What's new

Evan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently received a Mellon 598 programmer and some proms looking to repair some Neo Geo mvs carts. I am however extremely confused on how to actually use it. I attempted to write some p roms to a mc0160 chips today however when the file finished programming it crashed my entire computer and caused it to power off. When I actually soldered in the p rom it didn't work. I am unaware also how to properly verify the file you wrote to a chip. I am using the official software. Anyone have guides on how to use these?

Here’s how to verify an EPROM with the official software:
1) Click the Load button and select the file that you programmed to the EPROM.
2) Click the Select button and choose the EPROM type. Choose the brand of the chip first and then the specific model number.
3) Click the Verify button. The EPROMs contents will be compared against the file you have loaded and it’ll tell you if they match or not.

I’d the EPROM didn’t program properly, erase it by putting it in an EPROM eraser for 30 minutes, then try programming it again.

Note that all EPROMs are pretty old at this point so sometimes they go bad and won’t take a program. Good idea to always keep a few spares on hand.

Here’s how to verify an EPROM with the official software:
1) Click the Load button and select the file that you programmed to the EPROM.
2) Click the Select button and choose the EPROM type. Choose the brand of the chip first and then the specific model number.
3) Click the Verify button. The EPROMs contents will be compared against the file you have loaded and it’ll tell you if they match or not.

I’d the EPROM didn’t program properly, erase it by putting it in an EPROM eraser for 30 minutes, then try programming it again.

Note that all EPROMs are pretty old at this point so sometimes they go bad and won’t take a program. Good idea to always keep a few spares on hand.
Have any idea why my computer will almost always completely crash when trying to write a file? It'll work sometimes but 9/10 times my computer will complexity do a hard shut down after I attempt to write anything. Its extremely frustrating.

I have a Wellon VP598. I think the USB interface is not 100% standards compliant. I use Linux as my main PC operating system. The official Wellon software is for MS window. I thought I would use the software through a windows virtual machine. I spent hours trying to get it to work. But the USB device wouldn't stay connected to the virtual machine. Once I switched to a real metal windows machine, i got it working.

I suggest plugging the Wellon directly into the PC. Don't use a USB hub.

I've never had my computer crash when using the Wellon. It sounds to me like something else is going on with your PC. If you have access to another PC, try the Wellon there and see if it behaves better. Otherwise, reinstall the Wellon software & driver, and also try to update any other drivers on your PC as well. Run an antivirus scan too.

Back