What's new

Ondskan

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Alon and I'm new to this forum and arcades in general.
I'm a video game collector and I like 3rd Strike. I play constantly in Fightcade. other 3rd Strike ports are pretty bad.
I had a vacation in Japan and I played 3rd Strike on arcade machines almost every day and I loved it so much!
I want that experience at home but I'm lost in all CPS3 guides on the internet including which accessories do I need to buy and use.
There is a dealer that sells CPS3 3rd Strike NCD version and I really want to buy it, I just don't have enough knowledge to know what exactly I need extra.

My main goal:
Buy CPS3 with 3rd Strike.
Buy a case for it so I can carry it with me to friends and such.
Find a proper power supply and connect it to CRT via RGB/alternatives that there are. (In my country we use 220v 50hz)
If it's possible, have an HDMI converter so I can also play on modern TVs.
Converter that will allow me to connect PS4 USB controllers (I also have Brook converter) so It will be easy for people to connect their controllers.

Any information and suggestions will be helpful.
Thank you very much!

You probably want a SuperGun, either HAS or the Minigun will suit you just fine. Mean Well power supplies are the gold standard, and I believe they can be switched to 220V.

For HDMI output, you can either use a external scaler like the RetroTink series (cheap-ish, doesn't require mods to the board), or you could get a CPS2/3 Digital HDMI mod installed (expensive, not trivial) to get pure digital output.

For controllers, I think you can use something like the Undamned USB to DB-15 converters or similar products.

Good luck!

I received the CPS3 with 3rd Strike. I also bought from Axunworks "Arcade JAMMA SUPERGUN-MINI control board", "DB15 to USB" and a Scart cable.
Everything works like a charm!
The only issue that I have is that I bought the CPS3 with the hardness kicks cable but it doesn't have the other end. I can order from Axunworks the correct cable but he is asking 48 USD to ship a 16 USD cable.
1. Is there any way that I can use this cable?
2. How do I turn off the CPS3 safely? is it ok to just disconnect it from the power?

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-08 at 13.03.08_2ee5f06c.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-08 at 13.06.58_397129b6.jpg

1. Yes you can use that cable but you need to join it to the supergun, ideally with the correct connector or solder direct.
2. Yes that’s fine.

48 dollars to ship a small cable seems very high, what you need only weighs about 25g and is the size of a Twix when wrapped.

But perhaps the shipping is insured and tracked.

I received the CPS3 with 3rd Strike. I also bought from Axunworks "Arcade JAMMA SUPERGUN-MINI control board", "DB15 to USB" and a Scart cable.
Everything works like a charm!
The only issue that I have is that I bought the CPS3 with the hardness kicks cable but it doesn't have the other end. I can order from Axunworks the correct cable but he is asking 48 USD to ship a 16 USD cable.
1. Is there any way that I can use this cable?
2. How do I turn off the CPS3 safely? is it ok to just disconnect it from the power?

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-08 at 13.03.08_2ee5f06c.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-08 at 13.06.58_397129b6.jpg

Since it's that close - I would just some female-female dupont wires.

Have you tried turning off those switches marked BUTTON 4/5 and BUTTON 6 ?

Actually I think those are in the right position.. so not sure.🤔

It *looks* right to me - you don't need both grounds hooked up, just one... but it shouldn't stop it from working.

I am not 100% sure where pin1 is on the cps3 connector - what if you move them up to the top row?

It *looks* right to me - you don't need both grounds hooked up, just one... but it shouldn't stop it from working.

I am not 100% sure where pin1 is on the cps3 connector - what if you move them up to the top row?
You are correct! I moved them up and now everything works! I'm stupid for not thinking of that.
Thank you, man!
I connected Player 1 and Player 2 and it works!
photo_2024-07-09_00-46-24.jpg

Crud, I made sure Israel was in the list of countries that the seller would ship to before posting the link but I didn’t know the cost would be so outrageous.

Back