What's new

duffcon

Professional
Reaction score
xpost from Sega 16b support:

Hi all. I'm working on burning some ROMs for the Sega System 16b multi. My setup is a GQ-4x4 with a ADP-054 adapter.

I was able to write u14 (27C080) without issue. I've also burned many
other roms that did not require the adapter without issue.

The larger roms (M27C322) require the adapter. Initially my writes
failed around the 50% mark. Then I saw J1 needs to be jumped to 2-3
instead of 1-2 for 27c322 (it literally says it on the PCB). My writes
now complete, but fail immediately at the verify step. I've tried 5
different eprom chips.

I've tried J5 which is the jumper for compatibility issues in either
setting. I've tried slowing the write down from +2 to 0 and also -2.
I've tried with and without an external power adapter, though the device
is plugged directly into the laptop.

This is my log buffer if it helps:

27c322.bin.
ID check skipped
Writing... Buffer
Elapsed time: 459.80 seconds.
Device write completed OK
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed, Address=0x000A15, Device=0x07, Buffer=0x00
Verify Failed
Elapsed time: 162.61 seconds.

Appreciate any help.

have you tried re loading the rom file in the software?

I have the same set up and can confirm the m27c322 will write and verify fine without an external power. I also use a laptop. Your roms can just be bad as well. How many have you tried?

Yeah, i've also tried some of the other roms in the pack. I've tried 6 different chips, same issue. Its possible some chips are bad, but all 6? Are you doing anything other than the default settings?

you can see the verify fails right away because of the difference in the first line:

Left side is on the chip, right side is the rom image. Every other line that i've checked matches; I wonder if that 06 vs the ff really matters?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    447 KB · Views: 230
The wierd part is every chip I write with that adapter fails veify on my gq4x4 external adapter or not. Oddly every single one of the chips I wrote works. So I stopped worrying.

The wierd part is every chip I write with that adapter fails veify on my gq4x4 external adapter or not. Oddly every single one of the chips I wrote works. So I stopped worrying.
this is what I’m hoping, I’ll just ignore the fails

still same issue. Multi works with odd issues, probably related to bad burns.

Tried New ROMs, same issue. Tried another PC, fresh software and drivers, same issue. I’m not sure what else to do.

Hi,

I use the burner with this adapter for a long time (burn a lot of cps2 eprom) without any issues.
Important : UV erase the large chip like 27C322 with long time range : minimum 2x pass of 30min (not less)
Otherwise you'll not erase it completely hand have issue for sure.

Always perform a blank check before erase. (not in your burning log)
Sometime, even if blank check success, the write fails if the eprom is nasty.

Be sure to use last software update and disable all usb/system power save

Can you please post picture of your adapter ?
is an official adapter or a copy ? original have jumper for large eprom on left side.

Thanks

All of the roms passed a blank check before writing.

i did update to the most current drivers and software as of a week ago. Every chip fails a verify immediately.

here is a pic

Attachments

• A7D34BEA-E395-4B98-AAA4-A5CE61EB6014.jpeg
    A7D34BEA-E395-4B98-AAA4-A5CE61EB6014.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 415
Thanks
same jumper on mine, perhaps the socket have bad contacts ? or adapter is defective ?
i live in France, i can test it if needed to confirm where the issue is :) (i've same programmer and same adapter, i think have some 27C322)
did you double-check your soft settings and physical contact between programmer and adapter ?
and also another 27C322 from different package/source ?

Thanks
same jumper on mine, perhaps the socket have bad contacts ? or adapter is defective ?
i live in France, i can test it if needed to confirm where the issue is :) (i've same programmer and same adapter, i think have some 27C322)
did you double-check your soft settings and physical contact between programmer and adapter ?
and also another 27C322 from different package/source ?
Soft-settings are default; single write, auto verify. I've tried all 5 speed settings.

I've re-seated the adapter many times.

I ordered a few more ROMs from another source and have the same results.

Thanks for your help.

I just tried burning the rom set that came with my s16 multi. I was able to eventually get all of the roms programmed, but I did have a hell of a time. I tried using 27C322 and M27C322 device configurations. I tried using the different speeds. I moved CN5 jumper around, didn't do anything. I tried a bunch of things... ultimately it boiled down to just keep erasing the chips and trying to write them. Just because they passed a blank test doesn't mean they're good to go?

The "NOS" eproms I have are also labelled ST, but the die and window are much smaller. Those ones wrote and verified first try. They don't have the legs pushed in yet, so I guess that's how you know they're NOS?

Just because they passed a blank test doesn't mean they're good to go?
Hi
If blank test failed, you cannot write on it where the data is already present. Blank test must be OK before writing data. So, go to erase it more long time with UV. (Personnaly i erase them more than 1 hours before doing anything)

Hi
If blank test failed, you cannot write on it where the data is already present. Blank test must be OK before writing data. So, go to erase it more long time with UV. (Personnaly i erase them more than 1 hours before doing anything)
Yes... but I was getting a pass on blank, but then writing would fail or verification would fail. I would then blank the chips again for a longer period of time and try again. I was able to get all but 4 of the chips to eventually write and pass verification this way. The NOS chips I used did not take multiple erase/write cycles to take... they worked first try.

Strange i had the same issue in the past when eeprom are bad.

Strange i had the same issue in the past when eeprom are bad.
Yes, I believe the eproms were bad, or going bad? The UV erase part of the chip is separate to the reading part, so I think they're good now. I will never reprogram these chips again.

I reread your earlier post and it is spot on. I didn't need to do 2x 30m cycles but I agree longer is better. I use a Spectroline PE-140T and it has a long bulb that lets me erase 4-6 chips at a time. I wouldn't put a specific time on it because every eraser is going to have a little bit different properties. Mine wasn't working reliably around 10m. 20m it worked "most" of the time. 30m it was working reliably.

@duffcon if you're having an issue with your chips passing blank check but not actually writing or verifying correctly I would try erasing them again, longer. Keep stepping up the exposure duration by 10m until you get it to work.

I was using an external 9v power supply, but I don't think it's strictly necessary? I have one that I keep with the burner though and I just hook it up always when I am programming.

Thanks for the additional info. I ended sending the chips to @ShootTheCore and he found several bad chips. It's entirely possible that my chinesium rom eraser wasn't doing the job, but there were a couple of times I left chips in there for over 45 minutes and they still didn't verify. He burned the set for me so I should be good to go. He mentioned in his experience these chips seems to have a high failure rate, around 25% in his experience.

Back