic probe verify a low then high signal on z80's reset pin at power-on
3. Using multi-meter verify continuity between Z80's address and data lines to SDA0-SDA15/SDD0-SDD7 on the cart slot (CHA board)

There are additional M1 related signals on the cart edge (SDMRD, SDROM, SDRD0, SDRD1) that you should check for continuity for, but I don't know where they come from on the MV1B.

The wording on the original diag bios is kinda crappy for explaining this. On MV1B and MV1C board in order to use the diag M1 cart you need to power-on with D+B held down. This lets the diag bios know to expect the diag M1 but to not do a slot switch. A slot switch is needed on all other mvs boards because at power-on they will use the SM1 rom on the motherboard and have to be told to switch to the cart's M1. MV1B/C don't have an SM1 rom on the motherboard and directly uses the carts M1.

No matter what is done (nothing, holding D, or holding D+B) at power-on the diag M1 is going to run on those boards so at a minimum you should be getting the "i'm running" jingle.

Given what you see with stock/unibios I suspect the diag m1 is not even running. I would check the following things

2. Using logic probe verify a low then high signal on z80's reset pin at power-on
3. Using multi-meter verify continuity between Z80's address and data lines to SDA0-SDA15/SDD0-SDD7 on the cart slot (CHA board)

There are additional M1 related signals on the cart edge (SDMRD, SDROM, SDRD0, SDRD1) that you should check for continuity for, but I don't know where they come from on the MV1B.
I powered on the system with buttons B + D pressed and I got this screen.

Best Regards,
iTRDC2

Besides this board I have another MV1B with exactly same symptoms, so I don't think it is a bad trace. Do you agree?

In the meanwhile I will check the 3 points that you mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
iTRDC2

Back