What's new

Catcopter

Beginner
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide for wiring power in a jamma cab.

Thanks.

jamma_pinout.png

Here's the JAMMA pinout, basically connect each of the wires to the applicable source in your cab and you're good to go.

Cheers for the reply. So I've attached as pictured bellow. There are two connections for ground but I only have one wire does this matter.
IMG_20210106_182558873.jpg

As long as you’ve connected all 8 points (top and bottom) on the JAMMA using thick gauge wire, to that one wire, it should be fine.

Okay onto the next problem the AC coming into the cab is incomplete and I'm not sure what's missing. Photos bellow. The first picture is the power cable coming from the monitor I have no where for this to go. The second is the power coming into the cab ends at this connector.
IMG_20210106_182946106.jpg
IMG_20210106_182930032.jpg

Are your pics in reverse order? The first set of connectors look like they would plug in to an AC socket, like this:

s-l500.jpg

However, if they're indeed for the monitor, I guess they could plug into a terminal block like this, but I would surprised by it:

Terminal_Blocks_Metway_Ta.jpg

The second image shows a Mate 'n Lok connector. It will plug in to a matching 3-pin female connector.

No that's the right way round. Not sure if the monitor cable was for this cab originally came in a box of wires not connected. Would the monitor usually be connected straight to the PSU. Thanks.

Would the monitor usually be connected straight to the PSU. Thanks.

Sure, if the PSU is also an AC distribution point. However, I've never seen one that you plug spade connectors into.

What cab is it?

It's just a generic wooden Jamma cab. Im in the UK if that makes any difference.

What AWG are those cables? I'd use at least two for +5V and GND, specially if the cables are longer than 10 inches or you are going to power relatively big boards.

I'm currently using 3x for +5V and 3x for GND with success (18 AWG, 10" long).

Not sure of wire gauge harness was bought premade. Will be used with MVS one slot.

I don't think it was mentioned yet, in UK they have different standard AC wire colors than in US. In general there will be 3 conductors for single phase AC. Live (or Line), Neutral, and Ground. This is Earth Ground, which is not the same as common ground on DC circuits.

USA
L: Black
N: White
G: Green

UK
L: Brown
N: Blue
G: Yellow/Green

Wire gauge for AC cables inside the cab should be between 14 and 18 AWG. Typically 18 is cheaper and still safe so it will be that. If someone custom made a cabinet it could be whatever they had on hand.

Does your monitor require an isolation transformer? Is there one present in the cab? If there's one there I would use it regardless. Having connectors that disconnect is definitely handy, but not necessarily a requirement. The reason I assume it has an iso is those kind of terminal ends look like they could plug directly onto the secondary side of a transformer. Not sure why the ground cable would have that connector though?

If you don't do this stuff often and don't have any of the connectors on hand, a crimping tool, pins, etc... you may just want to hardwire everything together? However, real ops will look down on your work if you pass it on later. If you ever had to remove the monitor to service it in the future... having everything hard wired together makes that difficult.

edit: we went pretty in depth on AC wiring previously in this thread. https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/how-to-add-earth-ground.13418/

Here is a pic of monitor, I assume as it is asking for 240v then a transformer is not necessary?

IMG_20210114_145502868.jpg

Yeah, the Polo won't need an isolation transformer. Just plug it in to mains.

I didn't know there were 28" monitors? interesting... I'm guessing that the mains voltage in UK is 220 or 240 or thereabouts? I don't know if you need an isolation transformer but if your power leads have those kind of quick disconnects on it, it would make sense to me?

I didn't know there were 28" monitors?

It's a European 28" / 66cm. It's super common here. Like everything came in that size. I don't think you have them at all.

Anyway, Polos don't need ISOs.

More than likely the power lead he has for the monitor is actually for the cab. I wouldn't be surprised if the cab originally had a Hantarex PSU too. Hantarex used Mate 'n Lok connectors on power cables. So a power lead goes from the back of the AC socket to the PSU and then another lead from the PSU to the monitor. The connectors used for both are likely the same 3-pin ones. Otherwise the spade connectors make no sense.

Last edited:
Back