What's new

kaicer

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a naomi hooked to a supergun, the I/O I have is the sega that is in the black metal case. I have the supergun controller port wired like the one in jammanation with the coin switch (pin 16 & T) wired to the pin 3 (select) on the db15. But the coin in not registering when I press the button on the controller on both ports and is wired correctly on the controller too.
Also I need to know how to spoof the coin counters so I can boot certain games that need that.

Thanks in advance.

PD. The service switch (pin R) on the jamma when I press it, it gives credits to the naomi is that common?

It is quite normal for 'service' to issue a credit. I can't think off the top of my head any games that do not do that on the NAOMI.

Normally with a JAMMA IO like the one you're using you don't need to spoof coin counters. Maybe the Sega V2 one you have is different (It's one of the few IO boards I do not own to test).

When I used to use a capcom IO I never had to spoof counters. Just a normal short of 'coin' to ground registered a coin. I only have had to spoof counters on the pure JVS IO boards in my net city cabinets.

The Service button is meant to give a credit. It is so that when an operator fixes an issue, such as the machine taking your money, they can issue you a credit without moving the coin meter. This was so it didn't affect bookkeeping. For example when I worked for Namco at Alladin's Castle the tokens in the box had to match the amount since the last meter reading. We had to log every time a machine took a token from a customer. In order for them to prevent workers from playing games for free or giving undetectable free games we received a memo one day to go to every machine and cut a foot out of the service credit wire so the service switches could no longer be used.

Some games such as SF4 do REQUIRE coin meters to boot. You can spoof it by connecting a 100ohm resistor between the coin meter pin and ground on the I/O or use my S-JIHP for your controls which spoofs the coin meter for you.

It seems wired correctly... Pins 16 and T from the JAMMA edge.
jamma_pinout_engadget_howto.jpg

To pin 3 (for each player's connection) of the DB15 connector.
db15_laugh.PNG

It was very common for arcade manufacturers to map additional coin-up to test or service buttons.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Konami) even did this with button #4 on player two's controls...
I think they figured since the cab was designed with only 2 buttons no one in the arcade setting would have player two button 4 wired up.

I know with sega JVS IO you have to spoof coin counters for certain games (shikigami no shiro II comes to mind). However, when I used a capcom JAMMA IO, never had to spoof them, the game worked fine without them. Perhaps other games handle it differently.

Like Mitsurugi-w said, you can spoof the counters with a resistor between their pins and ground if you want to try it. However, the lack of a meter or resistor should only stop the game from booting, not from accepting credits if it does boot. What game or games are you testing with?

I've got capcom & sega V2 and games work fine with the capcom io but won't coin-up with the sega one. I had one with a resister fitted and that worked, unfortunately I sold it and didn't take a picture of the mod first.

Is good to know I don't need to spoof the counters with the sega I\O, but the coins not registering persist. I connect the cps2 MVC and it takes the credits fine on both controller ports. I connect the I\O again and power up the naomi and no creditss at all. Could the I\O gone bad? I'm no expert with the I\O and the naomi setups at all.

Is good to know I don't need to spoof the counters with the sega I\O, but the coins not registering persist. I connect the cps2 MVC and it takes the credits fine on both controller ports. I connect the I\O again and power up the naomi and no creditss at all. Could the I\O gone bad? I'm no expert with the I\O and the naomi setups at all.
Judging by penrhos post you might need to spoof them. I have only spoofed them on JVS not JAMMA setup, but I would guess it's the same. Can someone confirm that OP should just need to connect JAMMA pins J and 8 each to ground via 100 ohm resistors?

edit: On JAMMA IO you might need to wire the coin count pins to 5v via a resistor, not ground like on JVS IO. See http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45509

They can't seem to agree if you need 100 ohm or 100kohm... big difference there. Judging by this thread 100ohm should do it. http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=23905

Last edited:
OK that good thanks skate, I'll try that to see if that works.

Just to confirm what I said above.

Pana Custom & Sigma Rajin Supergun + Capcom JVS->JAMMA convertor with Naomi-1 coins up fine (player 1 coin only so need to ensure game is set for single coin mech).

Pana Custom & Sigma Rajin Supergun + Sega V1 JVS->JAMMA convertor with Naomi-1 coins up fine (player 1 coin only so need to ensure game is set for single coin mech).

Pana Custom & Sigma Rajin Supergun + Sega V2 JVS->JAMMA convertor with Naomi-1 doesn't coin up.

I had a Sega V2 (the one in the black metal box) that had a resistor soldered onto the JAMMA edge connector that would coin up fine but I can't remember what the value was and what pins it was connected too, although I'm pretty sure it was only fitted to one side of the connector - presumably to spoof the P1 coin counter.

Did you get this to work? I have a Sega JVS IO v1 which I wired up to my coin mech (pin 45 on the JVS IO), however it doesn't register any coins. Does the coin meter need to be spoofed in order for coin functionality to work? I was assuming some games wouldn't boot without it, but I'm not too sure about that now...

Btw I didn't hook up the COM (ground) on the coin mech, just the signal wire NO (normally open), could that be a problem?

Last edited:
Btw I didn't hook up the COM (ground) on the coin mech, just the signal wire NO (normally open), could that be a problem?
a coin mech needs power (usually 12v) AND ground, plus the coin output signal wire.
how do you expect it to work if you don't connect all the wires?

Be nice. Not everyone has your knowledge base. Especially not me. We want people to come here to learn also. It's the only way to keep the hobby alive. :)

Well, I should have phrased it better, I grounded it but not to the JVS IO which shouldn't matter. Rewired the ground to the IO now as well, same result. I don't think it needs power though, the coin meter needs 5v so you might be mistaken with that one?

I'll go out and get a 100ohm resistor this week, hopefully it will work then.

Well, I should have phrased it better, I grounded it but not to the JVS IO which shouldn't matter. Rewired the ground to the IO now as well, same result. I don't think it needs power though, the coin meter needs 5v so you might be mistaken with that one?

I'll go out and get a 100ohm resistor this week, hopefully it will work then.
As you asked in your previous post, you need to spoof the COIN METER not the coin mech. Do it as the diagram below states.

Lex4Z8m.jpg

Yeah was planning on doing so, I'll let you know how that works out.

I understand it's the meter which needs to be spoofed, but Mr T. was talking about the mech which needs power, for mine (NAC) that's not the case :)

a coin mech needs power (usually 12v) AND ground, plus the coin output signal wire.
how do you expect it to work if you don't connect all the wires?
In Europe yes, because there are so many different types of coins used the mech needs electronics to determine the number of credits to issue given the coin that was inserted. In the USA and Japan coin mechs don't have any electronics and the coin is just registered by a simple, common ground, switch like any other button. Some coin doors do have 12V for a lamp to light up the reject button but that's really a feature of the cabinet design and is not tied into the game or I/O board electronics.

valid coins are determined based on the width diameter, weight and sometimes magnetism and this is handled mechanically... hence why it's called a coin "mech".

------------

Also I keep hearing people repeat that the coin counter pin needs to be tied to ground with a resistor... it needs to be tied to +5V not ground...

Even still, I don't think this will solve the issue that the OP is having. games that require the coin meter to be spoofed will flat out not boot if they're not connected. I've never seen a game refuse to register coin drops due to a lack of an attached coin meter. as I said they're expecting a simple common ground button just like everything else.

I don't know if the NAOMI is like this but some games do check the time that the coin switch is down if it's too short or too long it wont register a coin drop (perhaps assuming that it's being manually manipulated instead of a legit coin drop)

My suggestion: check to make sure you're connecting to the Player 1 coin switch and not the player 2 coin switch. Then I would check in the system menu and make sure you have the coin mech type set to "common". Also make sure your cost options are set to 1 coin 1 credit.

any of these settings being off could cause the coin to not register properly.

...or you could just set it to freeplay and not worry about coins in a supergun setup at all.

Interesting. Didn't realize how they worked in Europe.

I think that is the issue, the 5v is not connected to the coin mech, only the coin meter is. By spoofing the coin meter, it will be tied to the 5v (more or less indirectly)? Anyways, I will try it out and let you guys know whether it works by spoofing the coin meter or not :)

Some games need the coin meter to boot like Castle of shikigami. So it need to be spoofed even if you have it to free play.

Back